Match Thread Grimsby Town - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 12th Aug (1 Viewer)

steve82

We were much better second half. Kelly is a superb player and dominated the game. To restrict the opposition to no shots on target or even within our area is very promising indeed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I agree, I think Kelly came out the better of him and Doyle on performance levels.

I ideal partnership there, hopefully if ones not quite on song the other steps up.

Thankfully dembele didn't have quite the impact in the second half which gave us less problems to worry about. Tricky little begger he was.

Irish Sky Blue

Anyone seen footage of the 'stonewall' Vincenti penalty incident?

If so, does it confirm everyone's first impression?
It happened right in front of the away end so most City fans there had a really clear view. It was a stonewall penalty. The ball was in front of Vincenti who had a clear sight for a shot on goal and would almost certainly have scored. As he went to strike the ball a Grimsby defender put his foot between Vincenti's foot and the ball. Vincenti therefore kicked the defender's foot and went over. I was certain the referee would give the pen as he was right on the spot. I couldn't believe it when he waved play on. If there was an injustice with the first goal (and I don't think there was), his decision to allow it only made up for the terrible decision with the penalty.

steve82

It happened right in front of the away end so most City fans there had a really clear view. It was a stonewall penalty. The ball was in front of Vincenti who had a clear sight for a shot on goal and would almost certainly have scored. As he went to strike the ball a Grimsby defender put his foot between Vincenti's foot and the ball. Vincenti therefore kicked the defender's foot and went over. I was certain the referee would give the pen as he was right on the spot. I couldn't believe it when he waved play on. If there was an injustice with the first goal (and I don't think there was), his decision to allow it only made up for the terrible decision with the penalty.

Was clear as day, he was stopped from striking the ball. I think we let the ref know our feelings at the time very well.

Esoterica

Was clear as day, he was stopped from striking the ball. I think we let the ref know our feelings at the time very well.
Absolutely nailed on pen. Thought McNulty was lucky not to get booked the way he ran after the ref and grabbed him while play was still going on.

Esoterica

We were much better second half. Kelly is a superb player and dominated the game. To restrict the opposition to no shots on target or even within our area is very promising indeed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I love Kelly. An amazing wingman for Doyle. Although we dominated that game thought they still had 2 or 3 chances where they shouldn't just have hit the target but actually scored.

Otis

I love Kelly. An amazing wingman for Doyle. Although we dominated that game thought they still had 2 or 3 chances where they shouldn't just have hit the target but actually scored.
Think Kelly and McDonald are going to become firm fans favourites.

I already like the actress. ;)

Astute

If they hit the target they still have to beat O'Brien :smuggrin:

It just shows the difference on skill level in Division 4. We have only had Dembele trouble us so far. And they didn't have anyone else good enough to help him. They were reduced to hitting high balls to a midget. I would be happy to have the same every week.

steve82

If they hit the target they still have to beat O'Brien :smuggrin:

It just shows the difference on skill level in Division 4. We have only had Dembele trouble us so far. And they didn't have anyone else good enough to help him. They were reduced to hitting high balls to a midget. I would be happy to have the same every week.

I thought dembele and the more physical Harry Cardwell were quite effective in the football first half and really should of scored, thankfully it trickled past the post.

Second half they weren't in it as we stopped lumping the Ball over the top and passed the ball around better playing our game rather than the "tennis" first half.

Beavon and McNulty seem more ball to feet type players yet we didn't play that way in the first half and gave them nothing to feed of.

Users who are viewing this thread