England u21s (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

Jacob murphy just helped put them in semis. Yo thibk sum delusional gans did not rate him haha

Hooefully we can build on the u20 world cup won by taking this one home too.

CovBurty

yes. good to see him progressing well. he get into good forward positions and is still scoring at higher levels. I did hear some City fans moaning about his working back and defensive skills, but the guy is a forward. how many times did Armstrong tackle and work back ? Quality player.

Nick

Administrator
It wasn't so much working back, a few times he lost the ball and stood there rather than track back a bit.

Armstrong surprisingly did track back quite well, I remember he scored a decent goal from tackling somebody out wide and winning the ball back.

Not many said he was awful, just that when he wasn't in the game he really wasn't in the game but when he was he could boss it.

CovBurty

there was times when Murphy looked as though he couldn't be arsed, and his control was not the best. but if he was with us last season we'd still be in L1

ajsccfc

I don't think he was ever lazy, just a young player still finding his feet and so would have a tendency to drift out of games along with his confidence. If he already had the consistency he's working towards, we wouldn't have got a sniff of loaning him in the first place really.

pastythegreat

yes. good to see him progressing well. he get into good forward positions and is still scoring at higher levels. I did hear some City fans moaning about his working back and defensive skills, but the guy is a forward. how many times did Armstrong tackle and work back ? Quality player.
Comparing Armstrong to Murphy?
That's not even a comparison! Armas job wasn't to track back and defend, he was a lone striker in an attacking formation. Murphy is a winger whose job is to get forward and make goals and defend/cover/help his full back when defending!
I don't think for a minute that anybody doubted his ability when he had the ball! At times he was unplayable. It was when we didn't have the ball and he couldn't be bothered to track back, couldn't win a 50/50 with himself! The times we were losing and he'd go missing for games at a time! That's what people were critical about!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

steve82

It wasn't so much working back, a few times he lost the ball and stood there rather than track back a bit.

Armstrong surprisingly did track back quite well, I remember he scored a decent goal from tackling somebody out wide and winning the ball back.

Not many said he was awful, just that when he wasn't in the game he really wasn't in the game but when he was he could boss it.

Was this the AA goal? V Crewe in the demolition? One of Murphy's better games this.

From my point of view his body language was lazy not entirely his work rate. He wanted to attack, and that's what we needed him for. His ability to carry the ball and run at defences... tho he did loose his confidence for a long spell near enough after this game as did most of the young lads in the team when thing wasn't going right.

People need to remember these were young lads away from home, family's and the comforts of there academies for the first time. It was never gonna last a season. There too young to keep the consistency, that's why they were here on loan... learning.

I think Ryan Kent added a lot more to us also than people appreciated, yes his final ball wasn't there but the danger of him running at defences was enough to open pockets of space and he cased chaos.
Now he's linked with Bournemouth for 6 million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Im sure there was one like that where Armstrong was sort of by the keeper but ran back out wide. I might be imagining it :(

CovBurty

That's not even a comparison! Armas job wasn't to track back and defend, he was a lone striker in an attacking formation. Murphy is a winger whose job is to get forward and make goals and defend/cover/help his full back when defending!
I don't think for a minute that anybody doubted his ability when he had the ball! At times he was unplayable. It was when we didn't have the ball and he couldn't be bothered to track back, couldn't win a 50/50 with himself! The times we were losing and he'd go missing for games at a time! That's what people were critical about!

Agree. You notice his weakness and fans highlighted it. He wanted encouragement not the moans. I still think he is quality in the making.

CovBurty

Not comparing at all. Just I loved Armstrong and what he gave us, same as Murphy. That hope that lifted those players, first half of season, shame we all turned into moaners again !

Nick

Administrator
Agree. You notice his weakness and fans highlighted it. He wanted encouragement not the moans. I still think he is quality in the making.

I never boo'd him or stood up and shouting abuse, I just pointed out in comments about the match and player ratings etc.

