Simon Gilbert's Book (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

I read it in about 2 hours yesterday. 5/10

I was hoping for some insight into why things happened, I didn't get it. The book starts out reasonably well but steadily goes downhill, the last few chapters are pointless fill. Timings of events are not described at all which then doesn't help map cause and effect.

Looks as if the depth of the research was picking up quotes from the Telegraph back catalogue of stories. Very little analysis of why the Arena was seen as the only option post 2001. No analysis of CCFC debt and why the arbitrary takeover deadline was set in 2007.

The book does make some crude attempts at balancing the blame at times but as I've said, lacks any real scrutiny of why CCFC / the Council made decisions they did. Why the council had veto over the club's new owners is not explained.

The second half of the book brings out the narcissist in Gilbert. There chapter about the return to the Ricoh is named after the Telegraph's hashtag campaign!

Talking of narcissists; PWKH is given a lot of airtime. There are no views put forward by just about any of the other major players post 2007 apart from him.

The club's current and previous boards don't come out of it with any credit, neither do the council. To a certain extent PWKH and the AEHT don't either especially with the way they dealt with Wasps.

Overall, the timeline of events published on this forum a few years ago provides more specific detail in a succinct matter.

I think the book is a bit of an opportunity lost for Simon, then again in fairness to him, the litigation happy council would have been all over him if he had dared to question their decision making, tellingly the criticism of the council is made through quotes by others.

ajsccfc

I started it after Christmas but after a chapter or two little has compelled me to carry on. The writing was all a bit too matter-of-fact, as if reading from a compilation of Wikipedia posts.

chiefdave

I think the book is a bit of an opportunity lost for Simon, then again in fairness to him, the litigation happy council would have been all over him if he had dared to question their decision making, tellingly the criticism of the council is made through quotes by others.
There's certainly a story to be told but its not going to be found in the CT archives. To be honest I've not bothered with the book after a couple of quotes were used on here as evidence in arguments and shown to be wildly factually incorrect.

Hobo

Couldn't be parsed with it. Always seemed it was going to be a have baked affair.

Fergusons_Beard

Any chance someone could post a link to the timeline Fernando mentions in his post please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian1779

I read it in about 2 hours yesterday. 5/10

I was hoping for some insight into why things happened, I didn't get it. The book starts out reasonably well but steadily goes downhill, the last few chapters are pointless fill. Timings of events are not described at all which then doesn't help map cause and effect.

Looks as if the depth of the research was picking up quotes from the Telegraph back catalogue of stories. Very little analysis of why the Arena was seen as the only option post 2001. No analysis of CCFC debt and why the arbitrary takeover deadline was set in 2007.

The book does make some crude attempts at balancing the blame at times but as I've said, lacks any real scrutiny of why CCFC / the Council made decisions they did. Why the council had veto over the club's new owners is not explained.

The second half of the book brings out the narcissist in Gilbert. There chapter about the return to the Ricoh is named after the Telegraph's hashtag campaign!

Talking of narcissists; PWKH is given a lot of airtime. There are no views put forward by just about any of the other major players post 2007 apart from him.

The club's current and previous boards don't come out of it with any credit, neither do the council. To a certain extent PWKH and the AEHT don't either especially with the way they dealt with Wasps.

Overall, the timeline of events published on this forum a few years ago provides more specific detail in a succinct matter.

Did he mention his pals at the CET deliberately suppressed information about the councils plans on their say so?

no_loyalty

burn_after_reading_ver4.jpg

Shake_and_McPake

Facebook User
What do you expect from somebody who is a glorified idiot. You have to meet the bloke for five seconds to see he's fake as anything. And his Twitter is even worse, what a clueless fella.

MAFF

BREAKING NEWS: Gilbert's just named his son Maverick Clive Roderick Gilbert. Poor lad.

Nick

Administrator
Think Roderick will be after his father in law.

Fair play though, takes some doing to name a kid Maverick! That's not even sarcasm, how he managed to get his wife to agree to that!

Terry Gibson's perm

Hope he doesn't have his fathers lego hair.

Front page headline tomorrow baby born

Users who are viewing this thread