Rooney: Englands Greatest? (1 Viewer)

Wayne Rooney's goal against Estonia nudges him closer to Bobby Charlton's all time England scoring record. It seems inevitable he will break that record before he hangs up his boots. But I wanted to know, is he the greatest Striker England has produced? And if not, who is? This is Cook's Question for the week so please say so if you don't want your opinion read out on air

Evo1883

A fit michael owen would undoubtibly have scored maybe 60 goals for england , but its a great achievement for rooney and im pleased for the lad

ccfc92

No. How Rooney is close to being technically the best ever striker for England, is an insult to Bobby Charlton and them sort of players IMO.

Never produced when it matters, goals generally against poor opposition.

cloughie

No

his first touch is rubbish gets into the right places and can't deliver. 1 in 5 bout the average for him

stupot07

Greaves goals to game ratio is phenomenal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

No. How Rooney is close to being technically the best ever striker for England, is an insult to Bobby Charlton and them sort of players IMO.

Never produced when it matters, goals generally against poor opposition.

Bobby Charlton wasn't a striker.

Marty

Not even close. Alan Shearer at his peak was head and shoulders above Rooney. Clinical finisher. If he didn't let his heart rule his head and signed for Man United instead of Newcastle, his trophy cabinet would be bursting.

Shearer has been the best since I started watching football.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Wayne Rooney: England's Greatest? WTF????????????

Big fat over-bearing, over paid, C**T!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Too right BHSB! Not like some of the over-paid pansies that are around today! And we played in REAL football boots, not glorified multi-coloured trainers!

Gazolba

Glad someone posted this thread. Rooney may be closing in on the highest goal scorer total (mostly free kicks and penalties now) but I am not a fan. He is past his sell by date by a few years now. I tuned in to the Estonia game with 80 minutes left to go. I always pay particular attention to what Rooney does and I can tell you, he does virtually nothing except pass the ball sideways , backwards or to an opponent. He NEVER can beat a man. He has lost his pace and cannot shoot. Just in the 15 minutes I watched, he lost posession three times, missed two easy goals and a free kick. An easy header he elected to volley wildly over the bar. One on one with the Estonia goal keeper, he made a feeble chip which the goalie easily parried away. A free kick was sent yards over the bar. I cannot believe England does not have any player that can contribute more than Rooney.

Gazolba

Jimmy Greaves was the best English striker I have ever seen. He was a superb goal poacher in the Gerd Muller mould, but he could also dribble and ghost past defenders like Lionel Messi. Scored more hat-tricks for England than anyone else. The next best to him has to be Gary Lineker.
It's telling that both Greaves and Lineker played in Italy, and that no Italian team ever wanted Rooney.

I think that might be because the Italian League isn't what it used to be. Not even Mario Balotelli wanted to stay in Italy. I think he's had offers from Spain and England

Covstu

Rooney is a good player there is no doubt about it but is way off the title of 'great'. England seem to play alot more nowadays so players are creeping up in the scoring charts so i dont think it is like for like in comparison to the old era. Greaves and Charlton are way before my time so cannot comment only from what i have seen in clips and record and they seem a cut above the rest. Lineker and Shearer are greats in the modern era, just both pure strikers.

mds

Englands greatest, pffft.
Lineker was a poacher who had players around him that could provide, Greaves never saw him play guess the record speaks for itself? Shearer as much as i disliked him and his boring persona as a player rate him higher than Rooney, saying that if Rooney at international level had a good squad of players around him to support him we may think differently, also have to add in the fact that he has played in england squads that have probably had the most uninspiring demotivating managers in his generation that never really seemed to have a clue tactically or in player choice.

Keegan or Rooney :)

Users who are viewing this thread