Trust Meeting with Football Laegue (1 Viewer)

Sky Blues

Oh, the minutes on the Trust website are longer. It continues:

We asked whether, in doing that, the Board would look at business plan proposals in the light of the recent accounts of the Club in the period leading-up to Administration, emphasising that no such accounts have been filed by the Club for the last two financial years. We said that the trading record of the Club, albeit under (theoretically) different owners, is relevant as most of the staff will be the same and the customer base is the same. We urged the FL to look very carefully at projected income figures in any plans submitted, especially if the plan involves playing “home” games away from Coventry.

PH said that these processes have to be conducted by the FL in private because of their financial sensitivity. He could not say how long they may take but he acknowledged our comment about how frustrating this can be for supporters. In the League’s view these are incredibly serious matters because the whole future of one of its member clubs is at stake, it therefore cannot be rushed. Once agreed the plan is then carefully monitored by the FL to ensure that the club is sticking to its plan and if not then the FL will work with the club to try and make it work.

The ultimate deadline for it to be completed would be the start of the 2014/15 season, as no Club can start two successive seasons in Administration. As that deadline approaches the Administrator would have to seek to move the process on as loss of the ability to pass the FL share to a purchaser after the start of the 2014/15 season would significantly reduce the value of the assets being sold.

We asked whether the FL would take account of the recently reported proposal to transfer Club employees’ contracts to Otium, which has been confirmed in writing to employees by Mr Fisher. PH said the FL could not comment on such issues for legal reasons.

If it is agreed that the FL share can be registered in the names of the new owner this will be subject to an ongoing monitoring process, through which the Board will monitor the club's performance against the proposals in the business plan.

We then moved on to discuss the position regarding the proposed ground share. A Club may only move to another ground with the approval of the FL under their regulations. An application to share a ground with another Club “will only be approved at the discretion of the Board. The Board will not generally approve any ground-sharing arrangement where the club plays its matches outside the conurbation, as defined by the Board, from which the Club takes its name or with which it is otherwise traditionally associated.” There are no other words in the regulations about the FL’s approach to ground sharing requests - no set distance within which shared grounds must be located or other criteria.

The League will treat any application to ground share on a private and confidential basis and is therefore unable to confirm whether an application had been received or not.

The FL would not allow a Club to move out of its locality temporarily whilst a new stadium is built, unless there was in place a strong “moving back” guarantee and several other conditions, although there was no set criteria list. He cited the example of Rotherham who had a high level of local authority support, fans support, a good sound financial plan, land, planning permission, only moved a short distance to Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield, club had to put up a £750k bond and the FL worked closely with all parties to ensure it worked.

PH stressed that the FL Board would have to consider any ground sharing request fully and properly on its individual facts as each case was different. Therefore, he could not speculate on what proposals might or might not be approved.

We took time to emphasise to PH the strength of feeling amongst Trust members to the proposed ground share, and Coventry fans in general through the various petitions and polls. PH stated that the FL is very aware of the strong feeling amongst Coventry fans.

We briefly discussed the “financial fair play” rules as they affect League 1 Clubs. The Salary Cost Management Protocol broadly limits spending on total player wages to a 60% proportion of each club's turnover, with clubs providing budgetary information to the FL at the beginning of the season that is updated as the campaign progresses.

Any club that is deemed to have breached the permitted spending threshold will be subject to a transfer embargo. Wherever possible, the FL will seek to tackle the issue 'at source' by refusing player registrations that take clubs beyond the threshold. For League 1 clubs the threshold will be 60% in 2013/14. In Leagues 1 and 2 equity injections of funding by owners can be included in the turnover.

We concluded by noting that there is much still to be decided. PH said that any relevant information provided by supporters generally and the Trust will be taken into account but stressed in matters of planning etc they could only take into account facts that could be backed by supporting documentation and not just rumour and conjecture.

He confirmed that FL representatives will be happy to meet the Trust again as the process continues and that we should keep in contact through agreed channels.

We thanked Peter for his time in traveling to meet us and for his openness.

28 June 2013

BrisbaneBronco

Great that SBT managed to meet the FL.
As for the minutes, nothing in them that gives any hope that Optium will not be passed as fit and proper. Doubt if they will be able to convince FL about ground share and new stadium.
To me, it looks like we will still be in admin at the start of the season, and Appleton will accept deal of playing at Ricoh for free.

TurkeyTrot

Good stuff.

Nothing particularly insightful out of it (not that I suppose any of us expected much revelation) but very good stuff for getting there, getting the information, providing the information.
If we had had a strong light and a pair of pliers we may have been able to extract more info but all we can do us ask the questions and publish the responses

Sky Blues

If we had had a strong light and a pair of pliers we may have been able to extract more info but all we can do us ask the questions and publish the responses

That might have been a tad unfair on Mr Hannon! By the way, I wasn't criticising the trust in saying this didn't give us concrete answers, just lamenting the situation we fans find ourselves in.

NorthernWisdom

Indeed. As I say, didn't expect revelations, but do think this is exactly the kind of thing the Trust should be doing, so can only give a thumbsup, if I could find the right smiley;)

TurkeyTrot

That might have been a tad unfair on Mr Hannon! By the way, I wasn't criticising the trust in saying this didn't give us concrete answers, just lamenting the situation we fans find ourselves in.

I know you weren't, we were hoping for a few revelations too but not expecting any. The good thing to come out of it is we have now sat face to face and it's clear that they will take the views of the fans into consideration. That's why it's important we make our voices heard.
What difference it'll make is anyone's guess but we can only try.

italiahorse

Extract from meeting ...
"For League 1 clubs the threshold will be 60% in 2013/14. In Leagues 1 and 2 equity injections of funding by owners can be included in the turnover"
Does this mean that SISU could inject equity into the club and this is regarded as an income.?
If that's the case they could just inject 20M into the club and get out of L1. If they wanted to !!!

mattylad

So, "Not a penny more" does have value, validity then, and may be a factor in FL thinking?
yes it does and more importantly the Trust have a line into the FL who have confirmed/clarified a number of important points

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

I know you weren't, we were hoping for a few revelations too but not expecting any. The good thing to come out of it is we have now sat face to face and it's clear that they will take the views of the fans into consideration. That's why it's important we make our voices heard.
What difference it'll make is anyone's guess but we can only try.

Very good
By the way must have missed the results of Mr Fishers fans survey can you or anybody else point me to where they have been published:thinking about:

TheOldFive

Indeed. As I say, didn't expect revelations, but do think this is exactly the kind of thing the Trust should be doing, so can only give a thumbsup, if I could find the right smiley;)

Totally agree. A well penned Filenote, plain, factual, clearly structured. Not from the same author of recent Trust Emails I think.
If this were the quality of output we could get from meetings with ACL, CCC, Sisu and maybe even Appleton that would be worthy collateral to have posted and on file. On from that, you could imagine a scenario where you bring the protagonists together to discuss differences but most importantly areas of agreement, pretty soon you'd be arbitrating and potentially ready to reconcile parties for the larger benefit of The Supporter's experience, which it appears they need reminding should be their chief concern as it drives all other success factors. Well, apart from reconfiguring this whole Panto into a big property play of course...

Last edited:

Noggin

So then, impossible to be out of admin by season start, will not be able to sign any players before season start, so pressley is deluded or lying to us.

SkyBlueSwiss

Well done to the Trust.
From the responses, I fear the worst. I fear that Otium will be a shoe in as new owners and will be granted the share.
I also fear that they will somehow convince the FL about the ground sharing and new stadium build. Why do I think that? Because the FL want to believe SISU as that is the line of least resistance.

ccfchandsy

All I wanted to know from the meeting is when a decision will be made ffs
Then I will worry about any other shitty bits

fernandopartridge

Extract from meeting ...
"For League 1 clubs the threshold will be 60% in 2013/14. In Leagues 1 and 2 equity injections of funding by owners can be included in the turnover"
Does this mean that SISU could inject equity into the club and this is regarded as an income.?
If that's the case they could just inject 20M into the club and get out of L1. If they wanted to !!!

And equity may not be real cash anyway, just more debt. Not sure how the rule helps anybody.

italiahorse

Well done to the Trust.
From the responses, I fear the worst. I fear that Otium will be a shoe in as new owners and will be granted the share.
I also fear that they will somehow convince the FL about the ground sharing and new stadium build. Why do I think that? Because the FL want to believe SISU as that is the line of least resistance.

It makes it a straight Black and white decision for me.
Ground share means I will end my 46 years support immediately.
No three years of mayhem for me followed by the prospect of a third rate stadium and god knows what league.

I have plenty of things to do in my retirement and I have always compromised these in support of CCFC home and away.

wingy

Those would be quite damning to SISU's plans given the FL is going to consider the fans feelings![/QUOTE
A little pressure applied to force publication would be useful ,although certain of us at the SCG meeting had It confirmed to us that a mere 25% were willing to travel outside the City to watch us.

J

Jack Griffin

No three years of mayhem for me followed by the prospect of a third rate stadium and god knows what league.

I have plenty of things to do in my retirement and I have always compromised these in support of CCFC home and away.

I'm feeling much the same way.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Where a CVA is not possible but the Administrator does have a buyer for the
Club, (for example if a creditor with sufficient voting power opposes the CVA)
the FL Board can “make an offer” to the Club as to the terms on which the Club
could come out of Administration and hold the FL share. In previous, but not
all, cases those offers have involved a further points deduction along with
other conditions.

So if ACL veto the CVA....and the FL then "make an offer" as quoted above......is that an offer that can be refused.....can the club effectively elect to remain in admin??:thinking about:

sky blue john

well reading into that the football league will hand over the share to otium and will monitor them and work with them !!!
So bollocks to the fans !!!
The key to all this was the administrator he was the decision maker !!!
The football league will be gutless wankers !!!

hill83

What if in 5 years we are in the champions league in a shiny new stadium in Broadgate? Still moody pants? Or bandwagon bob?

Purely hypothetical of course.

torchomatic

Users who are viewing this thread