Match Thread Coventry City - Exeter City Match Thread - Saturday 23rd Sep (1 Viewer)

higgs

Are we looking like champions?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

James Smith

Brilliant looking goals today and against the league leaders is even better. Just wish I hadn't left my phone at home.

Covstu

Are we looking like champions?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
I would say contenders at this stage but if they are top of the league then we haven't got anything to worry about but I think they played poor so we cannot get too confident. We need points on the road equally as a decent home form but it's a great starting point

Otis

I would say contenders at this stage but if they are top of the league then we haven't got anything to worry about but I think they played poor so we cannot get too confident. We need points on the road equally as a decent home form but it's a great starting point

Yep, before we even start to think about champions we need to sort out our away form. Seemingly though we HAVE deserved more from away matches, but it does need sorting out. Home form overall has been great and we should never have lost against Newport.

We have lost 3 in 9. Replicated over a season that would surmount to 15 loses. Only one team out of the top 7 last season lost 15 matches or more. The next worse was 12.

We need to turn these away defeats into draws at least.

Last edited:

Otis

Last season, top 7

Portsmouth 11 defeats
Plymouth 11 defeats
Doncaster 11 defeats
Luton 9 defeats
Exeter 17 defeats
Carlisle 11 defeats
Blackpool 12 defeats

Otis

If we are looking at automatic promotion .....

Top 3 season before

Northampton 5 defeats
Oxford 8 defeats
Bristol 13 defeats

Top 3 the season before that

Burton 8 defeats
Shrewsbury 11 defeats
Bury 13 defeats

Before that

Chesterfield 8 defeats
Scunthorpe 5 defeats
Rochdale 13 defeats.

Bottom line is we need to only be losing around 11 or 12 games tops. Already lost 3, so probably no more than 9 more defeats for the rest of the season.

Nick

Administrator
I'm still not sure about automatics, I'm a bit worried about our injuries too for the season.

Anything less than playoffs and robins needs to have a word with himself.

Pete in Portugal

Yep, before we even start to think about champions we need to sort out our away form. Seemingly though we HAVE deserved more from away matches, but it does need sorting out. Home form overall has been great and we should never have lost against Newport.

We have lost 3 in 9. Replicated over a season that would surmount to 15 loses. Only one team out of the top 7 last season lost 15 matches or more. The next worse was 12.

We need to turn these away defeats into draws at least.

Agreed Otis. To achieve that, we need strikers who can score goals. Hopefully, Nazon will decide to play for a full 90 minutes at some point, Biamou will improve, (he has some way to go yet), and McNulty will be back, wanting to impress. If we are to get an auto promotion place, We need 2 out of these 3 to do the business. Hopefully Beavon will chip in with a few too. There are reasons to be optimistic, but our strike-force is still very much a work in progress.

Grendel

If we are looking at automatic promotion .....

Top 3 season before

Northampton 5 defeats
Oxford 8 defeats
Bristol 13 defeats

Top 3 the season before that

Burton 8 defeats
Shrewsbury 11 defeats
Bury 13 defeats

Before that

Chesterfield 8 defeats
Scunthorpe 5 defeats
Rochdale 13 defeats.

Bottom line is we need to only be losing around 11 or 12 games tops. Already lost 3, so probably no more than 9 more defeats for the rest of the season.

Only 8 teams haven't already lost 3

clint van damme

Last season, top 7

Portsmouth 11 defeats
Plymouth 11 defeats
Doncaster 11 defeats
Luton 9 defeats
Exeter 17 defeats
Carlisle 11 defeats
Blackpool 12 defeats

but at this stage of the season Portsmouth had 2 more points than us, Plymouth 1 and Doncaster 1 less.

Marty

I thought it was a poor game, but I think we'll see that pattern continue, where we teams come and sit tight, then a goal for us and the game completely stretches and opens up.

The defence look rock solid, but for me, I'd love to see Kelly play slightly further up the pitch, I think we struggle up front. Jones is the only outlet and if we could get similar player on the other side we'd be strong contenders for the title, still a lot of improvement needed in both personal and performance, but I think we've made a solid start and hope we can continue.

clint van damme

I thought it was a poor game, but I think we'll see that pattern continue, where we teams come and sit tight, then a goal for us and the game completely stretches and opens up.

The defence look rock solid, but for me, I'd love to see Kelly play slightly further up the pitch, I think we struggle up front. Jones is the only outlet and if we could get similar player on the other side we'd be strong contenders for the title, still a lot of improvement needed in both personal and performance, but I think we've made a solid start and hope we can continue.

I'm sure Kelly played slightly further forward a few games ago and it did look more effective. Struggling to remember which game it was.

Ricketts

Jodi's goal wasnt as fortuitous as people make out. I was right behind it. The way the bunch of players were lined up, hard and low was always going to bounce off someone dressed like a steward. It was only a case of would it hit the keeper too. Nothing Sky Blue in sight. Good play.

I also thought Biamou had his best game, especially as we had lost Vincenti as the aerial outlet.

Duke and Jodi could each have given the other a sitter, but at HT Robins had told them all to take their chances, so maybe that is why.

Reactions: JWC

Nick

Administrator
He has been higher up the pitch in the second half a couple of times, the game he put duke through for his goal as well.

SkyBlueCRJ

It worries me how we can't even get through a game without a player picking up a niggle or serious injury. I think at this present time we have to be realistic and set the bench mark at play-offs considering the squad is at risk of being stretched thin.

The deciding factor is if we make movements in the transfer market in January. We'll certainly need strengthening. We've already lost Andreu for the season and considering how quickly the injuries are racking up replacements will be inevitably needed.

Adge

Lovely feint from JJ to get past 3 of their men for the own goal. Wasn't too keen on him last year but seems he's relishing being the main man this year.
Got to agree there. The other worrying thing is that at the minute we are pinning our hopes on a 19 year old.

Esoterica

It's Jodi's 20th birthday on October 22nd, day after the Colchester home game, we should let him know we appreciate his efforts!

Rodders1

Great win - could have been 4-5. We will spank someone soon I think.

Not seen one decent team at the Ricoh this year - we've beaten top two as well.

Hobo

If you over analyse stuff you will always find something to be concerned about. The season has barely begun and we are doing ok.

covcity4life

Concrete Rod should start bellowing "THOU SHALT NOT PASSSSSSSSSS!!!!" at the enemy. With Braveheart face paint on.
giphy.gif

The Penguin

You just have to ignore the frankly dreadful free kick beforehand, and it becomes a piece of pure magic :smuggrin:

Users who are viewing this thread