The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (11 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mrtrench

I remember this. It was about 10 years ago, although I don't know if it is still happening. The Spanish said they owned the land and moved in Spanish nationals.

chiefdave

That doesn't read like Brits being moved out to move the Spanish in. More that the homes are built illegally and are being demolished as a result.

The same can and does happen here if you do something similar.

Would the likes of the Daily Mail be quite so outraged if a load of immigrants from Poland built a housing estate on green belt here without planning permission or would they be demanding action be taken?

ccfc92

That doesn't read like Brits being moved out to move the Spanish in. More that the homes are built illegally and are being demolished as a result.

Would the likes of the Daily Mail be quite so outraged if a load of immigrants from Poland built a housing estate on green belt here without planning permission or would they be demanding action be taken?

I was quoting my friend. I literally googled it just now to find them stories as Sick Boy asked for links and to find out more myself.

If you read the articles, there was a quote saying Spanish governments were encouraging the purchases. You are correct in the fact that illegal buildings here would be demolished. However, if you'd like to provide a link to corrupt UK councils offering illegal green belt land to Polish immigrants to build housing estates?

Daily Mail, what about the Spanish news report? Surely if local Spanish news are reporting it, it's not a Daily Mail right wing agenda?

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
see the EU throwing its demands already 60BN settlement to get out the divorce, northen ireland and ireland border sorted plus eu citizens sorted aswell then EU sort trade deals wants it all done fast tho.

dutchman

see the EU throwing its demands already 60BN settlement to get out the divorce, northen ireland and ireland border sorted plus eu citizens sorted aswell then EU sort trade deals wants it all done fast tho.
Can't blame them for trying it on especially as they've only had pushovers like Tony Blair and David Cameron to deal with in the past.

Terry Gibson's perm

Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about British expats in Spain for example, when they buy/build their dream home, then it gets demolished to make way for Spanish citizens?

This is to SickBoy and Martcov, but anyone feel free to answer :)

Makes me laugh as most of these people have made their fortune here and then pissed off to spend it somewhere cheaper at least sickboy is going early to put something into the country he is going to live in.

ccfc92

Makes me laugh as most of these people have made their fortune here and then pissed off to spend it somewhere cheaper at least sickboy is going early to put something into the country he is going to live in.

If they've made their "fortune" here, they would have paid taxes here and contributed national insurance to the UK.

ccfc92

Yes because the rich never avoid tax ;)

That's an entirely different story.

I'm on about working class people, retiring to Spain or wherever. Why shouldn't they? If they've worked hard, paid into the system, enjoy life in a warmer climate. Not sure why some would want these people to fall foul of housing scams in Spain. Bizarre.

Terry Gibson's perm

If they've made their "fortune" here, they would have paid taxes here and contributed national insurance to the UK.

Ok they go then how many as soon as they get very old head back here.

When they move to places like Spain they take a risk with the land as it has happened for years and is not a new phenomenon.

I may not respond if you do nothing rude just trying to keep the big smile on my face from the weekend for as long as possible.

ccfc92

Ok they go then how many as soon as they get very old head back here.

When they move to places like Spain they take a risk with the land as it has happened for years and is not a new phenomenon.

I may not respond if you do nothing rude just trying to keep the big smile on my face from the weekend for as long as possible.

But they still would have put money into the UK economy before they went? They could have worked for 40 years paying NI and taxes.

Should anyone who emigrates lose British citizenship, or should have to apply to be let back? I'm struggling to understand your logic or what you're trying to say.

Regarding this, not sure what you're on about? Where have I been rude? :S I'm just debating with you.

Terry Gibson's perm

But they still would have put money into the UK economy before they went? They could have worked for 40 years paying NI and taxes.

Should anyone who emigrates lose British citizenship, or should have to apply to be let back? I'm struggling to understand your logic or what you're trying to say.

Regarding this, not sure what you're on about? Where have I been rude? :S I'm just debating with you.

Sorry I meant that I may not reply as I am basking in our glories not you being rude me excusing if I didn't reply its this bloody iPad autocorrect changing some of the words

Sick Boy

That's an entirely different story.

I'm on about working class people, retiring to Spain or wherever. Why shouldn't they? If they've worked hard, paid into the system, enjoy life in a warmer climate. Not sure why some would want these people to fall foul of housing scams in Spain. Bizarre.

Who has said they want them to lose their houses? I have no problem with it whatsoever and woulr actually encourage it.

It is a shame it will get harder for these working class people in the future.

I also think it's dreadful that those who emigrated over 15 years ago lose their right to vote in UK elections.

ccfc92

Who has said they want them to lose their houses? I have no problem with it whatsoever and woulr actually encourage it.

It is a shame it will get harder for some people in the future.

I also think it's dreadful that those who emigrated over 15 years ago lose their right to vote in UK elections.

"Makes me laugh as most of these people have made their fortune here and then pissed off to spend it somewhere cheaper"

Terry Gibson's perm

They could come back once proving they have the money to come back and a health check they shouldn't be allowed back as a burden to the over pressured NHS

Astute

In other words the result was far from convincing.
No. There was a very high turnout. So a 4% difference on very high turnout is a decent majority.

Some people didn't like the result. They are mainly those who live elsewhere in the EU. Or those who believed the bullshit about us losing millions of jobs and the big banks pulling out. The boss of another bank has just admitted he was wrong and will not be moving away from London.

ccfc92

No. There was a very high turnout. So a 4% difference on very high turnout is a decent majority.

Some people didn't like the result. They are mainly those who live elsewhere in the EU. Or those who believed the bullshit about us losing millions of jobs and the big banks pulling out. The boss of another bank has just admitted he was wrong and will not be moving away from London.

I may be wrong, but isn't EU trade a small % of the total worldwide trade? And the US and Japan/China said they will do trade deals with us.

I'm still not sure why the EU would restrict trade in general, surely the WORLD trading is better than just the EU trading?

Astute

We should listen to the 38% leavers, but you don't want to listen to the 48% remainers in the UK. They have to move on because it is democracy.

Good here isn't it?
That extra 600k of Scottish that voted to remain means an extra 600k on top of what you like to quote want to leave the EU in the rest of the UK.

Good here isn't it.

Last edited:

Astute

I had the misfortune to click upon an article in the Brexiteers' mouthpiece, The Mail, by the vile Katie Hopkins. She described Sadiq Kahn as the mayor of Londonistan.

That along with their piece about 'an openly gay ex Olympic fencer (shock horror) tells you all you need to know.
It does. You quote Katie Hopkins when I don't know anyone who takes her seriously. Just like the time on TV when she had a go at people who name their kids after place names. The reply was her being asked why she called her daughter India :smuggrin:

ccfc92

@martcov I just had one question, why are you so worried about Brexit, the UK etc, as you seem so settled in Germany?

Just to clarify, I respect your opinion and stance on subjects, and enjoy debating with you on the EU :)

Astute

These houses were not built by those losing their homes. They lose all the money that they used to buy the property. The vast majority of their life savings a lot of the time.

It wouldn't happen here. The job of the solicitor is to check the validity of the house. The solicitors also have to be insured in case it goes wrong. Two totally different things.

Users who are viewing this thread