Torch's Counselling Thread (2 Viewers)

RegTheDonk

Simon, really sorry to hear that.
It's obviously a difficult time for you and your family, but try and think positive if you can - I've had a particularly shit year, not going to bore anyone with details, but things have take an up turn in the last couple of weeks and life is looking a bit brighter. What I'm trying to say is, nothing is set in stone, there are always possibilities.

Macca

Torch, sorry I refuse to call you Simon! I enjoyed your posts and the hopefully construct debates over the years both here and on the old CET forum. Always admired how you have stood by your opinions and not taken a step back as frustrating as I may have found it. Basically I wish you only the best in this difficult time, a passionate city fan and from what I have gathered over the years a decent chap as well

torchomatic

Aw shucks, I love you guys.

torchomatic

Initial tests indicate I don't have lymphoma but they are doing other tests just to make sure, so got to wait another week.

If negative I will have one of two paths now; clinical trial or bone marrow transplant . All good fun.

Otis

Initial tests indicate I don't have lymphoma but they are doing other tests just to make sure, so got to wait another week.

If negative I will have one of two paths now; clinical trial or bone marrow transplant . All good fun.
That on the surface then is excellent news on the one front, Torch. No lymphoma, go ahead with the trial.

If they are saying you don't have lymphoma, these tests are just to confirm for sure.

Hopefully you will come back next week and confirm to us all that there is no lymphoma and then you can blast that leukaemia to hell!

oucho

So when will you next be able to go to a game? Might be hard to predict, i suppose.

phildownunder

Just learned this Torchy. Very sorry to hear of this.
You were one of the first to welcome me onto the old CET forum, and on this one, and I`ve always enjoyed your sometimes acerbic posts.
I`ve never met you and am not likely to, but in a strange way feel I know you at a certain level and was genuinely shocked at this news.
My brother in law came down with this ten years ago and after several courses of treatment recovered well. He is still with us and has suffered no relapses. Like you he had a very positive attitude and I`m sure this had some bearing on his eventual recovery.
Very good news on initial test for Lymphoma.
As a dyed in the wool Athiest I won`t pretend I`m going to pray for you but I can promise that you will be in my thoughts.

Best Wishes, Phil

mrtrench

Sorry to read this matey. My only advice is to take each day as it comes and follow their instructions to the letter. I have a close family member going through a similar situation (treatment ends next week). The side affects were bad but the hospital inspected last week and said that they were as mild as any they have seen as she followed all the instructions. Bizarre I know but it seems that many do not.

Paxman II

So sorry to hear your news and thank you for sharing. If you think we will go easy on you in future post you're so wrong! :)
Stay strong, this thing is beatable Simon and your inner strength will carry you through to a positive outcome.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Stay strong Torch. It's properly shit, but sounds like you may have had some more positive news in the last couple of days, I will be hoping for you that this is the case! I can only echo other people's thoughts, try to stay positive as much as you can, and I think it'll definitely help in the long term (although by default that means staying away from CCFC)!

It's good to talk about stuff and get it out in the open, especially on a board like this, where most people are decent even if we do love SISU/The Council :D. It's good to get a wider perspective from a variant of people too I think.

All the best Torch!

clint van damme

good news mate. Fingers crossed there's more to come.

torchomatic

Good news on Friday, I don't have lymphoma but I do have a cell disease called mastocytosis, so that will keep my leukaemia company. I'll be having a bone marrow transplant anytime from February.

Could be worse.

PTA

Good news on Friday, I don't have lymphoma but I do have a cell disease called mastocytosis, so that will keep my leukaemia company. I'll be having a bone marrow transplant anytime from February.

Could be worse.
Well you don't want it to be too easy do you?
Keep your head up torchy!

torchomatic

Well you don't want it to be too easy do you?
Keep your head up torchy!

True. In fact, my consultant told me that only two other people in the world have had this combination of rare type of leukaemia and this cell disease! Bloody typical .

torchomatic

What are you aiming for to get the unique combination?

Hopefully not! She did say that one of them had a BMT 18 months ago and was in remission, so that's good. She didn't mention the other one though.

So as far as the season goes the good news is I can go to games in January and the even better news is that I will miss the rest of the season!

I'll get me CCFC pyjamas out for when i go into hospital.

Nick

Administrator

Could be worse.

Still amazed at your positivity!

You just need Sky Blues player now to keep you company!

torchomatic

Still amazed at your positivity!

You just need Sky Blues player now to keep you company!

Nick, well as I said before I'm not much of a worrier and I meant it when I said things could be worse. A few weeks ago I was sitting in my pants in a hospital gown waiting for my CT scan. I sat next to this bloke dressed the same as me. We got talking like you do. He was in his late sixties and said that he had terminal lung cancer which had spread to his liver and other organs. He was dead calm and sad all this matter-of-fact. He said he has always smoked and drunk too much, he lived on his own with his dog and had no family. He said the only thing that made him said was the thought of not being around for his dog. After the scan he said he was going down the pub. Things could definitely be worse for me which is why i am positive . And bone marrow transplants happen every day so I'm not too worried about that, only issue is i will be in hospital for at least a month.

As for SBP. I do have that. I had kept meaning to cancel but I'll keep it now as it'll come in handy when I'm in Hospital in Brum surrounded by Blues and Villa fans!

Last edited:

torchomatic

Fine today, Dan. waiting at Warwick hospital at the mo for my weekly bloodtests. Might be going back to work part time in Jan as bone marrow transplant won't be until at least February so need to save some of that sick leave.

Bumberclart

True. In fact, my consultant told me that only two other people in the world have had this combination of rare type of leukaemia and this cell disease! Bloody typical .

That leaves you in a Champions League spot.
Good luck with the treatment.

torchomatic

That leaves you in a Champions League spot.
Good luck with the treatment.

Thanks. Mmm...this is weird for me as I'm never ill. Have a cold every few years.

duffer

Great to hear that there's some good news on the medical front Torch, though I appreciate that it isn't all plain sailing even now.

The least that could be hoped for is that those slackers on the pitch will now do their bit to cheer you up in your convalescence. I'll get the "Win one for Torchy!" banners printed ASAP, but if it's OK with you I'll hold back on them until the critical relegation six-pointers later in the season. :)

I was also going to get t-shirts printed with your name and 'Get Well Soon' on them so that the players could pull up their shirts after scoring. However on reflection I just don't think that we're going to get great value for that. ;)

Bumberclart

Thanks. Mmm...this is weird for me as I'm never ill. Have a cold every few years.

Unfortunately diseases like this are no respecters of health, age or fitness. Got a mate going through similar at the moment, and he was fit as a flea prior to the illness. He would think nothing of cycling 70-80 miles on a Sunday.
Like someone else said, follow the instructions to the letter and try to stay positive.

superskyblue

Good luck with your recovery Torch. You're a great contributor to this forum so it's great you've been able to use it to your benefit as 'counselling'.

I've recently had some health complications of my own - a dodgy heart it transpires (docs don't reckon it is CCFC related) - so I'm going to take your positivity as inspiration to remain positive myself.

Onwards and upwards!

Users who are viewing this thread