Leaving 2 players up on Corners etc (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Liked the tactic of leaving Reid and Jones up front when we had corners, it meant they had to keep 3 back and it also gives the option of a quick counter attack.

It's pointless them being in the box, so worked well actually thinking and leaving them up.

Nick

Administrator
If we had a goalie (I think Murphy had a decent throw) who could have collected the ball from a corner and then a quick throw we would have been dangerous.

Burge did try a couple of times but it instantly took the pressure off our defence.

Irish Sky Blue

I have always hated the everyone back at corners tactic. The amount we have conceded from corners this season shows it hasn't helped. Today we actually had a couple of quick breaks due to having players on the half way line.

Ricketts

Loved this. Also signals before the corner gave the Impression that we had practiced something and were organised.

Closest to scoring from a corner for years.

Loved the low cross into the box.

Finally look like we have a plan, and not playing like under 12s, just seeing what will happen.

Realised what we have been missing

PUSB. 7 more of these and its 'game on'

Terry Gibson's perm

Why stop at two I am sure that a few years ago a Warnock team left 3 or more up.

It is about time what benefit are Reid and jones when defending corners.

Nick

Administrator
Loved this. Also signals before the corner gave the Impression that we had practiced something and were organised.

Closest to scoring from a corner for years.

Loved the low cross into the box.

Finally look like we have a plan, and not playing like under 12s, just seeing what will happen.

Realised what we have been missing

PUSB. 7 more of these and its 'game on'
Yes, the driven corner where a striker steps out and shoots will work one day

Sbarcher

Also like on our corners to have second man by the taker. Pulls two defenders over to the side and creates more space in the box.

Mcbean

Armstrong was always on the half way line - ready to speed goalwards made so much sense - could'nt work out why Thomas was never left there as for defending he never stood a chance but today far more sense - also focuses the defenders on their players and not running into ours

Marty

Robins did it last time he was here too. Always had Moussa and Baker almost standing off the pitch on the half way line.

Liquid Gold

Can a player be offside when not on the field of play? For example at a corner the attacker could be in the opposition team's half but off the sideline. Then when the keep claims the ball he can boot it upheld and the attacker then comes back on field to collect the ball?

Marty

Pritty sure it's not allowed as we'd see teams doing it. Suppose it would come down to being active as soon as he re enters the play in an offside position. Although i seem to remember Crespo doing something very similar for Chelsea and scoring an absolute beauty.

chiefdave

Can a player be offside when not on the field of play? For example at a corner the attacker could be in the opposition team's half but off the sideline. Then when the keep claims the ball he can boot it upheld and the attacker then comes back on field to collect the ball?
You're not allowed to deliberately leave the field without the refs permission. Obviously if someone goes down injured and their momentum takes them off thats not considered deliberate.

If its a defender who is off the pitch they're considered to be on the line for any offside decisions, presume a forward would be the same.

trevelfarandwide

Robins clearly has a variety of tactical options, and he seems to utilise players correctly. Makes a refreshing change, to have a solid tactician at the helm.

ccfcrob

I
Liked the tactic of leaving Reid and Jones up front when we had corners, it meant they had to keep 3 back and it also gives the option of a quick counter attack.

It's pointless them being in the box, so worked well actually thinking and leaving them up.
I'm so glad somebody else spotted this. I was jumping for joy when I realised we didn't have 11 men in our own box

Warwickhunt

I

I'm so glad somebody else spotted this. I was jumping for joy when I realised we didn't have 11 men in our own box
Less bodies in our box means more space for our defenders to attack the ball

better days

It's a mad fashion in British football to leave no one up which every team seems to have copied. The Emporers New Clothes as far as I'm concerned
If a few teams are brave enough to do what Robins is doing at top level expect fashions to change again

Skybluefaz

Pritty sure it's not allowed as we'd see teams doing it. Suppose it would come down to being active as soon as he re enters the play in an offside position. Although i seem to remember Crespo doing something very similar for Chelsea and scoring an absolute beauty.
Yes, which is why there was the discussion about allowing the Dublin goal to stand against Newcastle when Shay Given forgot to check his rear view mirror. Great scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread