Morris Dancing Meets The Black and White Mintrels (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Nick

Administrator
Isn't it traditional?

Never seen the issue with it unless they are doing it to purposely be racist and offensive with it, put White Chicks on and chill out.

Grendel

Isn't it traditional?

Never seen the issue with it unless they are doing it to purposely be racist and offensive with it, put White Chicks on and chill out.

Yes the black faces were because such dancing was illegal at the time and so people could not see their faces. Caused outrage in the Bull ring - nonsense I think

shmmeee

Doesn't this story pop up every January?

I saw someone posting a pic of Cameron with them from 2014 as if it was news the other day.

Like false rape claims, I despise false claims of racism as it lessens the impact of actual racism claims.

wingy

Over reaction isn't it?
Certain zealots claim unless you're from the "pertinent culture ",you should not be able, "Allowed ",to imitate, going even further be unable to represent, relay through art and literature.
Go figure.

shmmeee

Over reaction isn't it?
Certain zealots claim unless you're from the "pertinent culture ",you should not be able, "Allowed ",to imitate, going even further be unable to represent, relay through art and literature.
Go figure.

"Cultural appropriation" they call it. Complete nonsense and never from the actual supposedly offended group.

dutchman

Whichever Brummies were offended by black faces don't ever want to visit Holland at Christmas!
black-pete-dutch-600x398.jpg

By the way, a lot of Dutch people find this offensive too even though it's a centuries-old tradition.

hill83

Zwarte Piet.
I've got family who are Dutch. I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I first saw it. They didn't bat an eyelid. They are black themselves for context.

Otis

Zwarte Piet.
I've got family who are Dutch. I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I first saw it. They didn't bat an eyelid. They are black themselves for context.
Just for context and not in reality then?

shmmeee

Stop me if I'm wrong but isn't a large issue with blackface that it came from the very racist black and white minstrel shows as much as the black face itself?

shmmeee

Wouldn't the Morris dancing shiz have come before the minstrel show shiz?

Yes it would.

But nuance went a long time ago. Everyone's a racist or a liberal snowflake, an evil Tory or a stupid lefty, good or bad.

Gazolba

I've always been a big fan of Morris dancing as a form of dance that traditionally was performed exclusively by men.
However, I now see that there are female Morris dance troupes springing up. They just can't let us have anything to ourselves, can they?

Gazolba

Stop me if I'm wrong but isn't a large issue with blackface that it came from the very racist black and white minstrel shows as much as the black face itself?
Blackface - Wikipedia

"From 1723-1823, it was a criminal offence to blacken one's face in some circumstances, with a punishment of death. The Black Act was passed at a time of economic downturn that led to heightened social tensions, and in response to a series of raids by two groups of poachers who blackened their faces to prevent identification."

shmmeee

Blackface - Wikipedia

"From 1723-1823, it was a criminal offence to blacken one's face in some circumstances, with a punishment of death. The Black Act was passed at a time of economic downturn that led to heightened social tensions, and in response to a series of raids by two groups of poachers who blackened their faces to prevent identification."

Not quite relevant to today's outrage though is it? More a historical curiosity.

Covstu

It's bollocks, we were in brum when they were on and everyone of all cultures were enjoying them. Someone always has to be outraged against something

Gazolba

They miss the point that the Morris is supposed to be a 'sissy dance', originally performed by off-duty soldiers to amuse themselves.
Where on earth did you get that from? Morris dancing (originally 'Moorish dancing') has existed since at least the 15th century and has nothing to do with 'off-duty soldiers'.

dutchman

Where on earth did you get that from? Morris dancing (originally 'Moorish dancing') has existed since at least the 15th century and has nothing to do with 'off-duty soldiers'.

It was originally performed with swords rather than sticks or handkerchiefs and there weren't too many civilians with swords at the time.

Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia, there is no proof of any connection between Moorish dancing and Morris dancing.

Users who are viewing this thread