Next 6 Fixtures (1 Viewer)

Astute

The only way would be if in January we were right at the top of the pile and then they sold all our best players.

Even they aren't that stupid though are they?
It is my biggest fear.

Astute

When have we actually ever done that? We didn't even get rid of Callum Wilson the season he and Clarke were juggernauts. Getting £1m for Clarke, who was 29/30? Good business.
How often do injured players get sold?

What happened when he came back from injury?

Astute

cash in on who though? Stevenson? He's on the bench. Willis? Would be a loss but not one we couldn't live with. Jones, after his start would be the wounder and everyone else has been signed during the summer so can't see them leaving.
Half a million for Prem sides is pocket money. They buy young promising players with a view to the future. They only need the occasional couple to come good to make money. Or even to improve their squad. Willis and Jones could be targets.

shmmeee

When have we actually ever done that? We didn't even get rid of Callum Wilson the season he and Clarke were juggernauts. Getting £1m for Clarke, who was 29/30? Good business.

Still sold him though didn’t we? Good business or not.

Also sold Jutkeiwicz when he was top scorer, and there’s others if I could be arsed to go look. We’ve done it several seasons under Sisu.

Astute

you're also working on the assumption they'll be here in January :emoji_smile:
SISU would lose money selling them early in the season when we are buying more tickets than they could have hoped for at this stage of the season. We just have to hope that they turn down any small offers or let Robins decide what is an offer that is too good to refuse when they do come in during the next transfer window.

Otis

If we continue to do well though crowds will surely be up and there should therefore be less immediate need to sell anyone.

The other positive thing is also that if we are doing really well players are more likely to want to stay and also we will have a better chance of putting clubs off until the summer, where the player's stock may have risen further.

Mucca Mad Boys

Still sold him though didn’t we? Good business or not.

Also sold Jutkeiwicz when he was top scorer, and there’s others if I could be arsed to go look. We’ve done it several seasons under Sisu.

Can't remember a time we haven't done it as my time as a Coventry City supporter.

clint van damme

Getting 1m for a player who is shooting you towards promotion is good business?

Our season was over once he was gone.

but how do you know that he didn't want to go once he knew there was interest in him?
I'm not sticking up for sisus transfer and recruitment policy which has been an unmitigated disaster but it's the same with George Thomas, people seem to think if the club say stay then they'll stay.
Sometimes a player wants to go and you just have to let them go. The further down the ladder you are the harder it is to fend off interest and we're pretty much on the bottom rung.

Astute

If we continue to do well though crowds will surely be up and there should therefore be less immediate need to sell anyone.

The other positive thing is also that if we are doing really well players are more likely to want to stay and also we will have a better chance of putting clubs off until the summer, where the player's stock may have risen further.
That is the problem with SISU. They never look to the future. They have always taken the quick buck. Until recently at least.

Mucca Mad Boys

Getting 1m for a player who is shooting you towards promotion is good business?

Our season was over once he was gone.

Top 6 was always a long shot with the deduction? Clarke wanted to go to his childhood team and Wolves were willing to pay over-the-odds for an aging striker.

As for Wilson, £3m was a good price and I'd have sold for that much... I'm sure many of us would have.

I'll happily give you the Maddison transfer, I was pretty livid at that.

wingy

Top 6 was always a long shot with the deduction? Clarke wanted to go to his childhood team and Wolves were willing to pay over-the-odds for an aging striker.

As for Wilson, £3m was a good price and I'd have sold for that much... I'm sure many of us would have.

I'll happily give you the Maddison transfer, I was pretty livid at that.
Yep and Joy didn't fancy pumping £4M in to cover the move.
For all the stick Pressley ended up getting that was a betrayal for his endeavours IMO.

Astute

Yes we have always been a selling club. All clubs sell players. But some are better than others. Those that hold out for a good price either get good money or get to keep the player.

Under SISU we have always sold our goalscorers for not much money even when we have nobody else who can score. Then we don't bring someone in to replace them. But like I said it looks a little different now.

We shall see.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yep and Joy didn't fancy pumping £4M in to cover the move.
For all the stick Pressley ended up getting that was a betrayal for his endeavours IMO.

We were never going to pump £4m back into transfers in the same way MK Dons didn't splash £5m after selling Dele Alli. However, I agree Pressley got an awful hand and the transfer money didn't appear to be put back in, even if it was in the form of wages.

Astute

We were never going to pump £4m back into transfers in the same way MK Dons didn't splash £5m after selling Dele Alli. However, I agree Pressley got an awful hand and the transfer money didn't appear to be put back in, even if it was in the form of wages.
If you get 2m come in through transfers at this level you can bank half of it and bring in decent replacements. You can even improve your squad. Then the players you bring in can gain in value. That is how many clubs survive lower down. But for many years we have sold and then had to bring in youth players without experience. When they get experience we have sold them. Then some wonder why we are normally at the bottom of whatever division we are in.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yes we have always been a selling club. All clubs sell players. But some are better than others. Those that hold out for a good price either get good money or get to keep the player.

Under SISU we have always sold our goalscorers for not much money even when we have nobody else who can score. Then we don't bring someone in to replace them. But like I said it looks a little different now.

We shall see.

In League 1, we had McGoldrick, Clarke, Wilson, Armstrong and Murphy as goal scorers - clearly we did replace them.

It's one thing to sell when you're midtable and unlikely to be successful, and it's another thing to start selling players when you're in contention for success. The only player we sold under Mowbray's 1st full season was Maddison, and as livid as I was about the way that transfer went down, at least we got him back on loan! In Robins' 1st season, we needed to keep McG, Bailey, Moussa and Adams - we kept all bar McG, who went up a league to start.

If we're in the top 7 come January, we won't be selling players - it makes no sense and there isn't a precedent for it, even by SISU pretty low standards!

letsallsingtogether

Can't remember a time we haven't done it as my time as a Coventry City supporter.
That's OK then.
"We have always done it" keep hearing that we'll it hasn't done us any good has it?
Maybe it is time to change.
Why not for a season or 2 sell none of our top players strengthen the side and push for the stars.

Astute

In League 1, we had McGoldrick, Clarke, Wilson, Armstrong and Murphy as goal scorers - clearly we did replace them.

It's one thing to sell when you're midtable and unlikely to be successful, and it's another thing to start selling players when you're in contention for success. The only player we sold under Mowbray's 1st full season was Maddison, and as livid as I was about the way that transfer went down, at least we got him back on loan! In Robins' 1st season, we needed to keep McG, Bailey, Moussa and Adams - we kept all bar McG, who went up a league to start.

If we're in the top 7 come January, we won't be selling players - it makes no sense and there isn't a precedent for it, even by SISU pretty low standards!
Replacing players sold with loans is not the way forward. They are not your players so have no value to you. And they can go back at any time with a lot of deals done.

What you do is give them experience, get them fit or even both. Then you are back to square one. And many don't put full effort in. That is the good thing about this season. We have one loan and are doing well without him. But when fit he will improve us.

Irish Sky Blue

I think there is precedent. Wilson was injured when Clarke was sold and we replaced him with Akpon who had priority over us for Arsenal youth games and the useless, lazy guy from Villa whose name escapes me.
We also sold Jutkiewicz with no immediate replacement before getting Nimbly on loan (who I thought was a good player for us but who I think only scored once as we were relegated).
you've already mentioned Maddison.
I am pretty sure any decisions to sell will be made by Fisher who has demonstrated time and time again his contempt for the club and who is part of Sisu's short termist strategy.
Let's hope that this time they leave we'll alone.

smileycov

Facebook User
If we wait until Jan/Feb to get excited about us, then we have missed an opportunity to celebrate and enjoy what is happening right now. For the first time in about 17 years I have real excitement and faith in the team we have. I can not affect what sisu or anyone will do if anything to affect us. But as we sit, we look good, our squad looks good, the manager is spot on. So I am going to enjoy every second of it while I can...I have bloody waited long enough

clint van damme

If we wait until Jan/Feb to get excited about us, then we have missed an opportunity to celebrate and enjoy what is happening right now. For the first time in about 17 years I have real excitement and faith in the team we have. I can not affect what sisu or anyone will do if anything to affect us. But as we sit, we look good, our squad looks good, the manager is spot on. So I am going to enjoy every second of it while I can...I have bloody waited long enough

weren't you excited by the start we had under Mowbray 2 seasons ago, I know I was and look how that turned out!
I remember in the car on the way to work, must have been at some point in November, uttering the immortal words, "we'll really have to fuck up to finish outside the play offs!".
I'm keeping a lid on it until January, if we haven't had our usual Christmas crash then I'll start to believe.

