Match Thread Coventry City - Preston North End FC Match Thread - Friday 23rd Feb (2 Viewers)

slowpoke

Even if we don't make the play-offs, I'd still see it as a season of progression based on the high turnover of players. That being said, I do expect us to comfortably make the POs next season and even challenge for the top 2- anything less would be very disappointing.
There seems to be a belief next years championship will be easier, I doubt that very much. If we are still in it Robins has to have his best transfer window since he’s been here.

robbiethemole

Also JDS misread the situation and tried to make amends with a powder puff of a header to gave away the corner within 39 seconds for the first goal. I said to my mate upon seeing JDS playing at left back he will be targeted by the opposition as all the other teams do. MR should see he is not a full back and stop using him there.
We really needed to bring in a 6ft + brick shit- house at fb in Jan to stop what we saw last night. It was so like going back to the Kelly-Evans crap all over again, maybe use JDS at left wing and Bidwell behind, move Haji over to the right and ????????................oh, fuck it, I don't know whatelse

Alan Dugdales Moustache

We really needed to bring in a 6ft + brick shit- house at fb in Jan to stop what we saw last night. It was so like going back to the Kelly-Evans crap all over again, maybe use JDS at left wing and Bidwell behind, move Haji over to the right and ????????................oh, fuck it, I don't know whatelse
There's a player at Blackburn called McFadzean. He isn't the right player for that position but last night we were crying out for someone to get a grip .

Deity

I do think the team lacks an older experienced player to help on the pitch when things are big going to plan.

Both Brighton and Brentford have always added that type of player to their young talented squads

procdoc

I do think the team lacks an older experienced player to help on the pitch when things are big going to plan.

Both Brighton and Brentford have always added that type of player to their young talented squads
True. Brighton have Lallana, Milner and Wellbeck. Brentford Ben Mee so it’s all about balance

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Sorry, can people please stop calling for Fadz, and even Kelly, they both had a great term with us but both are a step behind where we need to be now - and if you don’t see that then you need to give your head a wobble….

Kelly might be our only option soon in midfield, but he’s not good enough for where we want to be, and neither him nor Fadz would ordinarily get a look in - it’s beyond obvious!

and in terms of being a decent transition season, fully agree with that (except I’m not sure we’re not still a fair number of players short), but it’s just frustrating this ‘transition season’ that looked like it might become more wasn’t capitalised on in January when a couple of decent signings could’ve been the difference between a playoff place and a mid table consolidation.

I think another big overhaul will be needed at the end of this season to challenge next

fernandopartridge

Sorry, can people please stop calling for Fadz, and even Kelly, they both had a great term with us but both are a step behind where we need to be now - and if you don’t see that then you need to give your head a wobble….

Kelly might be our only option soon in midfield, but he’s not good enough for where we want to be, and neither him nor Fadz would ordinarily get a look in - it’s beyond obvious!

and in terms of being a decent transition season, fully agree with that (except I’m not sure we’re not still a fair number of players short), but it’s just frustrating this ‘transition season’ that looked like it might become more wasn’t capitalised on in January when a couple of decent signings could’ve been the difference between a playoff place and a mid table consolidation.

I think another big overhaul will be needed at the end of this season to challenge next
Kelly should be playing given the injuries, only a fool would think Lati is a better option in midfield.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Great_Expectations

Everything about last night was wrong. It was a truly bad bad bad bad bad day at the office. Genuinely zero positives to take from it.

Simms comes out with some credit first half. Second half everyone hid and/or was just not good enough.

You need big players to step up and be leaders in games like that, either by example or through encouragement etc, we massively lacked that. I know he’s (rightly) loved but COH hid, Wright hid and was poor, Palmer was his usual hot/cold self and nobody else really warrants a mention.

Massively disappointing and I’m sure we’re all feeling it today, but this time next week we could be in the QF and very much back in the play off mix after two good results.

procdoc

Everything about last night was wrong. It was a truly bad bad bad bad bad day at the office. Genuinely zero positives to take from it.

Simms comes out with some credit first half. Second half everyone hid and/or was just not good enough.

You need big players to step up and be leaders in games like that, either by example or through encouragement etc, we massively lacked that. I know he’s (rightly) loved but COH hid, Wright hid and was poor, Palmer was his usual hot/cold self and nobody else really warrants a mention.

Massively disappointing and I’m sure we’re all feeling it today, but this time next week we could be in the QF and very much back in the play off mix after two good results.
A bit harsh to say Wright was hiding. He put himself about

Alan Dugdales Moustache

That's disrespectful to both players. Easy in hindsight to say McFadz wasn't good enough but we are now seriously lacking a player of his type and physicality and , importantly, leadership. He was good enough and still will be an asset to most championship clubs. He's not good enough for the Premier league but then very few in our team are.

Last edited:

wingy

Just think it seems a bit confusing.

I agree we are short on numbers but we've also spend £6m this window and nearly £25m since June.

We've clearly had the funds to strengthen in numbers but someone clearly has a strategy of quality over quantity. That's fine, if you get lucky with injuries. We haven't.

The funds are being spent in interesting ways. Haji is a funny signing. That sort of money is mental for a club like us. We've clearly got a wage cap and that has stopped us adding loans or the likes of John Swift. It's going to stop us from signing O'Hare up.

It's a tough balance because we could have brought in 4 players and they could have been poor instead of signing Torp who really does look a class above.
Only Bar 4 signings.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

That's disrespectful to both players. Easy in hindsight to say McFadz wasn't good enough but we are now seriously lacking a player of his type and physicality and , importantly, leadership. He was good enough and still will be an asset to most championship clubs. He's not good enough for the Premier league but then very few in our team are.

I’d never shout a player down, but he is too slow and in a back 4 a liability

respectfully I disagree with you, we don’t miss him

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Simms put himself about very well and I thought was one of, if not our best player - he faded a bit when the formation changed, it seemed to make him less effective - he certainly didn’t hide though

gruffskyblue

I just remembered a moment from the ridiculousness of last night and found myself chuckling (if you don’t laugh, you’d cry). Not only could we not pass to feet, press, take a set-piece or get our physios on quickly, I suddenly remembered we even failed in taking a kick-off! 😂 At that moment, we knew it certainly wasn’t going to be our day!

Paxman II

Well I think we are getting carried away here just a little bit. After todays results it seems yesterdays loss was not so bad after all points wise at least. results all went our way today. Sometimes you have a bad day and we had one. The players will not repeat that, and the chances are we will have a good run of games ahead. West Brom next Friday will be a tough well fought game in which we will get something from, I'm sure of it. We are not going to fade away. We have a pretty good run in compared to others all looking for a top six finish. If I was to criticise Robin's then it would be in the rotation of players which seemed to effect the team the last few games. They are professional footballers, they don't go out to work every day, it's all they do. If he is concerned about energy levels then train less viguorously in the week and keep them fresh. Preston are a physical side and we needed Kitching back in and Biwell from the start. We lacked central midfielders and palmer should have started the game at the expese of one up top for the first 60 minutes. Lots to play for and players to come back in.

SkyBlueSoul

I've waited until now to vent, so I'll keep it simple. Massively and unequivocally fuck the M6. Left Manchester at 4, took over 3 hours to get to Cov. Only just made it for kick off.

Felt like the players had never played football let alone played it together. Such a strange game and atmosphere. Saka's injury was the icing on the cake of shite things to happen. The only positive was getting to have a good catch up with my mate during the second half.

Offhegoes

Since the Leicester win the performances have been adequate at best. We got the best of Sheff Weds over 3 games but rode our luck. As we did at Stoke on Sat. Both poor teams, Got well beaten by our play off rivals (Norwich & Preston).
Robins has always formed his best teams around a solid defence. For me, Brad Collins is our No1, and I’m struggling to see how or why Wilson seems to have got back in. Ben’s a great lad , and a perfect back up but he was all over the place last night.
Kitching is the top man. Play him. Binks is decent but we look stronger when the former starts..
I like Dasilva, what a first touch. Clever passer too, but LB in a back 4 in the Championship? No.
Bad day at the office, O’Hare, MVE, Wright , Palmer, and Torp did absolutely nothing all game

Last edited:

white army 1968

No I mean like he jumped on to the guys shoulder. I dunno. I'm prob chatting shit. I just always though the attacker is naive when fall like that. It's like they jump into danger area too far

Not rly explaining it
As a football fan i hope the lad gets better as quickly as possible and plays football again sooner rather than later but it is interesting to see that people have a difference of opinion on this sort of incident.

I can never make my mind up to be fair when i played Sunday league nobody jumped that high so it never was something that i really came across..

white army 1968

Preston are one of worst sides I seen. There's a reason their fans want Lowe gone.

Did Wilson actually make a save in the match?
A small number of vocal fans wanted him out amongst them where a number who wanted him the day before he arrived..... in our area some have a pure hatred of anybody from Liverpool and instead of taking the opportunity to allow any party to perform they have picked him ever since..... The majority love him ..

shmmeee

As a football fan i hope the lad gets better as quickly as possible and plays football again sooner rather than later but it is interesting to see that people have a difference of opinion on this sort of incident.

I can never make my mind up to be fair when i played Sunday league nobody jumped that high so it never was something that i really came across..

It happens all the time. Our players do it too. But it should be cracked down on cos it’s dangerous at those heights.

Users who are viewing this thread