Things that annoy you (8 Viewers)

Gazolba

Yes, what happens after they have just pulled out without looking and carry on driving at about 25 in a 50 when it is perfectly safe to do 40 - 45?
If someone pulls out without looking, you should be anticipating that and be driving at such a speed that you can brake in time. It's called defensive driving. You are not supposed to drive like a madman and expect nothing unusual to happen ahead of you. That is very poor driving and I can see you getting involved in lots of collisions in future if that is the way you drive.

skybluegod

And I completely disagree with you and the insurance companies strongly agree with me and disagree with you also.

Agree in some ways but disagree in others, I find that older drivers, forget some very simple but important aspects of driving, every time i go to work, which involves a number of roundabouts, older/more experienced drivers fail to use indicators, or take up the entire roundabout, which is dangerous for those waiting at the junction as they may pull out but the driver is coming all the way around but has not indicated so. Not only this, but as a young driver myself, I have found on a number of back roads, that despite doing the speed limit, people still ride your ass, expecting you to speed up. IMO older drivers, think because they have been driving for so long, they can ignore the basics, which is dangerous to other road users.
However, I do agree that young drivers, are more likely to drive either drunk or recklessly, a friend of mine seems intent on killing himself, with the stunts he attempts, and the speeds that he goes, but don't think it is fair to generalise that to just young drivers, I have seen many of my pubs regulars drive home after 10+ pints.

skybluegod

If someone pulls out without looking, you should be anticipating that and be driving at such a speed that you can brake in time. It's called defensive driving. You are not supposed to drive like a madman and expect nothing unusual to happen ahead of you. That is very poor driving and I can see you getting involved in lots of collisions in future if that is the way you drive.

Clearly Nick was going at an acceptable speed in order to break, so he had anticipated the possible hazard, but that doesn't make it any less infuriating, it's bad driving pulling out onto a 50 road like that, after all you aren't 1) supposed to pull out without looking. 2) Pull out when it is going to affect the driving of another road user, e.g. force them to slow down. That is very poor driving and i can see them getting involved in a lot of collisions in future if that is the way they drive.

Nick

Administrator

I did break in time, hence I didn't smash into him.

I was doing the speed limit, he pulled out without looking but it is my driving? How does that work?

Not sure if you are on a wind up or something, or do you just drive round as you want and just blame it on others not expecting it?

Sick Boy

The worst driving I see on the roads, especially motorways, is by older drivers. So many are oblivious to what's happening around them, they don't even realise when they'reach being flashed (not in a good way).

The overall standards of motorway driving in Britain is absolutely appalling, they'd be better off reducing them down to 2 lanes as the majority seem oblivious to the inside lane.

Middle lane drivers (AGAIN) ;)

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

people turning right at a roundabout indicating that way but not changing to indicate left when they're coming off. If you're going to indicate incorrectly then you may as well not bother.

Ranjit Bhurpa

The silly old twat this morning who decided that on a 50 road to pull out without looking cutting people up and then drive at 25 - 30 and then when I overtake him he sits flashing his lights and waving his arms about.
You have reminded me of the silly old twat who decided on a 50 road to pull out on a motorbike without looking, cutting people up and then ride at 25-30. When I finally overtook him, I noticed he was led flat on his back and steering the bike with his feet whilst also smoking a cigarette. So I shouted across 'Bloody idiot, you'll kill yourself'. To which he shouted back 'Don't be daft, I only smoke 5 a day'. :)

Otis

You have reminded me of the silly old twat who decided on a 50 road to pull out on a motorbike without looking, cutting people up and then ride at 25-30. When I finally overtook him, I noticed he was led flat on his back and steering the bike with his feet whilst also smoking a cigarette. So I shouted across 'Bloody idiot, you'll kill yourself'. To which he shouted back 'Don't be daft, I only smoke 5 a day'. :)
And I am down to 4 since then.

Nick

Administrator
Another one today, road by the Wallace that's 2 lanes often with cars parked. Man driving on inside lane coming up to cars doesn't look but just pulls out without looking not realising there was a car there.

Good job I had seen what he was going to do in advance!

oakey

Bloke in front of me at the Tesco checkout had his many items lined up in single file, including a box of paracetamol so that he filled the entire belt with about 20 items. Consequently I could not start loading my shopping on to the belt for some time. WTF?

ccfc92

I really don't understand how people can be so bad at driving.

Surely after driving for 10, 20, 30 years, you should be getting better and better.

The stuff you see, and pure idiocy, is just unbelievable at times.

Otis

Surely after driving for 10, 20, 30 years, you should be getting better and better.

I would think that after driving for 10 years or more you'd be bloody tired.

I would also be asking where exactly is it you are going to that is so far away?

ccfc92

Isn't Le Mans sexist?

maxresdefault.jpg

Ranjit Bhurpa

I agree with those who have stated there are too many drivers who are not aware of what is happening around them, which shows a degree of selfishness. For example the car that pulls out and does not then keep pace with the traffic, the stationary car at the roadside at night still with full beam on, and my current favourite, the driver in front turning right at the lights who has moved forward about a foot, then the lights change and they chug off on red at about 3 mph being the only one to get across.

ccfc92

I agree with those who have stated there are too many drivers who are not aware of what is happening around them, which shows a degree of selfishness. For example the car that pulls out and does not then keep pace with the traffic, the stationary car at the roadside at night still with full beam on, and my current favourite, the driver in front turning right at the lights who has moved forward about a foot, then the lights change and they chug off on red at about 3 mph being the only one to get across.

