EFL Radio Rights (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Just saw this : EFL: New radio rights deals to maximise broadcast coverage for clubs and competitions

The EFL has agreed two major deals for its national radio rights.
Three-year agreements with talkSPORT and the BBC have been signed to secure high-profile broadcast platforms for all EFL clubs for the 2017/18 season onwards.

talkSPORT have secured exclusive live commentary rights across the Sky Bet EFL and Sky Bet Play-Offs as well as non-exclusive rights to the Carabao Cup, which they will share with the BBC.

Both outlets will have the ability to broadcast score flash updates across all three EFL Sky Bet divisions, the Carabao Cup and the Checkatrade Trophy.

The agreement represents a significant increase on the combined rights fee in comparison to the existing arrangements and includes additional non-exclusive elements, ensuring that both broadcasters will be able to promote the EFL, its clubs, competitions and partners.

Shaun Harvey, EFL Chief Executive, said: “I am delighted that we have been able to secure a national platform for all EFL clubs with the two main sports broadcasters in the UK.

“talkSPORT and the BBC have both been long-time partners of the EFL and I look forward to working with them to maximise the potential coverage for all our clubs and competitions.

“The increase we have achieved for our clubs represents tangible progress in a difficult market place and I truly believe this is a deal that not only benefits the EFL and our clubs, but also provides the best possible solution for supporters, partners and broadcasters alike.”

The terms of the agreements include:

talkSPORT

- Non-exclusive rights to score flash updates across all three EFL Sky Bet divisions, the Carabao Cup and the Checkatrade Trophy.

- Exclusive live commentary rights to up 110 EFL fixtures
- Up to a maximum of 92 Championship fixtures

- Exclusive live commentary rights for all matches included within the EFL Play-Offs across all three divisions

- Non-exclusive right to transmit live match commentary of Carabao Cup matches throughout the competition, including the final

- Exclusive rights to transmit live match commentary from Checkatrade Trophy matches

BBC

- Non-exclusive rights to score flash updates across all three EFL Sky Bet divisions, the Carabao Cup and the Checkatrade Trophy.

- Non-exclusive right to transmit live match commentary of Carabao Cup matches throughout the competition, including the final.

The EFL’s existing agreements with BBC and talkSPORT are due to expire following the completion of this season’s Sky Bet Play-Offs.

From what I can make out, Talksport will have live commentary on some EFL and Checkatrade games.

chiefdave

What the hell is the Carabao Cup? Presumably the BBC still get to cover every game on local radio and then TalkSport get national coverage.

Speedies_Chips

I know I am probably in the minority but I never enjoy radio commentary of any footie match. I never feel like I really know how the match is going, and most of the commentators aren't that good, and trot out the same old phrases.
I much prefer them just to go to the match when there is a goal or sending off etc,, to report.

Nick

Administrator
I know I am probably in the minority but I never enjoy radio commentary of any footie match. I never feel like I really know how the match is going, and most of the commentators aren't that good, and trot out the same old phrases.
I much prefer them just to go to the match when there is a goal or sending off etc,, to report.

It's ok when it isn't dodgy commentary! Much prefer that to text commentary if I can't be at a game or can't watch it on TV.

I have stopped getting excited when the commentators do though!!

shmmeee

Bring back the old squares on the pitch diagram i say!

back-to-square-one.gif

Rich

What the hell is the Carabao Cup? Presumably the BBC still get to cover every game on local radio and then TalkSport get national coverage.
They were giving that stuff away at the fan village at the Checkatrade. Rank Sugar Free Energy Drink.

Brylowes

Agreed, with the exception of Alan Greene love listening to his commentary, very informative
And detailed with numerous references to things going on off the ball, if you shut your eyes
you can almost smell the smoke and from the crowd and feel the rain on your back.

Mcbean

I like the radio commentry mostly ( although you can never be sure just how close we were with Clive ) - i listen on my bike with a digi radio - listened to the manure game coming back from a meeting last night once the cricket had finished - great thing about the radio is you can be doing other things - you cant always go to games - if its an away match nothing better for me than pottering in the garage listening to a game - test match special my favourite !

Speedies_Chips

I like the radio commentry mostly ( although you can never be sure just how close we were with Clive ) - i listen on my bike with a digi radio - listened to the manure game coming back from a meeting last night once the cricket had finished - great thing about the radio is you can be doing other things - you cant always go to games - if its an away match nothing better for me than pottering in the garage listening to a game - test match special my favourite !

