Sky Blues snap up striker (1 Viewer)

RichieGunns

Coventry City have signed Danny Philliskirk after successful trial...

Coventry City have signed Danny Philliskirk on a contract until the end of the playing season.

The 21-year-old forward is a free agent and had been on trial with the Sky Blues for a short period in January.

City manager Mark Robins said: “Danny has been with Sheffield United for a couple of years and, prior to that had been acquired by Chelsea.

“This fits into our policy of trying to develop younger players who can step through to the first team. We will assess the situation at the end of the season, while giving Danny the opportunity to earn himself a longer term contract.”

Philliskirk began his career with Oldham Athletic before being snapped up by Chelsea as a teenager and went on to skipper the club’s youth team.

He spent spells on loan with Oxford United and Sheffield United before joining the Blades permanently in 2011.

sky_blue_up_north

Makes you wonder what went wrong at Sheffield, if he was that good surely he would have been in their team. Perhaps he did not suit Wilson's style of play, but seems strange.

shropshirecov

Of all those we've been linked with, he'd be bottom of the list. Although if he puts away a few of the countless half chances we keep creating we'll be cheering his name..... until he has a bad game

Lambo58

Robins was a striker and I'm sure I remember him saying that he liked how the way he moved into pockets of space, maybe that's what he thinks suits our system. In Robins we trust

ajsccfc

Franck Moussa was also available on a free and that's worked out alright so far. Let's at least allow him three seconds of football before putting the downers on.

Diehard Si

I think judging him because Sheff utd rejected him without even seeing him play is idiotic.

He's one for the future. He won't be a miracle worker or one to wow the crowds but a youngster to learn his trade and make the odd appearance off the bench.

CovMatt1987

until the end of the season is the biggest question for me.

If we really rated him surely we would be looking at a longer term deal? My point is - dont think he is expected to come in and be a goal scoring machine, but perhaps he has certain other strengths we may be missing and could have an impact in other areas.

good luck to the lad, hope he can have an impact.

ccfc92

Great news, especially the short term contract. It seems we are making players prove themselves which is good

ajsccfc

The theory is that he earns a longer deal based on what he does, in the same way Moussa did. Seems a sensible way to go about it.

Diehard Si

until the end of the season is the biggest question for me.

If we really rated him surely we would be looking at a longer term deal? My point is - dont think he is expected to come in and be a goal scoring machine, but perhaps he has certain other strengths we may be missing and could have an impact in other areas.

good luck to the lad, hope he can have an impact.

Robins was quoted as saying before he has a footballing brain.

Otis

He's barely played yet. Who needs enemies.

Nope. Entirely fair and rational to criticise the bloke before he has even pulled on a Sky Blue shirt.

He's obviously not good enough and Robins is a muppet for bringing him to the club. :facepalm:

stupot07

He's not really the type of signing you would go for to help with a play off push.

I also feel underwhelmed.

ajsccfc

He's apparently started a full two matches so far in his fledgling football career. I think it's right to write him off completely, no player has ever improved after all.

Otis

Maybe we start up a petition asking MR to change his mind and get rid of him!

We supporters who sit in our armchairs and haven't even seen him play know so much more than the bloke who is manager of our club and has been watching him closely during his trial.

Booo, get rid ... he's crap ... etc. etc. etc.

ajsccfc

I'll personally only be happy if we sign players with proven and successful track records. They're the kind that sign for third division clubs.

Chipfat

A low risk, high reward signing if it works out, i would prefer to do this than sign him to 3 years and soon find out he is the english O donavan. He plays wide and if Robins has seen a young player with a little bit of pace and a brain ill take that.

Wish him luck and hope CCFC is where he finds his feet as a pro footballer...

CovMatt1987

I just get nervous when we do a short term deal, thats all.

my concern is because - if we do a short term deal and he does well - we lose him to a higher club. So im all for him proving himself but if he does and does really well, we get nothing for it.

not having a go at him though - couldnt tell you anything about the guy to criticize so I remain hopeful. And I trust Robins judgement.

ps1948

I'm just fed-up that we didn't try to outbid Barcelona and get Messi to come to Cov instead of re-signing for them! After all, we've got loads of money, we can offer a couple of chances of Wembley appearances, and a one-third full stadium most weeks!

SkyblueBazza

We have a policy in place to find good potential & develop it as stated by MR (“This fits into our policy of trying to develop younger players who can step through to the first team. We will assess the situation at the end of the season, while giving Danny the opportunity to earn himself a longer term contract.”). It matters not what we might or might not have seen in him when he's played for Sheff Utd/Oxford/Oldham or whoever...what matters is what we develop him into. Give the guy a chance - once we have worked some magic on him he might become a world-beater!
Keep the faith! PUSB...in Robins we trust!!!

WillieStanley

I just get nervous when we do a short term deal, thats all.

my concern is because - if we do a short term deal and he does well - we lose him to a higher club. So im all for him proving himself but if he does and does really well, we get nothing for it.

not having a go at him though - couldnt tell you anything about the guy to criticize so I remain hopeful. And I trust Robins judgement.

By offering him a contract, it gives us the opportunity to extend it before the window opens, a la Moussa. If he doesn't do well, it means we're not stuck with him, a la Cody, Eastwood, Bell, Kyle, Andrews et al.

skyblue4ever

I heard that we''d signed this so i came on here but i knew i would see negative comments. Has anyone actually seen him play?

Users who are viewing this thread