Should Roy Hodgson Stay On As England Manager? (1 Viewer)

Should Roy Hodgson Remain England Manager Until Euro 2016?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After what can only be described as a disappointing World Cup campaign, inevitably, the speculation over Roy Hodgson's future has begun. Its a sad fact of modern Football that the 1st man to receive the blame is the manager, not the players. Roy has received backing from FA Chairman Greg Dyke and still has 2 years left on his current contract, which would take him up to the 2016 European Championship in France. But given the amount of money he is on and the training facilities at St George's Park to prepare for the World's biggest party, could Roy have done more? We'd like to know if you think Roy should stay on until Euro 2016, leave his position after the World Cup or be given a little more time. Please leave a comment and let us know your reasons for choosing whichever option you picked. Entries and comments must be in by 11.30AM Thursday 25th June to be counted for the show. After a 2 week break, Sports Lounge returns to Hillz FM (98.6) this Thursday so tune in at 10AM-12 Noon if you can. You can also get involved in any matters brought up on the show or just to get a shout-out on Twitter (@Hillz_SL) or you can phone the studio whilst we're on air (number will be read out during the show). Thanks again for your brilliant support

Otis

I would say no, but we do need someone to replace him and it has to be the right person.

So very easy to say just get rid, but who would we bring in? Seems we want a British manager these days.

Do think we need a fresh new manager to go with a fresh new team. England's only hope are the new generation. I know there isn't that many to choose from anyway, but we need to make the best of what we've got.

I quite like Hodgson and see him as a steady manager but he made some serious mistakes in this tournament and the buck stops with the manager at the end of the day.

Think the poll needs to be 'who would we replace Hodgson with' rather than 'should he stay on.'

We can make that a pole for the next show. I'll pencil it in for the 10th July episode as that will be the next show after this one

Otis

Sorry, my mistake.

I forgot, the poll should read 'Should Roy Hodgson stay on as England manager and why we all need to buy 10 season tickets each for Sixfields this season.'

Terry Gibson's perm

He has to stop on as there is nobody else as I can't cope with it being Arry or worse Southgate.

Otis

He has to stop on as there is nobody else as I can't cope with it being Arry or worse Southgate.

It's a very fair point. If the policy is 'British' manager the only one I can see out there who might do a really good job is Brendan Rodgers.

After that it is a case pretty much of barrel scraping.

Covstu

It makes no sense at this stage albeit if we get stuffed tonight i might say differently!! There is no obvious choice to take over, maybe Hoddle at a push. In the end we have the makings of a decent side in a few years time but we need to look and focus on that, we all knew we were not ready for this world cup. It would have been nice to be more adventurous but i didnt think we were piss poor in either game.

Otis

That's where we disagree slightly Stu.

I thought against Italy we played well (defence apart) and looked threatening. Really believe we should have got something from that game.

Against Uruguay however I feel our passing went all to pot and we were sluggish and disjointed and the performance error-riddled. I don't think we played at all well against what on the night was a very averge Uruguayan side.

For me it was two very different England performances. I don't think we were awful against Uruguay but I thought the performance was quite a bit below average, whereas against Italy we were quite impressive at times, especially going forward.

stupot07

That's where we disagree slightly Stu.

I thought against Italy we played well (defence apart) and looked threatening. Really believe we should have got something from that game.

Against Uruguay however I feel our passing went all to pot and we were sluggish and disjointed and the performance error-riddled. I don't think we played at all well against what on the night was a very averge Uruguayan side.

For me it was two very different England performances. I don't think we were awful against Uruguay but I thought the performance was quite a bit below average, whereas against Italy we were quite impressive at times, especially going forward.

I think to an extent though that both us and Italy had everything geared up for this 'big' first game leading into the game, that it took a lot of both teams mentally which caused a bit of a lull, which was reflected in both teams second performances. One of the reporters in 5Live had said the day before the Uraguay game that the mood of the camp felt different, more workmanlike than the buzz before the Italy game. I think that's where both sides played two very different games.

We could have won either game, but we didn't. And for all our attacking promise we scored just 2 goals conceded 4. Our defence and midfield have been poor for both games, and Roy must take some of the blame for that for trying to shoehorned Rooney, sturridge, sterling and Wellbeck into the starting line up.

I would stick with him though as there is no one else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

I think to an extent though that both us and Italy had everything geared up for this 'big' first game leading into the game, that it took a lot of both teams mentally which caused a bit of a lull, which was reflected in both teams second performances. One of the reporters in 5Live had said the day before the Uraguay game that the mood of the camp felt different, more workmanlike than the buzz before the Italy game. I think that's where both sides played two very different games.

We could have won either game, but we didn't. And for all our attacking promise we scored just 2 goals conceded 4. Our defence and midfield have been poor for both games, and Roy must take some of the blame for that for trying to shoehorned Rooney, sturridge, sterling and Wellbeck into the starting line up.

I would stick with him though as there is no one else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Very fair assessment, Stupot.

Think we were determined to play Welbeck and esepcially Rooney come hell or high water and tried to accommodate them whatever other players were around them.

Also think you are correct about the midfield. In neither of the 2 games did we control things or indeed look in control in the middle of the park. This is one of the reasons I want to see Lallana and Wilshere play together. Be interesting to see if that chemistry works.

In defence of England in one aspect, they did seem both physically and mentally shot after that Italian game and had a lot less energy on display against the Uruguayans.

Covstu

I think confidence and how we handled pressure is key as we just didn't seem as up for the games compared to Italy or Uruguay (or CR at present!). Persoanlly I think there is still a home for the likes of Welbeck and Rooney but I agree in that this should not be automatic which WR is certainly the case. Welbeck gets a lot of bad press unnecessarily in my opinion.
The team as a whole looks lost, no direction, no identity in the style of football we play either. Long ball (or direct) like it or not but at least we were clear about the type of game we wanted to play, I haven't got a clue what we are trying to achive most games and neither do the team on the pitch.

We want to play the youngsters but here we are playing Milner and Lampard, doesn't make sense!!

turlykerd

The few times I've seen England welbeck has been the worst player on the pitch. Against Holland at wembley the ball constantly pinged off him .maybe that's why he loves playing with Johnson ?

I've said before I thinkRH should step down but he's not going to, or get sacked so that's that.

Having said that I've just been reminded that bobby Robson s first tournament was similar to this and the we got to the semis in the next .

lewys33

I think Sven saying "If he was a foreign manager he would be gone" is a fair statement to make. The worst performance in a world cup since the 50's is a big weight to carry on your shoulders. However like it has been said - who next?

Users who are viewing this thread