Sky Blue Trust statement (1 Viewer)

CJ_covblaze

The Sky Blue Trust welcomes the announcement of the Appeal Court verdict regarding the Judicial Review into Coventry City Council providing financial support for Arena Coventry Limited (ACL).

The ruling of 3 senior Justices – Tomlinson, Treacey and Floyd - upheld the decision made by Justice Hickinbottom in 2014 and praised that original “impressive judgment”. It also states that: “The appellants [Sisu] have not in my view come close to demonstrating that the judge reached an impermissible conclusion.”

That one might think would be an end of the matter. However, Sisu’s legal team have indicated a strong possibility that the fight may continue, with solicitor Alex Carter-Silk saying that: “There are significant public policy reasons why this matter should be reviewed by the Supreme Court. A reference of certain aspects of the matter to the European Commission is also under consideration.” In the background there is also the spectre of Judicial Review 2 which concerns the sale of ACL to Wasps Rugby Club.

Clearly, like any losing party in a court action, Sisu are inevitably disappointed with this outcome. However, the overwhelming reaction of Coventry City supporters, whatever their views may have been on the rights and wrongs of this case, is that “Enough is Enough”. Social media reaction has been virtually unanimous on that point.

Therefore, the Sky Blue Trust urges Sisu to heed the views and advice from Sky Blues fans. This matter has dragged on for much too long and is a distraction, if not a direct financial drain, on the Club. We therefore respectfully suggest that Sisu put this matter behind them and ask them to work constructively with their partners in the City of Coventry including the City Council, ACL, Wasps and others with a view to achieving future success, on and off the field, for the club we all love.

CJ_covblaze

We have been trying to upload this onto our site since yesterday but there seems to be an issue with posting new articles.

Nick

Administrator
Haven't statements been broken since the last bit of politics? Haven't heard anything for a while about the football?

Nick

Administrator
Aha. The Sisu deflection team logs on !!!!

Anyway back on topic.

I'm not deflecting anything, I've said it's pointless on the other thread...

I've also said if they take wasps to court they will lose and just end up paying more court fees.

Nick

Administrator
What do you think Sisu should do now then ?
Get better lawyers, ideally no win no fee.

What will happen is, we find out stuff about wasps deal, find out that dodgy stuff went on, council lied to the public about a few things but no laws actually broken.

Sisu lose and pay all fees.

People take the final ruling that no actual law was broken that the council only wanted to help the club, even though it's revealed not too good things about the council, morally wrong, and some lies etc.

Nopm then rears its head again while lots of its supporters get excited about wasps.

The only thing that us fans will gain is knowing even more ways the club has been shagged up the arse.

Whilst it's great we know all the details about morals, how people have lied, how things have been shady, no laws actually broken so probably a pointless exercise. Unless it is some strange way of doing pr to reveal truths and documents.

Senior Vick from Alicante

Sick of statements and sick of Sisu. Not having a pop at the trust either, but we don't count at the end of the day do we. Our owners have their own agenda and have their own interest at heart, the club is not a club to them its a business asset and is and always will be run that way. We are in a state of limbo until Sisu leave, that's a prospect in the distance as we will have to go through JD2 first so we are wear we are for at least another 3 to 4 years. And at the end of it they will either walk away or sell the club for a nominal fee whilst leaving all the debt from court actions on the shoulders of the club and any new owners. I have said many times before the only way football clubs can move forward is if they have some kind of protection afforded to them by proper legal legislation that protects them as community assets, they cannot be the play things of pop up millionaires with fleeting access to temporary funds, whether their own or gotten through dubious means. Since the Premier League was formed over 50 clubs have been made insolvent in the English professional leagues through miss management, it has to stop. Its no wonder the majority of us have fallen out of love with the game, our clubs mean nothing to the egos of these people or the company's that want either instant fame or a quick profit. Sick to the back teeth. PUSB!

Nick

Administrator
Would there have been a statement if the council lost? There is nothing on the website from last year when SISU got the right to appeal? There was the one about the mess up with season tickets though.

