Dublin (Ireland) Stabbings (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

So anyway, it appears if you believe the Mail (I know, I know!) that the attacker was arrested for possession of a knife in May of this year, but no conviction because of mental health issues.

Guess we need more details of what the May arrest actually *was*, and what happened afterwards don't we, but at least it'll allow this thread to kick off a bit again on a slightly different subject to how it began eh...

shmmeee

So anyway, it appears if you believe the Mail (I know, I know!) that the attacker was arrested for possession of a knife in May of this year, but no conviction because of mental health issues.

Guess we need more details of what the May arrest actually *was*, and what happened afterwards don't we, but at least it'll allow this thread to kick off a bit again on a slightly different subject to how it began eh...

Don’t get this. Surely we want to worry more if someone with MH issues is caught with a knife, not less?

But as you say the actual details and what the Mail reports are rarely the same thing.

Nick

Administrator
Court stopped him from being deported
Court wasn't arsed he was caught with a knife

Lot to answer for. Hope he gets a nice cuddle, the poor lamb.

NorthernWisdom

Don’t get this. Surely we want to worry more if someone with MH issues is caught with a knife, not less?

But as you say the actual details and what the Mail reports are rarely the same thing.
It suggests total lack of funding to do something about him, but for me to say that would be a bit pre-emptive, and I don't really know how Ireland functions on such things.

NorthernWisdom

Court stopped him from being deported
Court wasn't arsed he was caught with a knife

Lot to answer for. Hope he gets a nice cuddle, the poor lamb.
There were many years between him fighting to remain and knife arrest - the race and ethnicity is irrelevant if as reported, it's pure dog whistle based on what I put.

"It is not accurate to say that this man was constantly causing trouble but he was known to officers in the area since those incidents in May"

The fact he came to Ireland from Algeria is totally irrelevant if he has declined since, as that could happen to any of us.

Note, given you like your simplicity and black and white, that doesn't mean I think somebody should carry on their business after being arrested in possession of a knife - he's not alone in that particular bit though, is he.

If if IF! And not in a RUdyard Kipling sense!

Last edited:

shmmeee

It suggests total lack of funding to do something about him, but for me to say that would be a bit pre-emptive, and I don't really know how Ireland functions on such things.

Surely though the immediate do something is get a dangerous man off the streets until we can get him more humane help?

But agree. Were playing the Mails game here.

NorthernWisdom

Surely though the immediate do something is get a dangerous man off the streets until we can get him more humane help?

But agree. Were playing the Mails game here.
I do agree. The hole seems to be not convicting him, and nothing else happening from that point... or so it seems anyway. Either convict him, or have proper measures in place if he isn't convicted because of mental health issues.

Of course even with proper measures, some people will still slip through - nothing is perfect, but assuming Ireland is at least as poor at it as the UK... there won't be much in the way of support and action!

Grendel

And tbf, the fact facts keep changing means we shouldn't necessarily take the current report I mentioned at face value either!

It’s in the mirror online as well

wingy

The similarities of the case with that of that young lad from Portsmouth only his ended with a shotgun rampage and in that case he was dealt with unsuccessfully by agencies.

Users who are viewing this thread