Don't agree with fans when he was on the sideline and they stand up and shout stuff, what's the point in that?

I still remember when he missed a penalty and a bloke near me shouting "fucking SISU" and was being deadly serious.

stupot07

Always liked Murphy, it was Kent that frustrated me, not enough end product for thr talent he posessed. But tbf we did miss his directness when he left, albeit we had already started on the poor run when he was still here.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

CovBurty

I never boo'd him or stood up and shouting abuse, I just pointed out in comments about the match and player ratings etc.

Don't agree with fans when he was on the sideline and they stand up and shout stuff, what's the point in that?

I still remember when he missed a penalty and a bloke near me shouting "fucking SISU" and was being deadly serious.
Us Cov fans can be a bit moany a times.
Murphy did frustrate tho.
So then the loonies come out.
To vent their lager.
So Murphy scored next game.
Nice.

CovBurty

Always liked Murphy, it was Kent that frustrated me, not enough end product for thr talent he posessed. But tbf we did miss his directness when he left, albeit we had already started on the poor run when he was still here.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Kent had pace to use. He could've taken ball into box more imo. But he was useful player. Not sure we got the best out of him.

Nick

Administrator
Again Kent is hopefully one that will be coached with that going forward, nothing more frustrating than tricks and stepovers to get to the byline and it go out for a goalkick or be blocked.

He was a bit like Reid in the fact that it would take the pressure off the defence a bit simply by legging it down the pitch with the ball. Reid does that well sometimes too.

CovBurty

Again Kent is hopefully one that will be coached with that going forward, nothing more frustrating than tricks and stepovers to get to the byline and it go out for a goalkick or be blocked.

He was a bit like Reid in the fact that it would take the pressure off the defence a bit simply by legging it down the pitch with the ball. Reid does that well sometimes too.
Yes, they need to learn to get their heads up more often, difficult for some. I liked the threat Kent gave us. We did miss him when he went back. Good luck to him for the future.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Jacob murphy just helped put them in semis. Yo thibk sum delusional gans did not rate him haha

Hooefully we can build on the u20 world cup won by taking this one home too.

If Murphy would have broken his leg at Christmas we would have finished in the playoffs at least.

I wish we could re run that season again with that changed variable.

covcity4life

anyway back on topic with likes od gray,redmond and murphy we have some real pace and trickery in the team. maybe we should player counter vs the good possession teams like spain? excited for the semi final

CovBurty

If Murphy would have broken his leg at Christmas we would have finished in the playoffs at least.

I wish we could re run that season again with that changed variable.
bit harsh. others were struggling after Xmas. not nice wishing a broken leg. last season we could've done with a few 'breaks' imo

SkyBlue_Bear83

Some people probably went over the top in there reactions but there was definitely reason as to why murphy was heavily criticised more so than others.

Otis

Germany, grrrr! ! !!!!

Playing for a 1-0 defeat.

Hate to see that sort of thing.

SlowerThanPlatt

Would love to see a Prem club like Spurs or Everton snap up Lewis Baker from Chelsea. He's 22 and hasn't made an appearance yet for Chelsea, far too good a player to be playing in the reserves at that age or out on loan in another country.

rob9872

Pleased to say some of us saw it early and defended Murphy online and face to face at the Ricoh. Not an I told you so moment but well ...

I told you so
:)

Well done Jacob, I'd like to think both him and AA would attribute some of their success to CCFC.

SlowerThanPlatt

Anyone going to watch the semi final against the Germans at 5?

Swift has been dropped which is surprising, he looked the most creative player. England have looked very ordinary this tournament and I'd be surprised if Germany don't win with the squad they have

Otis

I thought Germany looked incredibly ordinary against Italy to be honest and really should be out of the competition.

The fact that played out for a 1-0 defeat in the end in that match says it all I think.

Definitely watching! Come on England!!

steve82

Yes England had a good start, really should of capitalised on these chances theyve had.

Even that header was straight at the keeper, either side and we'd be up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread