Everton in transfer tussle with Newcastle United for teenage striker Bassala Sambou (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueGuy

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-transfer-tussle-newcastle-united-11186920

"Everton want to sign Coventry City youngster next season after he rejected offer from League One side

Everton face a fight with Newcastle United to sign teenage striker Bassala Sambou.

The 18-year-old has caught the eye of the Blues after hitting 25 goals for Coventry City’s youth teams this season.

Sambou has rejected the chances to sign professional terms with the League One side and is set on a move up the league ladder.

Everton are very keen on the young forward but have competition from Newcastle United.

Should he decide to join the Blues in the summer then Coventry would be due compensation.

If an agreement could not be reached between Everton and the League One side then the matter would go to a tribunal.

Coventry, disappointed that Sambou has turned down their contract offer, will seek a sizeable fee for a player who has been with them since the age of 11.

Everton’s chief scout Kevin Reeves has been to watch Bassala but Roberto Martinez is yet to have seen the teenage striker in the flesh, it is understood.

Should the Blues land Sambou then he would join up with the under-21s squad for next season.

Coventry boss Tony Mowbray, who has promised the teenager first-team involvement next season, said: “They have taken up that option not to sign after we made a pretty good offer beyond what we might have offered normal scholars. He’s a young boy with huge potential and yet they want to go down another route.”"

Last edited:

mrtrench

That's good news I guess given that he's determined to go - should push up the compensation.

SkyBlueZack

Newcastle? Because they have such a great record of giving 18 year old strikers a run in the first team?

Ahhh but they pay top dollar. All it's about. Should of got his head down, done well in pre-season and with bit of luck started the season. Score goals between now and Jan and those teams interested still will be. It's as if he signed a contract with CCFC he would be here forever. Which would only be the case if he wasn't performing, would fit in well here then ;)

Nick

Administrator
Look at what Newcastle did for bigi, he has pretty much sat on his arse for a few years and become a millionaire!

JimmyHillsbeard

Ahhh but they pay top dollar. All it's about. Should of got his head down, done well in pre-season and with bit of luck started the season. Score goals between now and Jan and those teams interested still will be. It's as if he signed a contract with CCFC he would be here forever. Which would only be the case if he wasn't performing, would fit in well here then ;)

If Mowbray is to be believed Samb's advisers are upset that he hasn't broken into our first team, his path being blocked by our selection of 'strikers' and Adam Armstrong. If he goes to Newcastle - and the Bigi reference is also useful - his path to development will be impeded by their strikers which of course includes Adam Armstrong.

SkyBlueZack

I hope he goes there then. Four goals in the under 21's is hardly setting the world alight. Although I think STP said he has only got 2, may be wrong though. George Thomas has scored more I think. He hasn't gone all big time Charlie.

Moff

If he goes to Newcastle it just shows how badly advised he is.

He cant get in our first team due to a Armstrong, loan player from them that is playing for us. Armstrong has proved his ability to score goals in league one, and yet hasnt really had a sniff of the Newcastle first team. Where does that put Sambou in their pecking order.

Newcastle also signed Bigi, he doesnt get a sniff after afew games in his first year, cant even get in our team, and his confidence is shot. Still he has a getter bank balance if that is what Sambou is after.

If he chooses Newcastle he and his advisors are muppets.

hill83

thpLVBE.gif

torchomatic

Yeah, non story really. Player doesn't want to stop, so let him leave.

ajsccfc

If he's being told that he's got a chance of the first team football he craves next season and still decides to go elsewhere, leave him there.

No Way Back

If he's being told that he's got a chance of the first team football he craves next season and still decides to go elsewhere, leave him there.

I agree & if he goes to a proper club like Everton and be learning the game around some top players who can blame the lad.

skybluegod

But TM says he wants yo give him 1st team opportunities next season so only loan if going to play.

He said he would have the chance in pre-season to press his claims for the first team and if he did well, he could keep the shirt. He wouldn't be worth getting back on loan, will be much better strikers at top academies available and hopefully to us.

RegTheDonk

But TM says he wants yo give him 1st team opportunities next season so only loan if going to play.

Well the lad and his agent will have to have a big think if he wants to actually play football - I believe from next season the loan system will mean you can't just pop off and play a few games, you have to go on loan for at least half a season, if not a full one. Apologies if thats not right, but if it is, then this lad will probably either be playing for a club like us or cooling sitting on his arse on a Saturday with the toon or the toffies. I guess either way he'll be on decent money.

Last edited:

Gint11

As Rihanna said, Sambous off to work work work work work work for wait for it...a lot more £££ a week. Don't blame him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stupot07

Is it based on EPPP? If so probably around £100k when he gets an england cap.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

wingy

Careful on this thread lads
Don't know what I just hit as scrolling through but picked up a window asking do I give a fuck, then it runs a bar, something like turning the Volume up on a TV, to convey the message Fuck not given, on Each attempt to cancel it multiplies it. :punch:

mark82

Think he'd have done well for us next year. Bit of a shame in that respect for us but also think his development would be better served playing first team football.

King of the Lesbians

Careful on this thread lads
Don't know what I just hit as scrolling through but picked up a window asking do I give a fuck, then it runs a bar, something like turning the Volume up on a TV, to convey the message Fuck not given, on Each attempt to cancel it multiplies it. :punch:
I think you may have picked up hill83 malware.
You need to burn your computer immediately...

higgs

He should have given us one season to make his mark in the first team can't see him break into Everton first team

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

vow

I was under the impression that compensation is now a fixed price for things like this, according to how long they have been developed, trained by the club etc.?
Or hasn't that come into effect yet?

Shakeitup

Would have been nice for him to stay and develop. Young guys like this shouldn't have advisors or agents! They should have parents and families that do that.

Call me bitter and twisted and a cantankerous old sod but I wish him all the best. Break a leg. Oh, wrong career, still...

shelby76

Way it's going at academy with this wasps shit, can't blame him, at least we will get 100-300k?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread