The answer to our problems? (1 Viewer)

DrMoose

In view of tonights crucial game for Leicester on this day in 1981 Sky blues 4 Leicester 1. In recent years Leicester, Man City, Southampton and Norwich have all played in League 1 in front of a lot smaller crowds than they are playing in front of now. All four of them went the same way..so what's the difference between all of them and us?..if we can answer this, surely that's the answer to our problems, right?

bringbackrattles

In view of tonights crucial game for Leicester on this day in 1981 Sky blues 4 Leicester 1. In recent years Leicester, Man City, Southampton and Norwich have all played in League 1 in front of a lot smaller crowds than they are playing in front of now. All four of them went the same way..so what's the difference between all of them and us?..if we can answer this, surely that's the answer to our problems, right?
Maybe they have owners who know what they're doing ? While we do not ?

DrMoose

Along with investing enough to get you out of this league i was thinking exactly the same. I can't think of much else there may be some more minor points but that has to be the central point to it all doesn't it?

bringbackrattles

Along with investing enough to get you out of this league i was thinking exactly the same. I can't think of much else there may be some more minor points but that has to be the central point to it all doesn't it?
So unless we manage to attract wealthy owners like the teams you mentioned,we may be stuck in this horrible division for years to come ?

skyblue1991

. In recent years Leicester, Man City, Southampton and Norwich have all played in League 1 in front of a lot smaller crowds than they are playing in front of now

And yet larger crowds than what we are getting now. At least double in size.

skybluebeduff

All those teams mentioned in the OP have something in common with each other that Coventry don't. They all invested money into the playing squad, they all purchased players for fee's that we've never ourselves seen be spent at this club since 2001.

smouch1975

All those teams mentioned in the OP have something in common with each other that Coventry don't. They all invested money into the playing squad, they all purchased players for fee's that we've never ourselves seen be spent at this club since 2001.
Surely CCFC found itself in this situation by investing in the squad rather than paying bills?

Seriously. Is this not well enough documented for you?

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

oucho

So unless we manage to attract wealthy owners like the teams you mentioned,we may be stuck in this horrible division for years to come ?

We DO have wealthy owners! Joy is a billionaire!

Hobo

Success brings business and prosperity. Getting the engine turning is the key. Are you prepared for a complete engine rebuild? Or do you just want to keep changing the spark plugs?

rupert_bear

In Leicester's case their old boy old loppy lugs Linekar used his influence and contacts and helped save their precarious position and was also influential in attracting their present owners , look at the results of that. We had one or two trying the same here but were hounded mercilessly on various websites and seemed to back off and disappear.

Gazolba

It all comes down to winning the next game ...

NorthernWisdom

rupert_bear said:
In Leicester's case their old boy old loppy lugs Linekar used his influence and contacts and helped save their precarious position and was also influential in attracting their present owners , look at the results of that. We had one or two trying the same here but were hounded mercilessly on various websites and seemed to back off and disappear

Who was credible who came up with a credible proposal then?

All I've seen is the same old washed up hasbeens who've been culpable as we fall, coming up with nonentities who are interested in property, and who don't have the cash.

Oh, and the occasional eccentric with a fixation on trains.

Gint11

It's the whole structure/infrastructure. Starts from the top. When the owners and board aren't right, it filters down to the visible part - first team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jas365

I've said for ages that one of the big differences between us and Leicester is how the money has been invested.

Their owners invested £100m to get them to the top flight. They used that money to build a big (and good enough) squad to get them there, plus they bought the ground back from the bank.

For all of the £ that our owners have "invested" in the club, they haven't actually bought anything. They vast majority of the money has been used purely to cover the shortfall in cash flow. That's a huge difference. It's effectively dead money that will never be recovered.

oldfiver

Maybe they have owners who know what they're doing ? While we do not ?

October 2002
Leicester City enter Administration
May 2004

Leicester City CVA approved with football creditors paid in full, Leicester go on to obtain promotion back to Premier League in 2004, culminating in FL and FA introducing the points deduction rules after complaints from other League Clubs.

.... In recent years Leicester, Man City, Southampton and Norwich have all played in League 1 in front of a lot smaller crowds than they are playing in front of now. All four of them went the same way..so what's the difference between all of them and us?.....

Didn't SISU look at 3 out of these 4 clubs before us? I wonder where any of them would be now if ........

I know it's all "what if's" but I'm just so frustrated after the start we made and the run up to Xmas :(

Sky Blue Kid

Is she? Can you prove that?

Founder of Sisu Capital Ltd - The Head Honcho

Of interest is that she is also a protegé of Jon Huntsman of Huntsman Chemical, former Governor of Utah (yep, good Mormon Stock with 9 children) who is Running for 2012 Republican Presidential Candidacy. Talk about friends in high places, and, let's make it clear, not short of a dollar or two. Self made fortune in Chemical Industry Including UK operations and has a personal net worth of $1.6 Billion.

Is that proof enough?

oldfiver

Of interest is that she is also a protegé of Jon Huntsman of Huntsman Chemical, former Governor of Utah (yep, good Mormon Stock with 9 children) who is Running for 2012 Republican Presidential Candidacy. Talk about friends in high places, and, let's make it clear, not short of a dollar or two. Self made fortune in Chemical Industry Including UK operations and has a personal net worth of $1.6 Billion.

Is he running backwards to 2012? :thinking about:

steveo1987

Regarding Norwich City,I believe they are a plc with an elected board. They also happen to have a loyal fan base who support the club through season ticket sales in huge numbers.

Sky Blue Kid

Is he running backwards to 2012? :thinking about:

Only if the Delorean starts and reaches 88 mph ;)

Steve.B50

October 2002
Leicester City enter Administration
May 2004

Leicester City CVA approved with football creditors paid in full, Leicester go on to obtain promotion back to Premier League in 2004, culminating in FL and FA introducing the points deduction rules after complaints from other League Clubs.

everyone seems to forget this

AFCCOVENTRY

The owners of all these clubs have invested in the playing squad.

When Southampton were in L1 they spent a £1m on Ricky Lambert for example.

We are in a situation where our owners want us to be self sufficient with minimal investor input.

fernandopartridge

I've said for ages that one of the big differences between us and Leicester is how the money has been invested.

Their owners invested £100m to get them to the top flight. They used that money to build a big (and good enough) squad to get them there, plus they bought the ground back from the bank.

For all of the £ that our owners have "invested" in the club, they haven't actually bought anything. They vast majority of the money has been used purely to cover the shortfall in cash flow. That's a huge difference. It's effectively dead money that will never be recovered.

Why did they invest in Leicester and not CCFC?

oldfiver

Why did they invest in Leicester and not CCFC?

Gary Lineker is spearheading a consortium bidding to take control of cash-strapped Leicester.
The First Division club today applied to the High Court to be placed into administration.

Leicester, who were relegated from the Premiership last season, last week agreed a wage deferment package with their players in a bid to ease their financial problems.
City are the latest in a long line of clubs to feel the pinch due to the downturn in the football economy over the past year.
The club's Plc chairman Greg Clarke revealed that they had come close to reaching agreement with creditors after meetings over the weekend but late problems left administration as the best option.
He said: "Whilst this is a severe setback for the club it does not mean the end of Leicester City."
Administration will give the club the opportunity to restructure their finances and discuss a possible takeover with Lineker's consortium.

rupert_bear

I don't believe the model sisu are now running here will ever get to the Premiership unless we get lucky and have a bunch of academy kids break through together a bit like the group Manchester United had in the late 90s with Beckham and co. I live in hope that one day a sugar daddy type turns up as they have elsewhere and rescues is from the clutches of Sepalla otherwise it's the football wilderness for us for a long time to come.

Users who are viewing this thread