GMK (1 Viewer)

Bumberclart

Not going to name names, but this individual took some personal insults too seriously and let it impact the way he administered the board.
Those of us with thicker skins were alright though.

Otis

Not going to name names, but this individual took some personal insults too seriously and let it impact the way he administered the board.
Those of us with thicker skins were alright though.
Sb7jon was an admin wasn't he. Dunney too. Can't remember past them.

Bumberclart

Sb7jon was an admin wasn't he. Dunney too. Can't remember past them.

Correct, along with Knowl and myself.

Neville ran it before Smiler and Knowl, but I think he got fed up with the hassle

Otis

Absolutely!
It was definitely dog eat dog on GMK.
Its weird because I've met a few GMKers over the years, and most of them are very reasonable, respectable people. i.e. nothing like you'd imagine!
Yes, one day I Intend to introduce my alter ego to myself.

rob9872

Never used GMK - my route was initially L.A.S.T. then the Telegraph site and finally here.

clint van damme

as much as GMK was a great laugh it may have been a different animal if the club was in the state it is now, (not that it was in a great state 15 years ago!)

NorthernWisdom

as much as GMK was a great laugh it may have been a different animal if the club was in the state it is now, (not that it was in a great state 15 years ago!)

Hmm I dunno. At the time, the Robinson/McGinnity reigns seemed every bit as awful as now. Endless arguments with Rob87 and co... just they were interspersed with the chaos. Worked best when it was all on one board so you'd have a desperately serious political thread, a football thread, and some random shite from fred_scuttle!

(As an aside, I remember the genuine feeling of despair when I bought a new version of football manager and on the board page it said 'Geoffrey Robinson will never leave the club he loves')

And of course Nev did get sued by McGinnity, even though they backed out in the end...

Let's just hope in a decade's time we're not looking back to SISU's reign and seeing it as the good times, eh!!

clint van damme

Hmm I dunno. At the time, the Robinson/McGinnity reigns seemed every bit as awful as now. Endless arguments with Rob87 and co... just they were interspersed with the chaos. Worked best when it was all on one board so you'd have a desperately serious political thread, a football thread, and some random shite from fred_scuttle!

(As an aside, I remember the genuine feeling of despair when I bought a new version of football manager and on the board page it said 'Geoffrey Robinson will never leave the club he loves')

And of course Nev did get sued by McGinnity, even though they backed out in the end...

Let's just hope in a decade's time we're not looking back to SISU's reign and seeing it as the good times, eh!!

the frightening thing about City is that I wouldn't rule out that scenario - whenever you think it can't get worse, it does!!

Ring Of Steel

Every moment on GMK was a classic

Manbat being threatened daily was a great source of pleasure

rob87 was a sick genius

Harrogate had a drink problem

Ring Of Steel

Manbat I see you started this thread

I am calling you out, I knock about with Marvellous Marvin and he hasn't forgotten that bird you insulted in town

Esoterica

Every moment on GMK was a classic

Manbat being threatened daily was a great source of pleasure

rob87 was a sick genius

Harrogate had a drink problem
I played centre midfield with Harrogate against the Hull rivals team. Can confirm his drink problem, never had to run so much in my life!!

Last edited:

Mcbean

I was also on GMK and Last just getting my colours - Hackney baiting was a good sport - but he maybe had the last laugh for a bit !

Travs

Fantastic website. Sorry to say so on this forum, but it was far far superior, in the peak rivals days I lost weeks on end at work, laughing my head off.

Sadly became renowned (somewhat unjustly) as a haven of "sisu apologists" which I think killed it off in a bigger way than any admin issues etc. I think people over there were just more inclined to look at thinks with a balanced view, rather than just black or white.

I always thought that the people on GMK were a bit more balanced and had a life outside of ccfc, and by the personal nature of a lot of the threads, that was justified. I always get the impression on here that there are a lot of people who seem to have nothing other than arguing about sisu/wasps/attendances/baker... I spent a good proportion of a season standing in close contact with a lot of the gmk stalwarts at Sixfields (for my sins) and that backed up my feelings that behind the abuse and discussions about crisps, it was a friendly site populated by an unfortunately decreasing number of great city fans...

Esoterica

Fantastic website. Sorry to say so on this forum, but it was far far superior, in the peak rivals days I lost weeks on end at work, laughing my head off.

Sadly became renowned (somewhat unjustly) as a haven of "sisu apologists" which I think killed it off in a bigger way than any admin issues etc. I think people over there were just more inclined to look at thinks with a balanced view, rather than just black or white.

I always thought that the people on GMK were a bit more balanced and had a life outside of ccfc, and by the personal nature of a lot of the threads, that was justified. I always get the impression on here that there are a lot of people who seem to have nothing other than arguing about sisu/wasps/attendances/baker... I spent a good proportion of a season standing in close contact with a lot of the gmk stalwarts at Sixfields (for my sins) and that backed up my feelings that behind the abuse and discussions about crisps, it was a friendly site populated by an unfortunately decreasing number of great city fans...
I think that's an excellent summary Travs and most of the balanced opinion on here now is from ex-GMKers. I do miss it, whiled away hours at work on it. I think part of the problem is that the politics has been so prominent for so long now that a) many people have lost interest in the team, nevermind contributing daily to a forum about it and b) those that are left are so entrenched after X amount of SISU years that all the fun is sapped out of people. You just don't get threads like we used to over there and I think there's about 3 posters that make me laugh out loud. If it was up to me I'd merge at least the off topic forum back into the main CCFC one, it doesn't feel like enough people go there to see the threads and so things never reach those truly bonkers levels.

Otis

I think the main problem for me on GMK was that posters had multiple identities on there and they could either gang up on you or just keep agreeing with themselves through multiple personalities.

It was great at one point but then got rather nasty and spiteful, very, very clique ridden and incredibly patronising for anyone who wasn't quite the intelligentsia. The admins got all kinds of shit.

I just walked away calmly into the night. Didn't have a melt, didn't announce my departure, just stopped posting.

Shame, it was great at one point.

Mcbean

Toby fair - I still laugh out loud on here as I did on gmk - Eastwood dustman I still crack a smile at your handle - the gypsy thread was hilarious at the time

NorthernWisdom

I think the main problem for me on GMK was that posters had multiple identities on there and they could either gang up on you or just keep agreeing with themselves through multiple personalities.

It was great at one point but then got rather nasty and spiteful, very, very clique ridden and incredibly patronising for anyone who wasn't quite the intelligentsia. The admins got all kinds of shit.

I just walked away calmly into the night. Didn't have a melt, didn't announce my departure, just stopped posting.

Shame, it was great at one point.
See I liked the multiple IDs, meant you were never quite sure if it was someone just arguing with themselves!

Stopped it all getting too serious, reminded you it's just an online world with ridiculous pseudonyms.

Otis

See I liked the multiple IDs, meant you were never quite sure if it was someone just arguing with themselves!

Stopped it all getting too serious, reminded you it's just an online world with ridiculous pseudonyms.
Well, yeah, but there were always multiple personalities. Used to work fine. That wasn't the problem when it used to be used for some very funny threads, the problem though was when people suddenly started using the multiple personalities for ill use and spiteful, patronising means.

Otis

Can't remember. It was revealed at some point, but I can't recall.

Alan was funny, as were many of the multiple personalities.

clint van damme

Yeah, true. Think I did it once and that was only for about 5 posts. I was Fibre Optic Jesus. Some did it religiously though. Seemed like an awful lot of hassle to keep switching accounts.

surely if you had jesus in your multis user name then you also did it religiously?!

Sky_Blue_Daz

Enjoyed GMK some of killer rumbles rants were fantastic

The lucky lad thread was a highlight, if I remember correctly he was police officer on duty at his branch doing a question and answer session

Users who are viewing this thread