I do sometimes wonder whether it's worth just driving and thinking about myself, and don't give any thought for anyone else.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I don't know whether it is just my dog, or everyone's dog is the same, but quite often she assumes the position, looks like she's pooing, but then nothing comes out.

Of course all the people looking out their windows or walking past think she has pooed and therefore I have to bend down and pick up something that doesn't even exist.
They are probably looking in bewilderment as to why you are pretending to pick up dog muck

Sick Boy

I was on the m25 the other day..there was a woman going along at 40mph in the outside lane in free flowing traffic.

Another one....tossers who park in the middle of a parking space big enough for at least 2 cars.

ccfc92

I was on the m25 the other day..there was a woman going along at 40mph in the outside lane in free flowing traffic.

Another one....tossers who park in the middle of a parking space big enough for at least 2 cars.

The M25 is one scary place at times. A lot of foreign cars "playing it safe" in the middle lanes at 30-40 MPH.

Regarding parking, there's a entertainment park here, cinema, bowling, splashdown etc and it's always rammed in the car park. There was a Lithuanian reg car parked across three spaces! Also, there's regularly cars and vans parked on two spaces up there :mad:

Otis

I just had someone now.

Was driving on the ring road and came up to the Foleshill Road island. One car in front of me, 40 mile an hour speed limit.

Both driving at 40 and the lights were on green, but as we appraoched we obviously slowed a little. Well, I did anyway. The car in front slowed right down to about 5 miles an hour, even though the lights remained green and there was no sign of them changing anytime soon.

Idiotic driving. The car had all but stopped and went over the lights at 5 miles an hour, while everyone in the other lane were going 25-30. Grrrr!!!

ccfc92

I think people genuinely believe that going slow is always safe.

A person doing 30 MPH on the motorway, is just as dangerous as someone doing 50 in a 30, IMO.

clerkin61

'Should of' instead of 'should have'
cyclists that speed up as I overtake them.
Cyclists and pedestrians wearing dark colours in the dark, I nearly hit a pedestrian as I didn't see him until it was nearly too late.
There are soooo many more I could put, but moaners annoy me too!!

Gazolba

Here you go, a report on all vehicle accidents in the US 1995-2010. I suspect findings would be similar in the UK.
Below is the section that I think proves my point. Older drivers are much safer than younger drivers!
Older drivers don't become as unsafe as young drivers until they are 80+.

https://www.aaafoundation.org/sites/default/files/2012OlderDriverRisk.pdf

Population-based crash involvement rates
were highest for drivers ages 18-19 and
decreased monotonically with increasing age
thereafter. Driver-based crash rates were
highest for drivers ages 16-17 and decreased
until ages 60-69, at which point they
essentially leveled off. Mileage-based crash ra
tes were by far the highest for the youngest
drivers, decreased with increasing age until ag
es 60-69, and increased slightly thereafter,
such that drivers in their 70’s were involved
in approximately the same number of crashes
per mile driven as drivers in their 30’s, dr
ivers ages 80-84 had mileage-based crash rates
similar to drivers ages 25-59, and drivers ag
es 85 and older had mileage-based crash rates
similar to drivers ages 20-24. Rates of driver
injuries, and injuries and deaths of other
people outside of the driver’s vehicle (occupant
s of other vehicles, pedestrians, etc.) tended
to follow patterns similar to those of overall
crash involvement. Drivers ages 85 and older

had the highest rates of (their own) death per
driver and per mile driven; however, this was
largely due to their diminished ability to su
rvive a crash rather than to their increased

crash rate. In relation to the amount of driv
ing that they did, drivers aged 85 and older
posed about as much risk to other people outs
ide of their vehicle as drivers in their early
20’s did. In relation to their share of the dr

iving population, fewer other people were killed
in crashes involving drivers ages 85 and
older than drivers of any other age.

Captain Dart

Cold calls annoy me but not as much as the guy in this recorded call.

Gazolba

'Should of' instead of 'should have'
<snip>
You got that wrong. "Should of"' is never right and is not English. It's "should have". "Should of" is obviously a bastardisation of "should 'ave" which is "Should have" with a dropped "h". Same thing with "Could of", "Would of" etc. etc.

ccfc92

The reason "older" drivers statically have less accidents on the road, is because they cause people to slam on their brakes, then drive off completely oblivious to what they've done while there's a 10 car pile up behind them ;)

(This is a joke, please don't take offence)

Also, the US is similar to UK statistically? 330 million people, who let's say aren't the sharpest bunch, compared to 70 million? Doubt they'll be similar.

Plus 1995 -2010, ABS wasn't mandatory in the US until 2013, so that will effect figures.

ccfc92

You got that wrong. "Should of"' is never right and is not English. It's "should have". "Should of" is obviously a bastardisation of "should 'ave" which is "Should have" with a dropped "h". Same thing with "Could of", "Would of" etc. etc.

Isn't he saying the correct way is "should have"?

Users who are viewing this thread