Nintendo Switch (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Has anybody got one yet? Might be buying one as they seem handy in that they are portable etc and more importantly it has a Pokemon game.

Don't expect it to be for proper gaming, and more along the lines of the Wii.

Ccfcsj

I bought one on launch day. Great piece of kit with a growing number of games, some, like Mario Kart are great for portable gaming. The downside was the amount of games but this seems to be growing rapidly now.

Will it last the race? Still not sure but with games like Fifa on it (although cut down version) it has an outside chance.

Would I recommend one? Yes - I brought mine into work and a colleague went a bought one the same day as he was so impressed.

Nick

Administrator
I don't think I will be bothering with things like Fifa and "proper" games but will be getting the Pokemon one and the novelty type ones.

What is the battery life like on it?

Otis

Very good.

We have had one now since June. Excellent battery life and now has some excellent games in tow too.

The controllers I believe have about 40hrs charge on them.

It's great for playing on the TV and then just going off and playing on the console elsewhere.

Super Mario Odyssey is out next week too. A sandbox game that looks immense and seems to be generating a lot of positive publicity.

Ccfcsj

My daughter easily plays for 4 or 5 hours without charging. Guess it may depend on the game.
True. I'm basing the life on games like Mario Kart and Zelda which do drain the battery more. I think the "indie" games and less graphical games last longer

Nick

Administrator
The Mario game looks quite good, might add that to the list as well then!

I guess you just have the dock and walk in the house and put it on that and then use the control pads to play on the TV?

Even so, 2-3 hours is still pretty good for solid gaming so with a car charger for long journeys it might be ok.

Ccfcsj

You can play it in a variety of ways. Portable with the controllers attached to make it one unit, portable with the controllers separate (the Switch has a flimsy built in stand) docked with the controllers separate (a bit like the wii controller and nunchuck) or as a gamepad (this comes with it - you just slide the controllers onto it). The controllers charge when attached to the unit and put into the base station.

The switch between TV and handheld is fairly seamless (literally just put into the cradle or remove) which is a brilliant feature

Nick

Administrator
Sounds pretty good! Are the games along the lines of the quality Wii games were when they came out compared to the Playstation / Xbox?

Otis

I would say better quality than the Wii
Yeah, better games than the Wii I would say.

Splatoon is fabulous, so too obviously, Mario Kart and Zelda, Breath of the Wild. Arms is very good too.

Going to add Mario Odyssey to that too. We also have Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

Otis

Depends what you like. It has very good reviews and my daughter likes is, but does find it a bit tough for her. She is only 13 though.

Think we got it for under £40.

Otis

Shameless plug to Rabbids - Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Have any of you got the Pokemon fighting one?
Find It For Less? Hmm, sure I have seen that website somewhere before, but cannot think where.

No, not got the Pokémon one. To be quite honest I think I need to sign my daughter up on here. I hardly play at all and some games I have never player and just watch my daughter playing on them. She's the expert.

Not played at all on Rabbids. Used to like Splatoon a lot, but am too busy to play and haven't had a go on anything for months (so pretty much since we got it in June).

Nick

Administrator
Find It For Less? Hmm, sure I have seen that website somewhere before, but cannot think where.

No, not got the Pokémon one. To be quite honest I think I need to sign my daughter up on here. I hardly play at all and some games I have never player and just watch my daughter playing on them. She's the expert.

Not played at all on Rabbids. Used to like Splatoon a lot, but am too busy to play and haven't had a go on anything for months (so pretty much since we got it in June).

I did say Shameless Plug ;)

Covstu

I was tempted but the games seem to be geared for younger players so I would think the novelty would wear off for me personally. Technically looks a great bit of kit though.

I would have though the big two would have released a new portable by now. The PSP is old and Microsoft haven't dipped their toe into this water yet?

Otis

Would say the Switch is geared up to much wider audience than the Wii and Wii U and not merely towards younger players. :)

Ian1779

Zelda game looks amazing....

I am currently playing Ocarina of Time after deciding to drag my Gamecube out of the loft. Forgot how good it is (and bloody infuriating as well) and although graphics have improved out of sight, you can't beat a solid bit of good gameplay.

Otis

Zelda game looks amazing....

I am currently playing Ocarina of Time after deciding to drag my Gamecube out of the loft. Forgot how good it is (and bloody infuriating as well) and although graphics have improved out of sight, you can't beat a solid bit of good gameplay.
Yeah, the Zelda game is excellent and so expansive a kingdom.

Nick

Administrator
The box is pretty light and small, haven't opened it but considering it's the console and 2 games theres nothing to it.

Covstu

going to be the thing for Christmas I would assume? How much are they going for at the moment?

Nick

Administrator
I'm not sure I'd want to try proper gaming on it. Have a PS4 already for the grown up stuff that should do it better.

Otis

I'm not sure I'd want to try proper gaming on it. Have a PS4 already for the grown up stuff that should do it better.
Yeah. Nice to have a range though. Just looked at video of upcoming games and there do look to be some good ones in there.

I just think all consoles should appeal to all age groups. Makes business sense for the companies and you then also make the console appealing for both kids and adults alike.

Users who are viewing this thread