Stan Collymore death threats (1 Viewer)

Otis

Now I know the alleged abuse at the Preston game was out of order, but surely this is on a completely different level and is total madness.

Stan Collymore apparently tweeted that he believed Luis Suarez dived in the game against Aston Villa and has now since received several death threats and racist tweets.

Words fail me.

Former England striker Stan Collymore has accused Twitter of "not doing enough" to combat abusive posts after he was targeted by internet trolls.

The former Liverpool and Nottingham Forest star said he had been threatened with murder and racially abused on the site.

Police are investigating a series of offensive messages that were posted after Collymore suggested Liverpool striker Luis Suarez cheated by diving during last Saturday's match against Aston Villa.

Collymore retweeted some of the abuse he has received since the match to his 503,000 followers and called on Twitter to take action.

He wrote: "In the last 24 hours I've been threatened with murder several times, demeaned on my race, and many of these accounts are still active. Why?

"I accuse Twitter directly of not doing enough to combat racist/homophobic /sexist hate messages, all of which are illegal in the UK."

He added later: "Several Police forces have been fantastic. Twitter haven't. Dismayed."

Later the 42-year-old said he was in contact with Staffordshire Police about the abuse.

He tweeted: "Staffordshire Police coming, again. Just the 5th time. Pity twitter aren't interested.

"Police take all complaints seriously,whoever it is. I've waited 6 weeks for twitter to provide information to Police. Yet to respond."

West Midlands Police confirmed on its Twitter page that Staffordshire Police was investigating "alleged abusive tweets to Stan Collymore" and urged people to block and report abuse at www.report-it.org.uk.

A Twitter spokeswoman said the company was unable to comment on individual users.

However, she pointed out that targeted abuse was against its rules and the site had recently made it easier for users to report abusive messages to them.

http://news.sky.com/story/1198936/stan-collymore-accuses-twitter-over-abuse

SkyBlueHomer

Unfortunately this is the world we now live in. Not just Collymore incident but abuse people get on a daily basis. Twitter is full of idiots, don't bother with it or Facebook.

Until these people are dealt with properly they feel they can sit behind a keyboard and say whatever they want.
Thing is, he did dive anyway and fool can see that

Otis

I need to use Twitter and Facebook to be honest. If I didn't need to I really wouldn't bother with either, but such as my daughter's drama groups choose to relay information through these mediums and I have to go on to access the info.

Otis

I find all this death threat stuff pathetic has everybody gone soft just blank the sad twats.

But as his saying on the radio right now, if someone came up to him in the street and threatened to kill him or called him a n***er, then they would be arrested.

Why should social media be any different?

SkyBlueHomer

Understand people want/need to use it, meant I don't use it.

I fail to see what the problem is for these sites. They earn £m's and have moderators, accepted you can't be on top of everything but complaints are looked into and if any abuse of any nature people's IP address or home address is passed onto authorities.

If I came on here and hurled abuse at you I would expect a pm from a moderator and if it continued they would involve the police.

Otis

Understand people want/need to use it, meant I don't use it.

I fail to see what the problem is for these sites. They earn £m's and have moderators, accepted you can't be on top of everything but complaints are looked into and if any abuse of any nature people's IP address or home address is passed onto authorities.

If I came on here and hurled abuse at you I would expect a pm from a moderator and if it continued they would involve the police.

Collymore though is saying the police have been great and have been out to see him 6 times. Meanwhile, Twitter have done nothing.

wingy

Who was that woman In the media a week or two back .

Had organised or suggested some laudable action for a noble cause and was threatened being killed or raped etc,may have been something to do with Rape .

One abuser got done in court and was a multiple account sad lowlife billy no mates ,another however was a female journalist or political activist and threatened the same ,Unbelievable . The woman was totally traumatised and affraid to go out ,all an excercise In silencing opinion

ajsccfc

'Ignore them until they go away' doesn't really work on Twitter, as it seems to attract a special class of idiot who will just hurl abuse at any passing target under the mistaken believe that anonymity is some kind of carte blanche to be a twat. The more they're pulled up on it the better really.

Nick

Administrator
The police have been out 6 times? That is more than you get if you are burgled.

He should do what that boxer fella did and turn up on their doorstep.

lewys33

I agree that this sort of thing is wrong, but with twitter what do you expect? Joey Barton made a good point (he does make a couple every now and then) that its only offensive if you accept it. If you dont accept it, how can it be offensive?

Realistically the people that do this sort of thing are idiots (to put it nicely). They have less intelligence than the sperm they once were!

Joy Division

I agree that this sort of thing is wrong, but with twitter what do you expect? Joey Barton made a good point (he does make a couple every now and then) that its only offensive if you accept it. If you dont accept it, how can it be offensive?

Realistically the people that do this sort of thing are idiots (to put it nicely). They have less intelligence than the sperm they once were!

Easy to say just ignore it and to not accept the abuse. But I imagine you are not on the receiving end of constant racist messages and occasional death threats, for him it must be hard to not ignore these comments and will certainly get you you after a while.

Think Collymore made a point that a lot of the racist abuse was coming from 11-16 year olds, which he remarked that these people need protection from themselves.

ajsccfc

Collymore is inundated with racist abuse every day, it must stop being funny pretty quickly. Of course they're a bunch of idiots just doing it for attention, but the more they get hauled up for it, the less it happens.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Death threats are death threats. Arrest & charge those that made them. Maybe then some of these twitter twats may finally realise that what they say/type has consequences.

Maybe if the teenage victim of Joeys unprovoked drunken attack decided "not to accept it"....perhaps it didn't really happen.

In my opinion, Joey Barton is a thick vile thuggish scummy c**t.....and I don't care if he accepts that or not!

thaiskyblue

i was married to a black woman for over 10 years, i remember 1 day there was a knock at the door, i opened it 2 blokes in suits were there, They said "hello were canvasing for the BNP", i said "great come in and have a chat", my wife was sitting in the chair , she said "hello", these two numptys froze, and quickly dived back out the house , i was pissing myself laughing so did the mrs once i told who they were, so yes you can laugh at these clowns

ajsccfc

Yes, but imagine that happened every five minutes of every day. You'd very quickly want them to just fuck off.

Macca

I bet Ukrika is pissing herself. What goes around comes around. Though I utterly condemn the behavior

Users who are viewing this thread