Have to agree about test cricket. You can't beat the radio commentary on that. It's even good when rain stops play !

shmmeee

The whole CWR sports package needs looking at IMO, pre and post match and the phone in are crap as well.

fernandopartridge

The whole CWR sports package needs looking at IMO, pre and post match and the phone in are crap as well.
It's very stale, but CWR doesn't have the budget or staff to do much more than it does. Be interesting to see what the volume of listeners is compared with the premier league days.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

shmmeee

It's very stale, but CWR doesn't have the budget or staff to do much more than it does. Be interesting to see what the volume of listeners is compared with the premier league days.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I just think they need some new younger voices. Make it closer to something like the Nii Lamptey Podcast, which I can't see breaking the bank.

Though I imagine the demographics for CWR have probably never heard of a podcast.

Nick

Administrator
I can't believe people listen to CWR for other things.

"On line 2 we have Maureen who has just been out and seen a dog doing it's business on the path".

The montage's of adverts they play to make other shows sound fun are the equivalent of Miranda adverts.

It wouldn't break the bank to change things up a bit.

skybluejelly

"On line 2 we have Maureen who has just been out and seen a dog doing it's business on the path".

The montage's of adverts they play to make other shows sound fun are the equivalent of Miranda adverts.

the thing is it normally that bad its quite good ..I cant help listening to it sometimes ..drives the rest of the family mad

covcity4life

they are fucking hillariously bad. especially that womens radio show

but at least she having fun instead of causing uproar to get listeners actually.

now i hate myself for hating her before.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I sometimes listen to the Northampton one too, Stuart does the breakfast show and he is actually a good broadcaster in my opinion.

It's the format of the shows which is annoying I think, travel every 7 minutes. I mean, there is only so many times you can hear about a plank of wood on the A45 causing traffic chaos each morning!

Speedies_Chips

I sometimes listen to the Northampton one too, Stuart does the breakfast show and he is actually a good broadcaster in my opinion.

It's the format of the shows which is annoying I think, travel every 7 minutes. I mean, there is only so many times you can hear about a plank of wood on the A45 causing traffic chaos each morning!
What is Daniel Agyei doing on the A45 ?

Mcbean

I do listen to the football - we have no choice - used to listen to Shane O connor in the morning on the way to work he had a good sense of humour and wasnt shy of asking good questions( dumped for no public reason) - now with Trish Adudu and the other women i just turn it straight off once the news has been through - its just rubbish for me - however Annie Oathen is clearly sensible and knowlegeable and i will listen to her if shes on

CJ_covblaze

It's good to see it get more exposure but unless I'm in the car I can't think of any other time where I'd listen to a game. Get no enjoyment from it. Find post match phone ins entertaining though!

Brylowes

This pretty much sums up Coventry 'the City, hard to take I know, but it's the truth, it's so far
Adrift of other similar and much smaller places it's hard to imagine it could ever catch up.

shmmeee

Every time I hear that name of think of some woman sitting on the bog with her knickers round her knees.

I always thought her name was Trisha Doodoo

Like this terrorist fuck at the moment, I keep mishearing his name on the news as "A baby", like "a baby travelled to Libya" "a baby had links to extremists".

Further along that tangent: Every fucking time they say "commentary" on the telly I heard "Coventry".

Not really sure what the point of this post was now I've finished it.

ccfc92

That sounds almost as bad Wave 105 down here.

A woman genuinely sounded like she'd won the lottery when she got the golden hour correct, the prize is... nothing.

They heavily edit modern songs, "Took a plane to Ibiza" for example, but Spandau Ballet's "with a thrill in my head and a pill on my tongue" is okay.

They do play some great older songs occasionally though.

ccfc92

I always thought her name was Trisha Doodoo

Like this terrorist fuck at the moment, I keep mishearing his name on the news as "A baby", like "a baby travelled to Libya" "a baby had links to extremists".

Further along that tangent: Every fucking time they say "commentary" on the telly I heard "Coventry".

Not really sure what the point of this post was now I've finished it.

Oh, it's not? :oops: Genuinely thought the same.

100% with you on the "commentary"!

Users who are viewing this thread