Interesting take on the reality of the promised land (1 Viewer)

Skyblue Bangkok

One of my favourite football memories. Stood in the West Terrace after they've taken the lead. It goes really quiet. One bloke just loses his mind, screams:

"We're losing at home to f*cking Grimsby!"
I thought can it get any worse ,well it did lol.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

I remember the drive to and from Stockport, thinking how great it would be having a season where we could go to games expecting to win. Just didn’t realise what a financial mess we were in.
Sometimes wish we had done a Leicester, but then my morales kick in. (Thanks so much mum and dad). And so although it cost us a bounce back, the fire sale was the right thing to do. Should not put other hard working people’s businesses at risk because we **** up.
I’m so pleased you had the same moral compass as Wasps

skybluericoh

I’m so pleased you had the same moral compass as Wasps
? I think WASPS were awful, especially the ‘investment opportunity’ they offered. Another lesson from my parents, if it sounds too good to be true…. I feel for the poor souls who put their hard earned cash into their club.
That said, if SISU had not been so busy battering people in court and did the morale thing they would have brought the arena for a very fair price and WASPS would have never been around.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

? I think WASPS were awful, especially the ‘investment opportunity’ they offered. Another lesson from my parents, if it sounds too good to be true…. I feel for the poor souls who put their hard earned cash into their club.
That said, if SISU had not been so busy battering people in court and did the morale thing they would have brought the arena for a very fair price and WASPS would have never been around.
I was actually comparing you with them sorry if you didn’t realise

AOM

Agree, next time they try to go, let them.

It's definitely going to happen again at some point as well. Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus are still opted in!
I think the only people who would lose out if it happened would be the local based fans of the clubs involved, but the owners have already shown they don't care.
Some of the Spanish and Italian cup finals have recently been played in the Middle East as well. Imagine beating Man United on Sunday and then having a final in Qatar...

Brighton Sky Blue

One of my favourite football memories. Stood in the West Terrace after they've taken the lead. It goes really quiet. One bloke just loses his mind, screams:

"We're losing at home to f*cking Grimsby!"
Mine was something shouted at Gary Borrowdale:

‘You’re a useless pillock Borrowdale! That’s your name now! PILLOCK!’

Tomh111

It's definitely going to happen again at some point as well. Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus are still opted in!
I think the only people who would lose out if it happened would be the local based fans of the clubs involved, but the owners have already shown they don't care.
Some of the Spanish and Italian cup finals have recently been played in the Middle East as well. Imagine beating Man United on Sunday and then having a final in Qatar...
After Sunday, I'd be happy for them to fuck off.

People don't believe me when I say I don't want premier league football, but the side effects of it are awful.

The disparity in funds, the tourist fans, the soulless clubs and dubious morals. The money for 1 season to help set rhe club up would be nice, but as a constant to just spend time scrapping for mid-table and hoping that you don't end up financially ruined trying to compete - no thanks.

The best thing for English football would be that the super league happens and takes away the top clubs, that way the Arab and Yank money can go and do what they want with their play things and we as a country can go back to a more sustainable and fan led competition.

It would take decades to sort out, but the interest and money would slowly slip away from abroad as the prize money on offer locally would dip below the new super league.

I also think a huge amount of domestic 'fans' would move too, the majority of big 6 fans from outside their traditional catchment are not fans of the team based on connection, they're fans because they like winning. I would feel sorry for the United fans from Manchester and the Arsenal fans from North London etc but the majority would grumble, moan and feign outrage and then cream their pants when they signed Neymar for £300 million.

It would also need some government reform, to mandate some form of fan representation on all club and league boards. With a likely Labour victory at the next election, that may be more achievable - I don't think any conservative government would want to interfere in a 'free market' activity.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

shmmeee

People don't believe me when I say I don't want premier league football, but the side effects of it are awful.

The disparity in funds, the tourist fans, the soulless clubs and dubious morals. The money for 1 season to help set rhe club up would be nice, but as a constant to just spend time scrapping for mid-table and hoping that you don't end up financially ruined trying to compete - no thanks.

The best thing for English football would be that the super league happens and takes away the top clubs, that way the Arab and Yank money can go and do what they want with their play things and we as a country can go back to a more sustainable and fan led competition.

It would take decades to sort out, but the interest and money would slowly slip away from abroad as the prize money on offer locally would dip below the new super league.

I also think a huge amount of domestic 'fans' would move too, the majority of big 6 fans from outside their traditional catchment are not fans of the team based on connection, they're fans because they like winning. I would feel sorry for the United fans from Manchester and the Arsenal fans from North London etc but the majority would grumble, moan and feign outrage and then cream their pants when they signed Neymar for £300 million.

It would also need some government reform, to mandate some form of fan representation on all club and league boards. With a likely Labour victory at the next election, that may be more achievable - I don't think any conservative government would want to interfere in a 'free market' activity.

To be fair the football governance bill is coming in under a Tory govt. which is a good step.

AOM

Yeah, I was initially relieved the Super League crashed and burned, but if it rears it's head again, the top 4 clubs in this country can go.
Would be genuinely interested to see if fans in other countries like Spain and Italy also feel the same about losing the same old teams who constantly win each year.

I'd imagine we'd all see a massive drop off in international TV rights money, but couldn't care less if it results in a fairer game

skybluericoh

By losing all the cash, well a fair chunk, Ex pros would becoming window cleaners, car salesmen and landlords?
In all seriousness, they would still earn a decent amount, might not be able to buy 200 grand plus motors etc but would have a decent lifestyle.
But while the current set up is here we will still be seeing players moving to a PL club just for £££ not for wanting to play and enjoyment

ProfessorbyGrace

We lost 1-0 at home to Grimsby the week after.

Then people got cross.
Yup. That was when Wee Gordon decided to walk, if I remember rightly.

That first season after relegation was so erratic - we’d hammer some teams, then lose a few, win a few hard fought games, then lose at home to a shit team and end up losing three or four in a row, then rinse and repeat.

No wonder we finished 11th, it was mental.

Flying Fokker

This is where I’m starting to get to aswell, fuck the teams off to the European super league and they can have there tv big bucks!

Leave the real football to us and bring back the Saturday games.
Back to League 1 for the Saturday games. I agree, For me, the league structure needs to change. If we are to feed the Premier League with 3 ‘new’ clubs, they need to change.

In the past I posted about many fans being consumers of football. They make choices. The Prem will be enough to keep us going, but how many fans have been on our journey? We won’t get that in the Prem.

Sick Boy

You are describing me to a tee here. At Stockport County, our first league game after relegation I remember thinking this would be a fun season. A chance to clear out and rebuild. It's been almost a quarter of a century since that day 🤣 .
I remember it well - "we're all going on a Nationwide tour".

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Great post. Totally agree. The supporters of the big 6 ( which club is number 6 ?) are only concerned because they've cornered the domestic market. Nothing else. They're a very big fish in a big pond : comfortable, superior, arrogant beyond belief.
The rest of us couldn't really care less. I wouldn't miss them and to be honest a few years in the top half of the championship is far better than being chicken feed for the corporate crap of the global branded big 6. They can go off and play Barcelona and Inter while I concentrate on proper football.

Users who are viewing this thread