Religious intolerance (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

How have I been rude?

Religion looks to me to be bullshit and causes suffering in many parts of the world. It lends itself to being constantly reinterpreted by unscrupulous leaders.

Unfortunately people still seem prepared to defend ridiculous stories and claims.

If someone on here shows us conclusively that a god exists, then great. Has never happened since religion was invented though. I won't hold my breath.

Equating tales from the Bible with fairy tales may appear rude, but the only thing that is different is that people have killed for the ones in the Bible. If you think I am wrong, then prove the Bible tales are true.

That is not being rude.
What's the point ??? Or is there just no point whatsoever

covcity4life

you posed a question and i gave you an answer based on what i have learnt about my religion. if you dont agree thats fine. but why be rude with such a flippant reply?

hill if you have a problem with my religion let me know,you know where i am

im done with this thread for now as it needs to be a 2 way street in terms of respect.

Sick Boy

you posed a question and i gave you an answer based on what i have learnt about my religion. if you dont agree thats fine. but why be rude with such a flippant reply?

im done with this thread for now as it needs to be a 2 way street in terms of respect.

Again, humans are the top of this chain because it is a religion made by man-kind.

If I went around claiming that I had previously been a dog in a different life, I would probably end up getting sectioned.

hill83

So defensive. I don't even know or care what your religion is.

Sky Blue Pete

I was brought up as a catholic and attended mass until I was 18 (not all one service before I get a sly quip). I started to question the belief in a God that I was preached to about and have never had a logical, evidenced answer to God's existence. I cannot simply take a leap of faith that God exists in some way - unless I am presented with evidence. I don't think this is an unreasonable position to take.

I attended a non denomination comprehensive and was taught a reasonable amount about other faiths which maybe led to me questioning the existence of God (any God for that matter). - I found the RE lessons interesting and these helped broadened my mind I think from the Catholic doctrine. I still don't see why I should believe in something because from an early age "we told you so" and "it is the word of the Lord" - there is no logic in this (sounding like Mr Spock now!).

I have a strong personal view on life that I take people as I find them, and I expect others to respect me as an equal. I really do not like to be preached at by those who happen to have a strong belief and are able to take that leap of faith. I also don't like people who have a strong faith deliberately painting themselves as being victimised by others who simply ask for evidence. The bible is full of parables of the like - and the Catholic church is famous for dining out on these. I personally don't think that makes me intolerant of religion at all, in fact rather respectful of those that do believe (I am referring to family members).

When I die, and say that there is a God, then I expect to be treated fairly as I don't consider myself to be a bad person. A little evidence in life of God's existence would be good though - we could even end this thread then!

I fully expect to receive criticism for this post, for merely expressing my personal take on things (let's say I have taken a leap of faith in posting it)
No criticism for that honesty

Astute

dont twist things. pathetic from you

where have i said not beleiving is intolerent? i said your attitude to religions is.

all you bang on about is the bible. do you know the religion i follow is insistent on equal rights for men and women? also homosexuals are not mentioned so not outlawed.

if you have an issue with christianity thats up2u. dont act like there is no other out there because it doesnt fit your narrative.
You need to grow up. It is people like you that makes having a debate impossible.

Astute

some religions say that human form is the highest and only in this form can we find salvation

thats tied in with reincarnation where you go through lives animals etc until born as a human
And what happens after being human?

martcov

Was asking you a question?

I'll give you a clue.... second part of your question is the answer.

There is no point in us being here. We are lucky to have been conceived on a planet which can support some form of life on a fraction of it's surface. That is great. Enjoy your time here amongst this great tribe of one of the great apes.

There is no point in billions of stars and galaxies being here either. They just are. They arose after the big bang according to our present knowledge.

Sky Blue Pete

I'll give you a clue.... second part of your question is the answer.

There is no point in us being here. We are lucky to have been conceived on a planet which can support some form of life on a fraction of it's surface. That is great. Enjoy your time here amongst this great tribe of one of the great apes.

There is no point in billions of stars and galaxies being here either. They just are. They arose after the big bang according to our present knowledge.
You're making me sad now. Appreciate you answering. Praise God my life has some meaning but I'm more amazed you're ok with no meaning whatsoever but still a motivation to be a good guy

Astute

You're making me sad now. Appreciate you answering. Praise God my life has some meaning but I'm more amazed you're ok with no meaning whatsoever but still a motivation to be a good guy
There is no need to be nasty just for the sake of it.

I get self satisfaction from helping people. I don't need recognition. I get nothing at all from being nasty to people. So I don't feel the need to be.

And just because there isn't any meaning to us being here it doesn't mean that I can't enjoy myself. You create your own meaning. Mine is to make a difference to people, especially family and friends.

So what difference does it make to a believer?

Sick Boy

Why should it make you sad? If you take comfort in that from region it's your choice, a lot of people are quite comfortable that there doesn't have to be any reason or greater meaning to our existence.

Rusty Trombone

Was it God that suggested you work for the Inland Revenue Pete?:angelic::emoji_see_no_evil::emoji_hear_no_evil:

Sky Blue Pete

It does make me sad sorry. I find it interesting and illuminating what you find gives your life meaning. Astute was i being nasty?

My belief gives me reason for seeking to bring about gods kingdom values as I've said earlier and to seek to make a difference to my family friends and community where I have the influence

Last edited:

hill83

It does make me sad sorry. I find it interesting and illuminating what you find gives your life meaning. Astute was being nasty?

I don't need a meaning. I'm here. I try to have a laugh as much as possible, and now I've got a son to raise to be a good person and also have a laugh as much as possible.
That's it. I also post on here. I love life.

