Match Thread Coventry City - Stoke City Match Thread - Saturday 11th Nov (2 Viewers)

AFCCOVENTRY

Yesterday was a significant improvement with a number of positive takeaways.
The glaring negative was that we missed too many good chances and really should have won.

But if you aren’t coming away from that with some level of positivity and feeling our form might be about to change your probably best not to go again.

I’ve watched the highlights this morning and the reality is we should have put at least one of our chances away.

The strikers should be in everyday during the international break and get their shit together.

We can’t play all 3 of them upfront either.

Grendel

Soz, I’ll say something which makes more sense;

MR Out, Jackett In.

It is a totally bizarre thing to say people shouldn’t go unless they are on happy pills after a goalless draw and one point out of 15

We had to change formation as eventually robins had to admit his two expensive wing backs are not up to it and now has two season championship players as full backs

Despite numerous opportunities we really had only one shot on target of any meaning which still was outside the area.

Wright and Godden missed good opportunities

We haven’t suddenly transformed into Barcelona after a goalless draw against a fairly poor looking championship team

Ashdown

All 3 strikers have shown at points that they can finish though haven't they

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Hardly ? As I’ve said before Wrights fell on 3 tap ins and one more which was perhaps 10 Yards out against Boro. He needs to get up to speed now , create more, challenge more, run more.

BlueSkiesForever

Correct. Godden is not very very weak. Not like Sakamoto.
I’d start Sakamoto over Godden any day. Yes Saka’s not that strong but he’s tenacious and tricky to defend against, he can use both feet well and can play in almost any attacking position.
Apart from a couple of penalties and a few goals at the start of the season I’ve not seen anything from Godden in the last 7-8 games that suggests he should be given this much game time week in week out.

Grendel

I’d start Sakamoto over Godden any day. Yes Saka’s not that strong but he’s tenacious and tricky to defend against, he can use both feet well and can play in almost any attacking position.
Apart from a couple of penalties and a few goals at the start of the season I’ve not seen anything from Godden in the last 7-8 games that suggests he should be given this much game time week in week out.

I don’t see Sakatomo as adding a lot to the team to be honest

SBT

I really want Sakamoto to be a thing, but he did absolutely nothing yesterday and looked distracted on several occasions - the language barrier is clearly still an issue and I feel for him, but his team-mates are having to scream at him to mark the right players etc. You have to hope that playing in a regular position will help with all that but it’s hard to argue he’s earned it at this stage.

PVA

Agree that all three strikers together in a 3 doesn't quite work.

Simms and Wright on the flanks both want the ball over the top.

I'd have Sakamoto on the right, so he's able to come deeper and link the play. Allen was just a little lost in there on his own and needed a bit of support.

Also to cut inside on his left foot opening up the overlap for van Ewijk.

johnwillomagic

Hmm thoughts - well it was pretty dire stuff from both teams tbh.

Goalie and Back 4 looked solid though not really tested by Stoke but I'd keep the same 5 for Millwall.
In midfield would get Kelly back in there for either Sheaf or Eccles - normally would say in for Eccles but Sheaf has not looked right last few games not sure if fit would rest one of them.

Would probably go 4-2-3-1 - love O'Hare but don't think fit yet I would probably play Allen, Sakamoto & Godden and play Simms up top as target man and bench Hadji Wright.

Millwall a funny side but a team I feel playing three strikers against could work never entirely convince about them defensively.....however I think it is 4-2-3-1 for me Palmer may be back to add something from the bench along with O'Hare as well.

BlueSkiesForever

I don’t see Sakatomo as adding a lot to the team to be honest

I really want Sakamoto to be a thing, but he did absolutely nothing yesterday and looked distracted on several occasions - the language barrier is clearly still an issue and I feel for him, but his team-mates are having to scream at him to mark the right players etc. You have to hope that playing in a regular position will help with all that but it’s hard to argue he’s earned it at this stage.

I get that he’s not the finished article yet and he’s better offensively than defensively but I genuinely think he gives his all almost every game and he’s one of the few players that’s willing to whip the ball into the box or try and dribble past defenders or cut inside. I think Robins should be giving him the confidence he needs by starting him most weeks rather than using him as a late sub. As you say there’s clearly a large language barrier to overcome but it can’t be easy getting to grips with the team and what’s being asked of him if he’s not getting minutes on the pitch.

I personally just don’t see what Godden brings to the strike force, he’s good for tap-ins but we’re not creating those sort of opportunities, I’d much rather have a more creative player on the pitch like Sakamoto or O’Hare than Godden.

Seaside-Skyblue

Gives his all, without offering much.

We’re wandering into Morrell territory.
Tbh we didn't utilise Morrell properly at all playing him on the wing regularly. He went onto Blackpool after and bagged a hatful...as he did his whole career except for us.

Sent from my SM-A346B using Tapatalk

PVA

Sakamoto has never scored a goal outside of Japan.

Robins doesn’t like him and I wouldn’t be shocked to see him return to Japan at the earliest opportunity

Strange thing to quote.

He played a season and a half outside of Japan, at wing back.

wingy

What was going on in the dugout area yesterday, seemed like there was a row about a second person?

Tommo1993

Thing I feel most positive about is they’ve finally stopped showing that Jimmy Hill/PUSB video just before KO on the big screen. About time they caught up with modern times.

Seaside-Skyblue

Thing I feel most positive about is they’ve finally stopped showing that Jimmy Hill/PUSB video just before KO on the big screen. About time they caught up with modern times.
Don't know of it's the same one but there was a Jimmy hill video and a highlight reel on yesterday at the game of some matches over the last 40 years or so.

Tommo1993

Don't know of it's the same one but there was a Jimmy hill video and a highlight reel on yesterday at the game of some matches over the last 40 years or so.

It certainly wasn’t the same one as the last few seasons where he’s singing PUSB at HR in black and white.

Offhegoes

Thought we were going to regret the switch to 4-3-3 after 15 mins. Stoke seemed to cut through us every time they ventured forward. Then we took control until the last 10. Missed chances again. After the shaky first 15 mins we played some great stuff.
Still think the box formation is the way forward. Looked decent against West Brom.
Godden did well today, but Simms is the centre forward for me. If Sakamoto started on the right yesterday, with Simms in the middle, we win that game.

Users who are viewing this thread