Pricing Up Jobs ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

I do jobs for customers on my window cleaning round like gardening, cleaning gutters,and the odd painting job.But I always am unsure about how much I should charge, and end up going too low or a bit too high. Recently I cleaned a gutter out and the chap said bloody hell that's not much and gave me a few more quid.while an elderly lady said I charged her far too much,and I felt so guilty I gave her some back after tidying up her jungle of a garden ! Any suggestions ?

armybike

I'd say £10ph would be a reasonable rate to charge for doing odd jobs.

If the job needs parts like locks etc then maybe get the customer to supply them, as this saves you having to source them.

Also, try where possible to give them a price before hand and keep them in the loop if for some reason it's going to take longer than you'd anticipated.

Also don't forget to factor in wear/tear on any tools of your own you might need to use.

This might also help - http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Job=Handyman/Hourly_Rate

bringbackrattles

I'd say £10ph would be a reasonable rate to charge for doing odd jobs.

If the job needs parts like locks etc then maybe get the customer to supply them, as this saves you having to source them.

Also, try where possible to give them a price before hand and keep them in the loop if for some reason it's going to take longer than you'd anticipated.

Also don't forget to factor in wear/tear on any tools of your own you might need to use.

This might also help - http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Job=Handyman/Hourly_Rate
Many thanks much appreciated. When you talk in the pub to outdoor workers they say go high and see if you get that price ? But I bottle it and anyway I like to be fair and not rip people off. Cheers.

armybike

Many thanks much appreciated. When you talk in the pub to outdoor workers they say go high and see if you get that price ? But I bottle it and anyway I like to be fair and not rip people off. Cheers.

I think this kind of work can be a licence to print money, but the fact that doesn't sit right with you shows you're a decent bloke.

£10 is only a ballpark figure and I suppose it'd be reasonable to go up to £12.50 depending on the job you've been asked to do, especially if it's going to be a back breaker, so getting £100 for an eight hour day.

Last edited:

bringbackrattles

I think this kind of work can be a licence to print money, but the fact that doesn't sit right with you shows your a decent bloke.

£10 is only a ballpark figure and I suppose it'd be reasonable to go up to £12.50 depending on the job you've been asked to do, especially if it's going to be a back breaker, so getting £100 for an eight hour day.
I like Indians and find them decent people,but where money is concerned they can be really tight.In fact my mate who's a builder won't do jobs with them anymore as he got ripped off badly,which resulted in him chinning the bloke.I did a garden for one and I set the price,but after two days grafting he tried to pay less than we agreed. I stood my ground gave him a hard stare and hinted pay or this could turn nasty. I got the agreed amount but he tried hard to rip me off.

Captain Dart

Maybe you should look at getting on Age UK trusted tradesman list (used to be Age Concern). http://www.ageuk.org.uk/
I'd guess they need some sort of reference & you'd have to have a patient manner dealing with the elderly.
When my late Aunt P & Uncle D were both alive they often used people from the list, like the guy who used to do their garden, spoke to him a few times, I thought he was really a pleasant guy, had his son along 'helping out' on one occasion. :droid: I mean there are a lot of simple jobs an old person trying to remain independent wouldn't be up to any more.

NorthernWisdom

You don't even have to be a pensioner to use that anymore, I got all my tradesmen through that when moving in

(the bloke who did *my* guttering seemed suspiciously cheap too, but then I'd use him again the next time I need somebody)

olderskyblue

I have a guy who comes and does the hard graft in my garden every so often, he charges £12/hr. I got quoted £14/hr about 5 years ago by 2 other gardener types, so I think £12 is pretty good.

bringbackrattles

I have a guy who comes and does the hard graft in my garden every so often, he charges £12/hr. I got quoted £14/hr about 5 years ago by 2 other gardener types, so I think £12 is pretty good.
I charge around £10.00 an hour for a garden job, or some like me to do say three hours work for £30.00.I do an elderly lady's and she reckons because she gives me lots of cups of tea and cake,that a fiver should be enough. I've known her since I was a kid so I say nowt.
Bet she waves me off thinking what a mug !

armybike

I charge around £10.00 an hour for a garden job, or some like me to do say three hours work for £30.00.I do an elderly lady's and she reckons because she gives me lots of cups of tea and cake,that a fiver should be enough. I've known her since I was a kid so I say nowt.
Bet she waves me off thinking what a mug !

Tell her to stop with the tea and cakes and pay you the going rate

dancers lance

If you are self employed it is impossible to charge customers an hourly rate on small jobs, if you do you will find you will not be earning enough to survive (you will only do a couple of 1 - 2 hour jobs a day due to setting up, cleaning down, talking to customers, traveling etc) so if you charge £10.00 an hour you will be lucky to make £40 over a day. However if you are already on a job and the customer wants something extra you can charge an hourly rate. We always charge a day rate for any job with the minimum being half a day (even if the job itself only takes 1 hour), 99% of customers expect and understand this and as long as they get a good job they are happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread