Pictures of Cov in the past and Coventry Pubs (3 Viewers)

wingy

U
Did you get much done on Mondays, Wingy? ;)

I used to have a Fiat Miafiori too. Cracking car, if somewhat porous in the finest Italian tradition - I guess the holes made it lighter. Five speed!
Usually "day release "Mondays so not too bad and a 9-00 am start and a pint at lunchtime, maybe teatime if doing the evening class.
What was the name of the pub over the road from the Winfrey annexe at the Butts? O:)

wingy

Got it!
Hen &Chicks.
What was the other pub called further up?
(In Hertford place)?
Behind Mercia Sound, Careys, West Indian Club.
On the left, more of spit and sawdust type place,

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Got it!
Hen &Chicks.
What was the other pub called further up?
(In Hertford place)?
Behind Mercia Sound, Careys, West Indian Club.
On the left, more of spit and sawdust type place,
Isn't this where the Relate Office is now? I seem to remember this as a pub but buggered if I can remember the name!
Capture.JPG

olderskyblue

Hertford Arms?

clint van damme

When I and my brother were kids we used to go out for bicycle rides every Sunday with our Dad. We always ended up at a pub, but hardly ever in Coventry. We'd ride out into the country (as it was then), places like Barnacle, Shilton, Bulkington, Brinklow, Withybrook, Monks Kirby and some others I forget the name of. Our Dad would let us have a sip of his drink. I always hated the taste of beer but I loved cider and lager and lime. A couple of pubs we did used to go to in Coventry were The Jolly Colliers on Woodway Lane and The Boat on Shilton Lane. I never was much of a drinker myself and mainly went to pubs for their folk club nights. Places like the Elastic Inn and the Three Tuns. When I got older my favourite places to take dates were The Alhambra, The Smithfield Hotel and The Cheylesmore. All great places and sadly all now gone.

The Alhambra was a great match day pub. Often used to end up there after away games as well.

Ranjit Bhurpa

U

Usually "day release "Mondays so not too bad and a 9-00 am start and a pint at lunchtime, maybe teatime if doing the evening class.
What was the name of the pub over the road from the Winfrey annexe at the Butts? O:)
Had some Law lectures in the Winfrey annexe whilst studying at the Tech. Can't remember going in the Hen & Chicks but will confess to many a pleasant lunchtime spent in the Victoria Billiards Club.

clint van damme

Had some Law lectures in the Winfrey annexe whilst studying at the Tech. Can't remember going in the Hen & Chicks but will confess to many a pleasant lunchtime spent in the Victoria Billiards Club.

Remember the whole lounge going up one Christmas eve, wild west style. Police arrived and were just grabbing people and throwing them into the back of a meat wagon.
On boxing day same again but this time the bar went up as well, though I wasn't there for that one. Got some great memories of that place.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Sunday mornings in the Canley cub or Standard /Triumph club as the footyclub moved, then my mate driving his Miafiori Van den Valk style round the Cobbles by the Cathedral before battering the door at the Old Stag (6-55pm), followed by the Smithfield, Tally Ho and Jag in that order usually.
Remember thinking at the time that the Mirafiori Sport was a challenger to the RS2000, mechanically speaking anyway. Also the Dolly Sprint and a shout too for the Hunter GLS, a real wolf in sheep's clothing.

Captain Dart

PM173570.jpg

I remember going in to sit down and eat once.

Houchens Head

Anyone remember the Green Man In Aldermans Green? No-one seems to recall it and I don't have any pictures.

Gazolba

Anyone remember the Green Man In Aldermans Green? No-one seems to recall it and I don't have any pictures.
Yes, I went there a few times. The sign was a person dressed in Robin Hood garb.

Houchens Head

Thanks Gazolba! That's the one! I'd love a picture of it but I've exhausted my searches. Been looking for ages.

RedSalmon

From Flickr:
Dqua7si.jpg

Chip shop opposite:
cxY7sLl.jpg

I remember the original Miners Arms getting pulled down and the one that is in the picture getting built. Could be wrong but i reckon it was around the same time as the M6 was being put through just up the road.

Users who are viewing this thread