The no loans strategy (1 Viewer)

Deity

Waste? I was crying out for a winger on loan

Something is better than nothing. We sat on our hands and missed out.
We had a deal for EMC agreed until Posh changed their mind. How is that sitting on your hands ?

Cally Fedora

So rare indeed. In recent years only:

Walsh
James
Ostigaard
O'Hare
Sheaf
Gyokeres
McNally
Doyle
Norton-Cuffy

Not much there really.
You make the point perfectly though. Compare the seasons where we were stacked with loans as shown above. Compare this season - arguably our best in a long time. But, more importantly, look at next season. No major rebuild.

clint van damme

You make the point perfectly though. Compare the seasons where we were stacked with loans as shown above. Compare this season - arguably our best in a long time. But, more importantly, look at next season. No major rebuild.

But no one is calling for us to be stacked with loans.
And as for next season, if we don't have a bigger squad, we'll fall short again.

clint van damme

We had 2 loans, you want 4 …. I think that’s too many, some fans don’t. That’s fine.

I don't want 4, I don't have an arbitrary figure, I want a bigger squad!
If we're not going to do it with permanents we need to do it with loans, but we have to give Robins the tools he needs.
Why anyone thinks the squad size we've been operating with is adequate is beyond me.

stupot07

If we're not going to do it with permanents we need to do it with loans, but we have to give Robins the tools he needs.
Why anyone thinks the squad size we've been operating with is adequate is beyond me.
100% plus even if you consider the squad size now, there's a chunk of players Robins doesn't trust so doesn't play so the actual squad size or trusted players is only about 16

Deity

We are totally aligned on that Clint.

To be honest I don’t mind loans, and I’d also like to see better prospects coming through the academy.

The future for our club should be buying talent snd developing our own talent and the last part takes the longest when you have been the poor relation for so long in the midlands.

Mucca Mad Boys

We had 2 loans, you want 4 …. I think that’s too many, some fans don’t. That’s fine.

Numbers are arbitrary. Looking at the team right now, there’s fatigue all over. Our starting 11 has had to play almost every minute and it’s no surprise they’re spent physically and emotionally.

We’d have probably needed 4 loanees in Jan to get us over the line (minimum) and that was never an option this Jan. If it was a choice between that and the 2 permanent signings we secured, I’d choose the latter.

Deity

Robins also has to be prepared to give youth a chance. Kai Andrews is always in the squad but never gets minutes.

They may not be ready but they never will if you don’t try them.

I remember the Club trying to sell Callum Wilson to a non league team before he broke into the first tesm through injuries. Sometimes players adapt to a higher level very quickly.

We also had the option of recalling the 2 players we had out on loan in Jan but chose not to. Either could have added to our numbers.

Hertsccfc

This is the first season since Robins came back that we will finish lower in the league than the season before. I measure success on league position not how few loan players we have.

No one is saying we need to stack the team with loans. They are saying we shouldn’t have been left with no cover for Wright and Sakamoto and loans was the easiest way to do this.

Hertsccfc

Robins also has to be prepared to give youth a chance. Kai Andrews is always in the squad but never gets minutes.

They may not be ready but they never will if you don’t try them.

I remember the Club trying to sell Callum Wilson to a non league team before he broke into the first tesm through injuries. Sometimes players adapt to a higher level very quickly.

We also had the option of recalling the 2 players we had out on loan in Jan but chose not to. Either could have added to our numbers.
I am not sure we did have the option to recall those players.

Mucca Mad Boys

This is the first season since Robins came back that we will finish lower in the league than the season before. I measure success on league position not how few loan players we have.

No one is saying we need to stack the team with loans. They are saying we shouldn’t have been left with no cover for Wright and Sakamoto and loans was the easiest way to do this.

The club has believed they had a deal to bring EMC this January with no loan back. This obviously changed at the last minute which shorted our ability to pursue other targets.

This is important because we got our main target and whilst we took a short term hit, his form has been strong and we’re in a better position for the long term. I’ll take that all day.

Even loan deals take time to agree and judging by MacAnthony’s comments, they let us know that they wouldn’t let EMC leave in Jan late in the day. Too late to secure a loan.

Yorkshire SB

I think prudent to not waste money on loans if we thought this year was a transition year (albeit we got a lot closer than I'm sure most thought). However it can't be the long-term play, to get up we will need 3 or 4 quality loans that are contributing.

I can't think of many sides (aside from those with parachute payments) that have made it up without significant contributions from loan players.

Deity

I think prudent to not waste money on loans if we thought this year was a transition year (albeit we got a lot closer than I'm sure most thought). However it can't be the long-term play, to get up we will need 3 or 4 quality loans that are contributing.

I can't think of many sides (aside from those with parachute payments) that have made it up without significant contributions from loan players.
Agreed.

for me it’s about balance … a couple of quality loans makes a lot of sense, 3-4 average ones less so.

Users who are viewing this thread