Relocating to Coventry - advice welcome! (1 Viewer)

alidavid3116

Hi chaps,

We're relocating to the midlands in the next couple of months and I know from experience that there's often no better way to find out about the local area than by asking fans of the local team!

There are two of us, both in our forties, and we're aiming to be within 5 miles or so of Coventry. We'll be renting to begin with before we get a better sense of the area and where might be a good place to settle for the long-term.

Essentially, we're just looking for a pleasant location with all the obvious things taken care of, i.e. low crime rates, relatively safe on the streets, decent local amenities.

Places mentioned so far include Berkswell, Leamington Spa, Kenilworth and Hampton-in-Arden but I suspect these are just the tip of the iceberg. We've no objection to actually being in Coventry itself but as with all cities I'm sure there are good bits and bad bits and we don't have any knowledge at the moment about where those are.

If any of you have the time to let me know your thoughts we would be really appreciative because then we can set up some viewings in a more targeted way, without inadvertently arranging to see places that aren't in great areas.

Thanks in advance!

Otis

Hi chaps,

We're relocating to the midlands in the next couple of months and I know from experience that there's often no better way to find out about the local area than by asking fans of the local team!

There are two of us, both in our forties, and we're aiming to be within 5 miles or so of Coventry. We'll be renting to begin with before we get a better sense of the area and where might be a good place to settle for the long-term.

Essentially, we're just looking for a pleasant location with all the obvious things taken care of, i.e. low crime rates, relatively safe on the streets, decent local amenities.

Places mentioned so far include Berkswell, Leamington Spa, Kenilworth and Hampton-in-Arden but I suspect these are just the tip of the iceberg. We've no objection to actually being in Coventry itself but as with all cities I'm sure there are good bits and bad bits and we don't have any knowledge at the moment about where those are.

If any of you have the time to let me know your thoughts we would be really appreciative because then we can set up some viewings in a more targeted way, without inadvertently arranging to see places that aren't in great areas.

Thanks in advance!
Westwood Heath is worth looking at. Kenilworth, Earlsdon, which is in Coventry, very close to the city centre and is quite vibrant. Styvelchale, again in Coventry is a more affluent area too . Pronounced Stychall.

Then there are some little nice bits, some of Allesley Village, Coundon.

I'm sure there will be loads of tips from people.

I am Coventry born and bred so reasonably knowledgeable. Just ask if you have any questions.

Hopefully you will receive a warm welcome.

Otis

Without peeing on anyone's chips and this is generalisation, I would say maybe avoid Wood End, Willenhall, Stoke Aldermoor, Canley and some parts of Wyken (all actually in Coventry). A lot of council housing there and more impoverished.

Meriden is very nice. Not sure exactly how far away that is.

There is another area which is quite nice, but I am not sure what it is called. Just off the A45, near Allesley, an estate which is quite secluded and quiet. Will need to look it up. It's relatively new.

Otis

It's off Parkhill Drive. If anyone knows what is called it would be a big help.

Next door to Allesley Park. You come to the A45 roundabout and instead of going left to London or the right to Birmingham, it is a turning just before the Birmingham A45 turn and you go up Parkhill Drive and there is a whole estate there.

Daughter went to a party there and it seemed a nice area.

alidavid3116

Thanks all, that's a really great start! We could probably go up to around £1,400pcm in rent, although any saving on that is obviously a bonus. Will check out all tips so far (and strike off the ones from areas folk are less keen on)

RossB7

It's off Parkhill Drive. If anyone knows what is called it would be a big help.

Next door to Allesley Park. You come to the A45 roundabout and instead of going left to London or the right to Birmingham, it is a turning just before the Birmingham A45 turn and you go up Parkhill Drive and there is a whole estate there.

Daughter went to a party there and it seemed a nice area.

I think it's officially Allesley Green. My in laws live up there, very nice area. A certain combative FA Cup winning central midfielder lives in the area too I believe!

Otis

Thanks all, that's a really great start! We could probably go up to around £1,400pcm in rent, although any saving on that is obviously a bonus. Will check out all tips so far (and strike off the ones from areas folk are less keen on)
And don't come in and live in my road. ;)

My side is nice, but the other side of the road is the other side of the tracks. Owned our side, council housing the opposite side.

One family got evicted last week. Finally! After 5 years of police cars and ambulances and fire engines and noise and drugs etc.

All finally came to a head when they threatened a lovely old couple at the end of the row who wouldn't hurt a fly.

It is a nice street here, but let down by just three families. :(

Such a shame. Our neighbours, both sides are absolutely lovely.

I am sure you will find somewhere really nice for that sort of rent.

Good luck. :)

Rusty Trombone

With that budget I'd look at somewhere in Leamington, ideally within walking distance to the main shopping area. Plenty of decent shops and restaurants.

Marty

Isn't the south west/south of the city considered the best areas?

I'm on the Chapelfields/Earlsdon border. So get Earlsdon without the price tag. :angelic:

skybluedan

Hi chaps,

Thanks in advance!

Is that you Tim ? No actually you wouldn't be asking the fans

Otis

I think it's officially Allesley Green. My in laws live up there, very nice area. A certain combative FA Cup winning central midfielder lives in the area too I believe!
Yeah, Allesley Green, thanks. Very nice there. Only about 3 miles from the city centre.

skybluedan

And don't come in and live in my road. ;)

My side is nice, but the other side of the road is the other side of the tracks. Owned our side, council housing the opposite side.

say it like it is Otis , Hahahahha

skybluedan

Isn't the south west/south of the city considered the best areas?

I'm on the Chapelfields/Earlsdon border. So get Earlsdon without the price tag. :angelic:

Does earls don still have that nice stretch of shops on the Main Street ,
Used to be nice , ain't been down there for years

clint van damme

you'll get somewhere very decent for that money. Kenilworth is great, plenty of restaurants and bars and an easy commute into Coventry.
If you actually want to be in Coventry then for that sort of money I'd be looking at Stivichall or top of Earlsdon.

Adge

Forget all this non-sense and get yourself over to Warwick/Stratford upon Avon. I left Cov about 15 years ago-mimimal crime, better schools etc etc. Bit higher on the rent and maybe the cost of living but worth it. You should be ok with your budget mentioned.

skybluedan

My pals used to have shops up there, midland fires that's used to be at the top or bottom which ever way your looking from, and about half way a nice coffee shop on the same side next to a side road my Greek friend mick had that, it was great up there a half day out

clint van damme

Forget all this non-sense and get yourself over to Warwick/Stratford upon Avon. I left Cov about 15 years ago-mimimal crime, better schools etc etc. Bit higher on the rent and maybe the cost of living but worth it. You should be ok with your budget mentioned.

Stratfords great, hoping to move out there myself in about 5-6 years as I start to wind down,
Warwicks a nice place but it's full of weirdos.

Otis

He said within about 5 miles though, so that's what we are basing it on. Am guessing Stratford will be much, much higher house prices. Leamington and Kenilworth are closer and are nice. Westwood Heath in Coventry, close to Warwick Uni is nice too.

clint van damme

Stratfords great, hoping to move out there myself in about 5-6 years as I start to wind down,
Warwicks a nice place but it's full of weirdos.

edit to say if you're working in Coventry then Stratford would depend on how much of a commute you want to put up with. It[s about 35 minute drive approx.

Marty

My pals used to have shops up there, midland fires that's used to be at the top or bottom which ever way your looking from, and about half way a nice coffee shop on the same side next to a side road my Greek friend mick had that, it was great up there a half day out

I keep meaning to try that ice cream place down there. Always busy and looks lovely every time I pass.

clint van damme

I keep meaning to try that ice cream place down there. Always busy and looks lovely every time I pass.

now an American diner type place but I think it may be owned by the same people, they still do a similar selection of ice creams. Decent hot dog as well.

Terry Gibson's perm

Get yourself to Nuneaton my house is for sale sounds perfect for you:D

The advice on here is all good so far

Marty

Think it was zafiris the one I'm on about, still there?

I was only there last night but didn't go that far up the street. I have a feeling you're right though as they were closed a while back for a refurb.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Henley Green, Wood End, some parts of Tile Hill, Hillfields, Stoke Aldermoor, Canley.
I'd avoid these. :emoji_grin:

Astute

Without peeing on anyone's chips and this is generalisation, I would say maybe avoid Wood End, Willenhall, Stoke Aldermoor, Canley and some parts of Wyken (all actually in Coventry). A lot of council housing there and more impoverished.

Meriden is very nice. Not sure exactly how far away that is.

There is another area which is quite nice, but I am not sure what it is called. Just off the A45, near Allesley, an estate which is quite secluded and quiet. Will need to look it up. It's relatively new.
So what Otis is saying is don't move to the areas I grew up in :smuggrin:

Users who are viewing this thread