Radio silence about that, and the positive move to make tickets printable at home etc, as well as the award for the family zone, as well as anything else half decent.

I think the first line of the statement sums up what would have happened if the council had lost...

Just a PR mouthpiece, the same as the telegraph and observer.

Steve.B50

Would there have been a statement if the council lost? There is nothing on the website from last year when SISU got the right to appeal? There was the one about the mess up with season tickets though.

Radio silence about that, and the positive move to make tickets printable at home etc, as well as the award for the family zone, as well as anything else half decent.

I think the first line of the statement sums up what would have happened if the council had lost...

Just a PR mouthpiece, the same as the telegraph and observer.

Nick
We were asked for a statement and made one, what ever we say it never makes you happy, you wonder why most of just look at the forum rather than log on and make a comment.
If you read the SCG minutes you will see we are very proactive on both sides, I may not 100% agree with how the SCG is set up but it is a way for us to get our points over.

Steve.B50

I think the first line of the statement sums up what would have happened if the council had lost... That's your view, personally I would have insisted on a statement being made.

Just a PR mouthpiece, the same as the telegraph and observer. And this forum !!!!!

Nick

Administrator
Nick
We were asked for a statement and made one, what ever we say it never makes you happy, you wonder why most of just look at the forum rather than log on and make a comment.
If you read the SCG minutes you will see we are very proactive on both sides, I may not 100% agree with how the SCG is set up but it is a way for us to get our points over.
Were you not asked about what you thought when they were granted the right to appeal then? Or about the new ticketing system, or the family award etc?

Why don't people logon and post, because of difference of opinion, on a forum?

Nick

Administrator
I think the first line of the statement sums up what would have happened if the council had lost... That's your view, personally I would have insisted on a statement being made.

Just a PR mouthpiece, the same as the telegraph and observer. And this forum !!!!!

This forum is made up of individuals, there are no group statements. Anybody can put their opinion across, that's how they work.

A forum doesn't work with councils pr companies telling them how to target the club's owner for example, the same as it doesn't work with clubs pr companies telling them how to get at the council leader.

It's just a place for discussion.

Steve.B50

Nick
I was invited to discuss the ticket situation, it makes no difference to me as we will buy our STs regardless of costs.

Nick

Administrator
Nick
I was invited to discuss the ticket situation, it makes no difference to me as we will buy our STs regardless of costs.
I've never doubted anybody from the trust's loyalty as a fan or ever tried to say they aren't fans or any of that.

My point is just the fact that the trust as a group is only out there when there is something to be said about sisu and nowhere to be seen when it's anything half positive about the club. ( not the owners)

Things like the Jimmy hill legacy fund etc?

shy_tall_knight

I was on the marches and I thought the SBT did well and was on the hill once (work in northants evening saw Baker score slipped over and then it got dark and started to rain).

I think SBT is still anti_SISU above anything else and whilst we all can't wait for them to go, the SBT need to do more to challenge the inequities of our position, transport is a minor issue IMO, if we get to the play-offs next season 20,000 fans will get there.

skybluetony176

Can't see the problem with the statement. It was pretty unified on here yesterday regardless of viewpoint that it really is time to knock it on the head, the claims really have no merit in law, there's no gain for the club etc.

Nick

Administrator
I was on the marches and I thought the SBT did well and was on the hill once (work in northants evening saw Baker score slipped over and then it got dark and started to rain).

I think SBT is still anti_SISU above anything else and whilst we all can't wait for them to go, the SBT need to do more to challenge the inequities of our position, transport is a minor issue IMO, if we get to the play-offs next season 20,000 fans will get there.
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the owners shouldnt be held to account, if they are doing that then as a group ask what the council are doing.

Then there's so much away from the politics, like the football based stuff, fan and community based stuff

Ian1779

Can't see the problem with the statement. It was pretty unified on here yesterday regardless of viewpoint that it really is time to knock it on the head, the claims really have no merit in law, there's no gain for the club etc.

I mostly agree with this but thought the statement should have been far shorter.

We saw the result..
We urge the owners to end the pursuit of this legal matter...
Work with local partners to create a long term
plan for CCFC.

No need to give their opinions on the matter - supposed to be impartial.

stupot07

I mostly agree with this but thought the statement should have been far shorter.

We saw the result..
We urge the owners to end the pursuit of this legal matter...
Work with local partners to create a long term
plan for CCFC.

No need to give their opinions on the matter - supposed to be impartial.
I agree. The "we welcome the verdict", implies the SBT wanted CCC to win it, and all the thing about " impressive verdict", etc is just 2 fingers up at our owners. Should have been more neutral but I agree with the last paragraph about the fans wanting this to stop and try to move forward.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

armybike

This forum is made up of individuals, there are no group statements. Anybody can put their opinion across, that's how they work.

A forum doesn't work with councils pr companies telling them how to target the club's owner for example, the same as it doesn't work with clubs pr companies telling them how to get at the council leader.

It's just a place for discussion.

Oh come off it - if you don't follow the "council are evil" mantra then you get jumped on at SBT.

Oh Thursday it was all about 'justice' and now, following clarification that the council weren't at fault, it's apparently about morals.

What the council have said on record is used to bash them, what Sisu - especially Fisher - have said is seemingly just excused as just Tim being Tim.

SISU are the club owners and they need to take stock of the situation and move forward - the how, whys and wherefores won't change the current position.

Do I wish CCFC owned the Ricoh - yes. Will going around in circles around what could/should have been make that happen? No.

If they're going to build a stadium, crack on with it. If they're going to move to The Butts - make the necessary in roads with Cov Rugby about making it happen (no, the council can't prevent it being progress as long as it's within planning law/regulations), if they're going to stay mid/long term at the Ricoh then get round the table with Wasps.

italiahorse

I agree. The "we welcome the verdict", implies the SBT wanted CCC to win it, and all the thing about " impressive verdict", etc is just 2 fingers up at our owners. Should have been more neutral but I agree with the last paragraph about the fans wanting this to stop and try to move forward.

So you wanted Sisu to win it ?

Nick

Administrator
Oh come off it - if you don't follow the "council are evil" mantra then you get jumped on at SBT.

Oh Thursday it was all about 'justice' and now, following clarification that the council weren't at fault, it's apparently about morals.

What the council have said on record is used to bash them, what Sisu - especially Fisher - have said is seemingly just excused as just Tim being Tim.

SISU are the club owners and they need to take stock of the situation and move forward - the how, whys and wherefores won't change the current position.

Do I wish CCFC owned the Ricoh - yes. Will going around in circles around what could/should have been make that happen? No.

If they're going to build a stadium, crack on with it. If they're going to move to The Butts - make the necessary in roads with Cov Rugby about making it happen (no, the council can't prevent it being progress as long as it's within planning law/regulations), if they're going to stay mid/long term at the Ricoh then get round the table with Wasps.
So what you mean is you don't like being disagreed with? Strange though, not many complaints from you or Steve when people got hammered for going to sixfields? Must be that it's fine as long as it agreeing with you.

People disagree all the time, it's part of a forum.

It was about justice, the law wasn't broken and it was correct that sisu paid court fees.

I wasn't shouting about wanting anybody to win, I said I wanted justice for what they were there for.

The court case wasn't about morals was it? Just because something isn't breaking the law, it doesn't mean they are being morally right does it?

J

Jack Griffin

Its largely procrastination with SISU, the only area where they are proactive is in the courts. How does that help with the Football?

skybluetony176

I see where you're coming from with the bit about welcoming the verdict. However the fact that our owners seem intent on continuing with this madness means it's absolutely right to quote the summing up and pointing out that the original judgment was quoted as an "impressive verdict". They clearly need telling until the point it sinks in. The way I see it we're letting our club down if we encourage them to continue with silence. I'd like to see it mentioned in the next SCG and there being unity from the fan representation on the SCG on this matter. I wouldn't go as far as demonstrating at games next season but something like a petition to sign on your way in asking the owners to forget it and concentrate on the club might not be a bad idea to hand in at an SCG once the season starts.

