Sin Bins could be introduced for yellow cards (1 Viewer)

Covstu

I think it would depend on how long the player would be off the field. I think it would cut out unnecessary yellows i.e. mouthing off etc but I would be concerned it would take any tackles out of the game. I think as Rugby is already a physical game their yellows are for consistent high challenges, stamping etc so would a yellow now have to be more severe as the penalty for receiving one is (an orange card!)?

Otis

I think it would depend on how long the player would be off the field. I think it would cut out unnecessary yellows i.e. mouthing off etc but I would be concerned it would take any tackles out of the game. I think as Rugby is already a physical game their yellows are for consistent high challenges, stamping etc so would a yellow now have to be more severe as the penalty for receiving one is (an orange card!)?
I am not convinced it would help at all.

I think there will be even more blatant trips and pull backs of the shirt when a player breaks free. Certainly worth doing that for 10 mins in the sin bin. Think refs would go for caution and the sin bin option rather than a red card.

Think the only way it might work if were to be you get a yellow card AND a trip to the sin bin for the cynical stuff. That would cut some of it all out. That and making it maybe just 4 yellows to receive a ban rather than 5.

I see they are also talking about maybe increasing the amount of subs.

Before long it will be 22 players, 11 on the field and 11 on the bench and 6 subs allowed.

That will slow the game down more. Always about 30 secs to a minute for every substitution made.

Covstu

I agree it wouldn't be a positive change particularly if you look at the volume of yellow cards in a typical game (maybe 5 ish?) that would be a big disruption and I just think that no team would want to take the 'hit' and pull out of tackles etc. I haven't got a clue how frequent yellows are flashed in Rugby but only noticed sin bins for no more than 2 people.

Totally agree on subs, more time to run the clock down..

Liquid Gold

Could work well if it was an addition to the yellow card. Could stop players committing 'professional fouls' (a term I hate) by bringing someone down who is getting through with 10 minutes left

Gazolba

There is a proposal to introduce sin bins for yellow card offences, much like in Rugby

Sin-bin plan to be looked at by football's lawmaking body Ifab

Is that a positive way forward and would players still accumulate cards to equal bans?

It makes perfect sense to me for the punishment to be served in the game where the offence occurred.
The problem is what to do about offences committed near the end of a game where that punishment is unsuitable.

Gazolba

<snip>

I see they are also talking about maybe increasing the amount of subs.

Before long it will be 22 players, 11 on the field and 11 on the bench and 6 subs allowed.

That will slow the game down more. Always about 30 secs to a minute for every substitution made.

Imagine the time-wasting when a team makes 11 subs in the last 5 minutes!
I'd like to see no subs allowed in the final 10 minutes (with possibly an exception for serious injury).
I'd also like to see subs that go off be able to come back on. I've never understood why this wasn't allowed. It would help in the case of a player needing some treatment but not bad enough to miss the entire game.

Users who are viewing this thread