Match Thread Plymouth (A)- Wednesday 14th Feb (5 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

So is it being over cautious, considering neither have a history of fatigue injuries? Wright looks like he could play all day, seems like a proper athlete.
I'd say it's working them into the pace and schedule of an English season, and making sure there aren't issues. Over-cautious? I don't think so, but it's one of those things you can't really test without trying the other (impossible to do both) or with the benefit of hindsight!

Otis

I have to say Plymouth were great at staying on their feet. Think they’ll become a force in championship if they sell Whitaker for £10m plus and reinvest
Really lovely fans on Twitter too
Season 4 Group GIF by Friends

AJB1983

Wasn’t haji’s recent groin issue to do with fatigue and tiredness - he did seem to overstretch it when got the injury but he’d played a lot of minutes in the run up to it, and robins did say he thought it was that.
I think it’s wise especially given how long he was out for - wouldn’t want it happening again.

I remember when there used to be a glut of (not just Cov) players coming back from long term injuries then doing hamstrings shortly afterwards as they hadn’t managed the return properly. (In fact West Brom Daryl Dyke - look at that. Did his Achilles, then came back and did his hamstring, then just come back again and done his other Achilles).
Better to be cautious if we’re able to.

hamertime

I'd say it's working them into the pace and schedule of an English season, and making sure there aren't issues. Over-cautious? I don't think so, but it's one of those things you can't really test without trying the other (impossible to do both) or with the benefit of hindsight!
What about O’Hare, it doesn’t look like he wants to sign a contract so why don’t we just keep playing him anyway as it wouldn’t be a our problem if he got injured and we’re not going to get any money for him so what does it matter. Or is it he said he was too tired to play so he don’t get injured, are we going to see more of this the longer the season goes on as Callum knows if he gets injured he’s totally screwed?

NorthernWisdom

What about O’Hare, it doesn’t look like he wants to sign a contract so why don’t we just keep playing him anyway as it wouldn’t be a our problem if he got injured and we’re not going to get any money for him so what does it matter. Or is it he said he was too tired to play so he don’t get injured, are we going to see more of this the longer the season goes on as Callum knows if he gets injured he’s totally screwed?
We do want O'Hare to have maximum impact when he's on the pitch though - even Gyokeres faded a little towards the end after being flogged to death - Hamer only kept going because he got banned for eternity at the start of the season so had a nice break(!)

There's also what players who might want to join us might think as well - not just whether they'll get game time, but if they'll be looked after.

baldy

Bit of a stretch that

long way home

Robins is setting a standard, if you in the squad you are good enough to play and to win games. He doesn't see it as a lesser team he puts out.

He stated last night in the changing room, he told the players we can all use excuses all day everyday. But he will not take it as a reason, he wants them whoever is playing to wear the shirt with pride and play with energy and tempo...

Work harder and learn quickly or you will be out the door. Dont moan about playing time, work hard, train hard and take any opportunity that comes to you. No sentiment, just very good hard nose management that wants the best out of what he has, he is very good at knowing the level of capabilities of each player, so doesn't take BS. He also is on safe ground as his methods work and produce constant improvement with players and squads.

Johhny Blue

in slow-mo, you can see he means to get his foot to it and it goes straight in, no deflection and past the keeper
Nothing flukey about it, and makes up for the shambles against Swansea!!!
their fans saying we're well organised but fluid too, why can't OUR 'fans' ever accept we are a very decent side in the play-offs, what do they expect, auto's ?????
The Plymouth fan’s post is correct though. A two or even 1 man wall would have taken away that option. Their defender that should have been on the post tried to beat Kitching to the ball when he should have stood his ground and blocked a possible shot. Sunday league defending by Plymouth

JohnWH

Doesn’t look like he was given the assist
Doesn't look like BBC (how official is that?) Match report lists assists for either Coventry goal. I also thought Argyle second goal was an own goal, but listed as Miller's. What did I miss? Could barely see the action clearly with the conditions, though.

Johhny Blue

I looked at it several times on the highlights I couldn't make out how it went in.
Frame by frame it looks like Kitching hit it straight in. As I mentioned the defender should have stayed put blocking the shooting angle instead of an all or nothing attempt to beat Kitching to the ball

shmmeee

Doesn't look like BBC (how official is that?) Match report lists assists for either Coventry goal. I also thought Argyle second goal was an own goal, but listed as Miller's. What did I miss? Could barely see the action clearly with the conditions, though.

Simms was a rebound off the keeper, Kitchings a rebound off the defender. If either had gone straight in Torp would have the assist.

Hertsccfc

Yes, I understand what you’re saying, and there is a lot of sense in it. I’m just wondering if we’ve gone too far the other way with the O’Hare and Jodie Jones injuries have caused this mentality. Personally, I just think some players are injury prone and I can understand the caution with O’Hare. Haji or Sakamoto haven’t got any history of fatigue injuries and should have been played imo.
It's Wright and Sakamoto's first season in this league and I am not sure they would have had the same number and intensity of games in the leagues they have come from. Wright had a fatigue type injury recently. Think we have to trust the fitness team on this.

quinn1971

rotating the teams fine so long as you’ve got a certain quality of player to bring in, we don’t have that luxury, but it does seem that robins changes the team a lot, never been 100% convinced why a professional footballer can’t play sometimes 2 games a week for a season, and why they actually need “A rest “,

Frostie

Simms was a rebound off the keeper, Kitchings a rebound off the defender. If either had gone straight in Torp would have the assist.

Yep, technically neither is an assist for Torp.
Another example of why Assists alone is a shite stat to use.

HadjiChippo

Turned down a 8 million bid from lazio in January. Doubt they are accepting that offer you propose
They would’ve been mad to accept that. 3 and half years left on deal, 23 years old, and now joint top scorer in the league with a decent assist return also.

Will be very costly in the summer, also add an English tax on top (home grown player for PL teams). He’ll definitely go for more than we got for Gyokeres.

baldy

I hate the way the live BBC pages reporters word things when they’re describing the action for each match - looks like they’re trying too hard to be funny/clever with each post

Flying Fokker

Evo1883

Was literally about to post how many positive comments there has been on social media about how loud the fans were last night .. back to our old self in that regard .. need to keep that up Saturday

MikeyMoo

Well we were Singers. I think sides are scared of what Sakamoto can do so it's a combination of man-marking, double teaming and bullying. He's going to have to come through it, and even if things stay as they are, in principle the obsession with cutting him out of the game opens up space for another player.

Tomh111

They would’ve been mad to accept that. 3 and half years left on deal, 23 years old, and now joint top scorer in the league with a decent assist return also.

Will be very costly in the summer, also add an English tax on top (home grown player for PL teams). He’ll definitely go for more than we got for Gyokeres.
Plymouth mate told me the club are demanding £20million for him.

They owe Swansea 25% of anything, so it's a big old chunk heading down the m4.

I think £20m is a lot for him, but I hope they get close to that. They are a nice club and seem to have their heads screwed on off the pitch so that money reinvested properly would set them right up.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Flying Fokker

I think £20m is a lot for him, but I hope they get close to that. They are a nice club and seem to have their heads screwed on off the pitch so that money reinvested properly would set them right up.

We managed that with Vik It’s looking good for them. Sell in the summer and enjoy the journey.

Astute

Worth every penny in an inflated market. Made some of our players look so average that they were rated down for having a bad game. Been doing it all season. If he was in a good side he would be a totally stand out player.

Users who are viewing this thread