Nick

Administrator
I see where you're coming from with the bit about welcoming the verdict. However the fact that our owners seem intent on continuing with this madness means it's absolutely right to quote the summing up and pointing out that the original judgment was quoted as an "impressive verdict". They clearly need telling until the point it sinks in. The way I see it we're letting our club down if we encourage them to continue with silence. I'd like to see it mentioned in the next SCG and there being unity from the fan representation on the SCG on this matter. I wouldn't go as far as demonstrating at games next season but something like a petition to sign on your way in asking the owners to forget it and concentrate on the club might not be a bad idea to hand in at an SCG once the season starts.
But the thing is, you can't make statements like welcoming the verdict then wonder why the club don't work with them.

Keep it a neutral statement, you can say things in different ways.

Like "we hope the court battles stop" without all of the digs as well.

All well and good having the digs and snipes, just can't really moan when people point out it's all about being anti sisu or that the club don't work with them.

Then there is the complete silence about the appeal going ahead, just put out neutral statements as the trust, then by all means hate them as individuals.

skybluetony176

But the thing is, you can't make statements like welcoming the verdict then wonder why the club don't work with them.

Keep it a neutral statement, you can say things in different ways.

Like "we hope the court battles stop" without all of the digs as well.

All well and good having the digs and snipes, just can't really moan when people point out it's all about being anti sisu or that the club don't work with them.

Then there is the complete silence about the appeal going ahead, just put out neutral statements as the trust, then by all means hate them as individuals.

Did you welcome the verdict?

Nick

Administrator
Did you welcome the verdict?
I think welcome is the wrong word isn't it? That is effectively saying they are pleased they won.

Which as individuals they can crack open the bubbly, but don't say it as the trust

Did they welcome the go ahead of the appeal?

italiahorse

Does anyone on this board think that SISU should appeal ..... again ?
Does anyone on this board really want SISU to go onto JR2 ?

....... because if you do are football cub will continue to be cannon fodder in League 1.

I want this to stop and SISU to tell us honestly about a new stadium plan and if it does not exist then negotiate with Wasps to make the Ricoh look and feel our home.

skybluetony176

I think welcome is the wrong word isn't it? That is effectively saying they are pleased they won.

Which as individuals they can crack open the bubbly, but don't say it as the trust

Did they welcome the go ahead of the appeal?

Not really. I think the common meaning of the phrase "I/we welcome the verdict" is that it was the correct verdict. I don't think that's in dispute is it?

I'm not saying that the words wasn't chosen carefully but it's certainly not saying lets crack open the bubbly and all hail the all conquering council. You're putting that spin on it all by yourself.

stupot07

Does anyone on this board think that SISU should appeal ..... again ? No, they need to let it gom
Does anyone on this board really want SISU to go onto JR2 ? ----Yes, because we have been shat on from a great height and lied to, as have the Coventry tax payers. Ideally the SBT should be backing this option, it wasn't that long ago they were talking about applying to make the Ricoh a community asset so it couldnt be sold on.....

....... because if you do are football cub will continue to be cannon fodder in League 1. ---- we weren't cannon fodder in league one this season were we? The JR makes no difference to where we finish. The financial model works in league one.

I want this to stop and SISU to tell us honestly about a new stadium plan and if it does not exist then negotiate with Wasps to make the Ricoh look and feel our home. ----- I agree with this, we need to know the plan. I still can't see wasps doing us many favours, they need every penny they get to pay off the interest, pay back the binds, fund their squad - they've just signed someone who will be the highest paid player in england, and I can't see the wage cap remaining in another 4-5 years time.

Nick

Administrator
Not really. I think the common meaning of the phrase "I/we welcome the verdict" is that it was the correct verdict. I don't think that's in dispute is it?

I'm not saying that the words wasn't chosen carefully but it's certainly not saying lets crack open the bubbly and all hail the all conquering council. You're putting that spin on it all by yourself.
So by correct verdict you been the one you wanted, ie as it's said by victims families when people get sent down etc.

Users who are viewing this thread