I find it sad that you can't just enjoy life without having a meaning to it.*

*not having a go, worth mentioning as there is a lot of soreness in this thread.

Sky Blue Pete

I don't need a meaning. I'm here. I try to have a laugh as much as possible, and now I've got a son to raise to be a good person and also have a laugh as much as possible.
That's it. I also post on here. I love life.

I find it sad that you can't just enjoy life without having a meaning to it.*

*not having a go, worth mentioning as there is a lot of soreness in this thread.
I know you're not having a go! But thanks for saying. Like I say illuminating

Otis

It does make me sad sorry. I find it interesting and illuminating what you find gives your life meaning. Astute was being nasty?

My belief gives me reason for seeking to bring about gods kingdom values as I've said earlier and to seek to make a difference to my family friends and community where I have the influence
Do you you ever watch The Big Questions on BBC1 on a Sunday? I find it very interesting. People from all faiths and non-believers too.

martcov

As I said we are lucky to be here. So many things to do, such natural beauty. So many things our fellow beings have created, written, composed..... absolutely no meaning, but wonderful that we live a short time on this planet.

Enjoy it for what it is and don't bother dreaming up imaginary friends to create an illusion of purpose.

Otis

im generally at church. Is it good?
Yes, very much so. Usually have three big questions they debate. Could be 'Is there a hell?' 'Should the church support gay marriage?' That sort of thing.

They usually have representatives of the Catholic, Islamic, Christian, Hindu and Sikh faiths, plus academics and Atheists.

Hosted by Nicky Campbell. Maybe worth recording.

Sky Blue Pete

Yes, very much so. Usually have three big questions they debate. Could be 'Is there a hell?' 'Should the church support gay marriage?' That sort of thing.

They usually have representatives of the Catholic, Islamic, Christian, Hindu and Sikh faiths, plus academics and Atheists.

Used to like the Andrew marr show too. I will cheers Otis

martcov

It does make me sad sorry. I find it interesting and illuminating what you find gives your life meaning. Astute was i being nasty?

Gods kingdoms values.... the god of the bible is a nasty bastard. I am glad we haven't heard from him for a while. I certainly will not be applying his values in my life. I do try and live a decent life - what is generally accepted today as decent.

Sky Blue Pete

Gods kingdoms values.... the god of the bible is a nasty bastard. I am glad we haven't heard from him for a while. I certainly will not be applying his values in my life. I do try and live a decent life - what is generally accepted today as decent.
Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness gentleness, goodness, self-control, faithfulness

martcov

Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness gentleness, goodness, self-control, faithfulness

Mention that next time your talking to him. Ask him why he had whole tribes wiped out in the OT and why he hates gays - who he also created. The guy wrote the Ten Commandments- the first few are basically asking for praise to him and loyalty to him.

Whilst you are on the subject of the Ten Commandments, ask him why the Jews are the chosen people? Why did he never appear to Asian people? Is he a racist as well as a homophobe and misogynistic arsehole?

I think you have been cherry picking, if you are implying that the virtues you have listed apply to the nasty Old Testament god of the bible.

Bad tempered insecure old man would fit better.

Sky Blue Pete

Mention that next time your talking to him. Ask him why he had whole tribes wiped out in the OT and why he hates gays - who he also created. The guy wrote the Ten Commandments- the first few are basically asking for praise to him and loyalty to him.

Whilst you are on the subject of the Ten Commandments, ask him why the Jews are the chosen people? Why did he never appear to Asian people? Is he a racist as well as a homophobe and misogynistic arsehole?

I think you have been cherry picking, if you are implying that the virtues you have listed apply to the nasty Old Testament god of the bible.

Bad tempered insecure old man would fit better.
Think there are many millions of Asian people who would say Jesus has appeared to them. People did those things in gods name

Those virtues are the fruits of god living in you

Monners

:bucktooth:

Point of order - Catholics are Christians - the Cof E was made up :happy:

Otis

:bucktooth:
Point of order - Catholics are Christians - the Cof E was made up :happy:
Ooh, contentious point.

There are significant differences between the Catholic and 'Christian' faith. Confession, the importance of Mary (Mother of God). ;)

And besides, if you ask a Catholic about their religion, they don't say they are Christian, they say they are Catholic.

:)

Otis

Just the same as most non believers. You don't have to believe in a God to lead a good life.
Very true.

Now, I don't know if other people are like this, but one thing that does concern me is people living their lives through Jesus to the extent that it formulates every single aspect of their day to day existence.

Number one priority, everything else potentially pushed aside and of lesser importance.

Do you have to go to church EVERY Sunday? Rain or shine? Must he be worshipped endlessly and persistently every single day?

I love my Christian neighbours, but I do feel that God impinges so much on their lives they lose focus on what else is important.

They have four kids and drag them to every service, every get together, every event, even to the detriment of their children's health.

Example: Just before Christmas they went off to some church gathering in the evening and they didn't come back home until 12.45am (I was just arriving home at the exact same time).

Kids looked exhausted. One is 3, one is 5, one 10 and one 15.

They then got their kids up at 7.30 the next day to go back to church, zooming off at just after 9 am.

I know they love Jesus and want to worship the Holy Trinity, but surely you have to think about your kids' well-being!

As I say, the kids are dragged off here, there and everywhere. Very unsocial hours and it could be blowing a gale or tornado and still off they will trot.

Don't wish to get into another argument, but what kind of God would want you to worship him every single day of your existence?

Users who are viewing this thread