Liquid Gold

weren't you excited by the start we had under Mowbray 2 seasons ago, I know I was and look how that turned out!
I remember in the car on the way to work, must have been at some point in November, uttering the immortal words, "we'll really have to fuck up to finish outside the play offs!".
I'm keeping a lid on it until January, if we haven't had our usual Christmas crash then I'll start to believe.
I had real excitement 2 years ago and the crash was gutting but if you don't let yourself get excited about a team winning games, keeping clean sheets and not even letting shots on target then what's the point of it all.

Otis

I said exactly the same. It was at the point whereby we were entrenched in the top 6 and were a massive 11 points clear of the team in 6th place.

My exact words were 'surely we can't mess this up now can we?'

Mucca Mad Boys

I think there is precedent. Wilson was injured when Clarke was sold and we replaced him with Akpon who had priority over us for Arsenal youth games and the useless, lazy guy from Villa whose name escapes me.
We also sold Jutkiewicz with no immediate replacement before getting Nimbly on loan (who I thought was a good player for us but who I think only scored once as we were relegated).
you've already mentioned Maddison.
I am pretty sure any decisions to sell will be made by Fisher who has demonstrated time and time again his contempt for the club and who is part of Sisu's short termist strategy.
Let's hope that this time they leave we'll alone.

Both examples you've given are to the contrary of my point. I said there's not really precedent of us selling a key player in the middle of successful season.

Maybe Sisu were inspired by the American concept of 'tanking' a season...

Nick

Administrator
I had real excitement 2 years ago and the crash was gutting but if you don't let yourself get excited about a team winning games, keeping clean sheets and not even letting shots on target then what's the point of it all.

I get excited and enjoy the game, if we play well that game then of course :)

I go into the next game starting again.

I won't get excited about it as a whole and winning the league / promotion until January / February.

clint van damme

can't really argue with that but had so many disappointments that personally, I just want ot keep it on the down low for now.

Otis

I get excited and enjoy the game, if we play well that game then of course :)

I go into the next game starting again.

I won't get excited about it as a whole and winning the league / promotion until January / February.

You wouldn't like sitting next to me then, Nick, cos I'm going to start letting party poppers off every game from around mid November

Irish Sky Blue

Both examples you've given are to the contrary of my point. I said there's not really precedent of us selling a key player in the middle of successful season.

I thought the season we had Clarke and Wilson up front was successful on the pitch (certainly not off it). We had an outside chance of the play offs, Clarke was sold and replaced with inadequate replacements. The only other "successful" season with Sisu that I can think of was under Mowbray when Maddison went.

smileycov

Facebook User

Yea i was, but as i say. Got to enjoy the now. Of course there has been flashes of great things over the years (not many). But overall it has been shite. Even now, i think this time the feeling is more positive, due to the players being ours as opposed to loans. I am not talking about planning promotion parties, just loving the winning feeling, the clean sheets, the players fighting for the shirt and fighting for each other. I don't mind if people are catious or if people get carried away. Support the club how ever you want - me I'm getting carried away ha ha

Astute

You tell me which seasons you count as successful and I will tell you who we sold.

How about when we are struggling so players are sold?

Nick

Administrator
Nobody got sold in January and we got Relegated.

Season before which was close to "successful" Maddison was sold and loaned back.

Astute

Nobody got sold in January and we got Relegated.

Season before which was close to "successful" Maddison was sold and loaned back.
Maddison was a different player once he got his move and was with us temporarily.

Nobody got sold in January. We went on to win at Wembley.

Nick

Administrator
Maddison was a different player once he got his move and was with us temporarily.

Nobody got sold in January. We went on to win at Wembley.

No, he was pretty much the same player it's just that people weren't as blinded by him as before.

Astute

No, he was pretty much the same player it's just that people weren't as blinded by him as before.
He was useless after his move. He didn't even deserve a place in the team. If he played as crap as that before nobody would have been interested in him.

Users who are viewing this thread