Torch's Counselling Thread (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Maybe it is making you Benjamin Button so you are really turning into a teenager again? :)

Get some Clearasil, cheap cider and get down the park :)

torchomatic

Don't know what dose you're on Torch, but take it easy coming off them. ease off them slowly.

Yeah, he's been doing that already. I was originally on 70MG a day (not sure in the grand scheme of things if that is a high dose or not), now I'm on 50MG one day and 40MG the next.

Last edited:

torchomatic

Ok so went today. Good news is genetic mutation which caused disease has gone. Other news is they still believe I do still have the disease but the graft (the transplant) is keeping it at bay. So the upshot is as long as the graft keeps working I should be ok.

My bone marrow is 96% donor and 4% me and my immune system is 93% donor and 7% me. Both within acceptable tolerance level. I have also taken on the blood group of my donor. Weird.

torchomatic

Sounds weird but as long as it's working :)

How are you feeling for tomorrow?

Yeah fine. Well up for it. Just get tired really easily. That is the only symptom really.

Grendel

Ok so went today. Good news is genetic mutation which caused disease has gone. Other news is they still believe I do still have the disease but the graft (the transplant) is keeping it at bay. So the upshot is as long as the graft keeps working I should be ok.

My bone marrow is 96% donor and 4% me and my immune system is 93% donor and 7% me. Both within acceptable tolerance level. I have also taken on the blood group of my donor. Weird.

Imagine if you discovered SBK was the donor

fernandopartridge

Good to hear. Enjoy your day up the match and fingers crossed the good luck continues.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mark82

Hope you're still doing well. Does this mean the donor immune system is fighting the disease off? Is the hope still that you get to a stage where the disease is completely gone or is it a case of controlling it?

Hope you enjoyed the game last week and that you have many more to come.

torchomatic

Hope you're still doing well. Does this mean the donor immune system is fighting the disease off? Is the hope still that you get to a stage where the disease is completely gone or is it a case of controlling it?

Hope you enjoyed the game last week and that you have many more to come.

Don't know to be honest. Because it is rare I don't think they know how it will behave. I have to have another bone marrow biopsy this week, plus a full CT scan, bone density test and normal appointment with consultant. In a couple of weeks I have to start a weekly dose of treatment to stop viral infections such as glandular fever, etc which apparently I am susceptible too now I've had a transplant.

Nick

Administrator
Don't know to be honest. Because it is rare I don't think they know how it will behave. I have to have another bone marrow biopsy this week, plus a full CT scan, bone density test and normal appointment with consultant. In a couple of weeks I have to start a weekly dose of treatment to stop viral infections such as glandular fever, etc which apparently I am susceptible too now I've had a transplant.

Is that forever or just because it's so soon?

torchomatic

Is that forever or just because it's so soon?

Just soon I think. Been quite confusing last few weeks to be honest and a lot seems to be happening again, which worries me a little.

Ashdown

I played golf yesterday with a guy I know quite well , he's 53 now, had/ still has a nasty case of a certain strain of Leukeamia that killed his Father. He had a bone marrow transplant a few years back now and takes a very expensive drug that comes specifically from America and costs the NHS a fortune but keeps him in fairly reasonable shape. The side effects are negligible but he has take medication strictly at certain times of the day and he has to take care of his liver by limiting alcohol. Good golfer too !

torchomatic

Finally got the all-clear yesterday, the disease has completely gone.

Just got to take it easy for another couple of months then I can think of going back to work, though it will only be about three hours a day initially.

Consultant said he was pleased as my strain of leukaemia is not only rare but can also be extremely aggressive. It is the first case they have come across and so they were making the treatment up as they were going along, but it seems to have worked which is the main thing.

Still have to attend weekly clinics to keep an eye on my blood counts. My dependency on the steroids (I am currently a bit of a moon face) and the anti-rejection drugs is going to be slowly decreased to let my new immune system fight the good fight. As it happens I had a cold and a cough this week, the first since I was diagnosed last October and my system fought it well. It is down to the transplant now. As the consultant pointed out I had mine three months ago but you cannot be confident a transplant is successful for three years, so a long way to go.

clint van damme

Just got to take it easy for another couple of months then I can think of going back to work, though it will only be about three hours a day initially.

Consultant said he was pleased as my strain of leukaemia is not only rare but can also be extremely aggressive. It is the first case they have come across and so they were making the treatment up as they were going along, but it seems to have worked which is the main thing.

Still have to attend weekly clinics to keep an eye on my blood counts. My dependency on the steroids (I am currently a bit of a moon face) and the anti-rejection drugs is going to be slowly decreased to let my new immune system fight the good fight. As it happens I had a cold and a cough this week, the first since I was diagnosed last October and my system fought it well. It is down to the transplant now. As the consultant pointed out I had mine three months ago but you cannot be confident a transplant is successful for three years, so a long way to go.

great news Torch - fingers crossed the transplant works in the long run. Have a great weekend with your family celebrating the news and hopefully 3 points!!

steve82

Good news to share, best wishes to you and your family. Well done.

Hopefully you can go back to just worrying about city's front or back 4 or the league table... normal service, normal days.

torchomatic

great news Torch - fingers crossed the transplant works in the long run. Have a great weekend with your family celebrating the news and hopefully 3 points!!

Thanks Clint. I'm sure my football club won't ruin my weekend.

Nick

Administrator

Amazing news :) we can stop being nice to you now and back to calling you Tim Fisher!

torchomatic

Brylowes

Fantastic news Torch, does this mean I can uncross my fingers as they're starting to ache:emoji_fingers_crossed:

Seriously though well done, I honestly believe that despite the undoubted brilliance of the medics
And the healing qualities of the medication, the best weapon we have 'when it comes to fighting
These dreadful diseases is our inner strength and positive attitude, it would seem you have plenty
Of both.:)

duffer

Result mate, that's brilliant - you must be tremendously relieved. Might as well get on those weights now, and get some decent value out of those steroids. :)

Anyway, well done fella, you've handled it with courage and humour - here's to hoping you don't have any more drama (other than CCFC related, that's unavoidable!) for a while.

fernandopartridge

Delighted for you mate

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

wingy

Great news torch
Was only thinking last night it would be great to hear some definitive positive news from you.
You must be mightily relieved best wishes and hope work soon provides the readies you've been missing. :)

vow

Top news Torch, very pleased for you indeed! :joyful:

Hopefully City will bring a further smile to your Moon!

lifeskyblue

Fantastic news. Take it easy and enjoy life. Hope the city today can give you an extra boost in this special week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranjit Bhurpa

Great news Torch. After what must have been months of worry and uncertainty for you and your family, it's surely the news you have all been waiting for.
One day at a time I suppose and very best wishes both now and for your future.

torchomatic

Great news Torch. After what must have been months of worry and uncertainty for you and your family, it's surely the news you have all been waiting for.
One day at a time I suppose and very best wishes both now and for your future.

Aw shucks, I love you guys.

vow

Aw shucks, I love you guys.
I'm torched.
giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread