Match Thread Coventry City - Exeter City Match Thread - Saturday 23rd Sep (1 Viewer)

Johnnythespider

He missed, as did Jones.

He won pretty much every header and directed it to a team mate.

It's like vincenti, people will slate him no matter what
I've noticed he pulls wide quite often and drags his marker out with him creating space in the middle, he's a decent player for this level and when he gets a goal it will do him the world of good.

PTA

Good result but still think we need more goals coming from the forwards- OGs and goals from a Kelly Evans will be hard to come by. But more to the point good result and clean sheet.

JWC

Oh he was in sky blue. My mistake, best player ever :drool:

Not saying that though are we. Shame he missed an easy chance but he was far from poor or out of his depth. Reckon he'll start the next game.

Esoterica

Delighted with the win, the performance after we scored and a dream debut for Devon. Think the result and Exeter's previously unbeaten position masks the reality though. It was another dire first half and we were reliant on a very fortuitous own goal to open up the game - if that hadn't gone in it would have been a very different game for that last 30 minutes. We look great on the counter, as we did against Notts County but I can't see us making the auto promotion spots with this tactic of seeing out the first half of games playing deep.

JWC

Delighted with the win, the performance after we scored and a dream debut for Devon. Think the result and Exeter's previously unbeaten position masks the reality though. It was another dire first half and we were reliant on a very fortuitous own goal to open up the game - if that hadn't gone in it would have been a very different game for that last 30 minutes. We look great on the counter, as we did against Notts County but I can't see us making the auto promotion spots with this tactic of seeing out the first half of games playing deep.

I don't think we relied on a fortuitous own goal at all. We had 5 decent chances in the game and there was only ever one team in it.

dazed&confused

The first goal changed everything. And the first goal was fortunate. After the goal, we grew in confidence and their game plan went out of the window. In the end we should have won by three or four. But having non-scoring strikers in the team is a bit of a handicap.

JWC

Agree with that but we clinical enough and equally Burges save at 1-0 was critical

Fair doos. I just felt confident that we were that much better than them that if they had have nicked one, we would still gone on to win it. We were by far the better side all over the pitch

Esoterica

I don't think we relied on a fortuitous own goal at all. We had 5 decent chances in the game and there was only ever one team in it.
Which of those chances were before the own goal? It completely opened the game up and we should have won by much more in the end but for me it was that goal that was the catalyst for it.

JWC

Which of those chances were before the own goal? It completely opened the game up and we should have won by much more in the end but for me it was that goal that was the catalyst for it.

None, but I just felt that we were that much better that one would have come along anyway. Yes the goal changed it but we were the better team before that too.

Esoterica

None, but I just felt that we were that much better that one would have come along anyway. Yes the goal changed it but we were the better team before that too.
We were the better team but we create next to nothing in the first half of games and against defensive teams. The only times this season we've looked really good is against teams chasing games. There will be plenty more Chesterfields and Newports unless we start being more adventurous in the first half of games. Right now I just can't see autos starting games this deep.

Hobo

Cracking result. Great confidence boost for the players.

clint van damme

Few thoughts on today.
Burge, sign of a good keeper, has little to do but keep their concentration and step up when called on.
McDonald, man of the match for me, superb performance.
DKE - though his movement when playing centrally was naive, (not a criticism, an observation, i'm sure he'll get better), but I can only remember him giving the ball away once, kept it simple. Stepped up when moved out wide and deserved his goal, pleased for the lad. Paul Tisdale should invite him down to train with Exeter for the week and he could teach them how to play aggressively without trying to cripple people.
Biamou - getting better each game, and yes. his miss was dreadful but he's moved up in level, I'm sure he'll keep on improving. Thought his work rate was decent.
Paul Tisdale - lost some respect for him today, didn't realise he sent his teams out to put those sort of horrible challenges in. Can't believe they finished with 11 men on the pitch, but that was down to the grade A useless wanker we had reffing.

lifeskyblue

Few thoughts on today.
Burge, sign of a good keeper, has little to do but keep their concentration and step up when called on.
McDonald, man of the match for me, superb performance.
DKE - though his movement when playing centrally was naive, (not a criticism, an observation, i'm sure he'll get better), but I can only remember him giving the ball away once, kept it simple. Stepped up when moved out wide and deserved his goal, pleased for the lad. Paul Tisdale should invite him down to train with Exeter for the week and he could teach them how to play aggressively without trying to cripple people.
Biamou - getting better each game, and yes. his miss was dreadful but he's moved up in level, I'm sure he'll keep on improving. Thought his work rate was decent.
Paul Tisdale - lost some respect for him today, didn't realise he sent his teams out to put those sort of horrible challenges in. Can't believe they finished with 11 men on the pitch, but that was down to the grade A useless wanker we had reffing.

Agree with all this. Burge looked like a solid keeper throughout, DKE gave it everything...yes naive at times but totally committed. Biamou had a good second half winning headers and working well with Duck. Yes should have scored but goals will come.
The whole back four did well and apart from the two chances towards the end never looked like conceding. Midfield deep but effective. Jones growing in confidence...looks increasingly to pick up ball wherever he is on the pitch.
Against the previously unbeaten Exeter this was a good professional performance. And considering we lost beavon in warm up and vincenti early on the manager and team responded superbly.
As for Exeter v disappointing both in play and attitude. I expected more from them to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCECFC

Good win for you boys today. First half deadly dull from both sides and no threats really. Think it changed partly due to CH Moore-Taylor having to be subbed at half tim and us bringing on a striker. Changes at the back exposed us and having 3 up front to lump it to was no more successful than it had been with two. We were much better the few times we got it on the ground. Reid should have levelled at the end but that would have been totally unjust. Worst performance I've seen for some time. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Covstu

Good win for you boys today. First half deadly dull from both sides and no threats really. Think it changed partly due to CH Moore-Taylor having to be subbed at half tim and us bringing on a striker. 3 at the back exposed us and having 3 up front to lump it to was no more successful than it had been with two. We were much better the few times we got it on the ground. Reid should have levelled at the end but that would have been totally unjust. Worst performance I've seen for some time. Good luck for the rest of the season.
Safe journey back! To be honest, Exeter were extremely poor today but we played well and if we finished our chances it could have been a lot more. Good luck against county during the week!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Biamou's miss doesn't quite the open goal we thought at the time. How did Nazon not hit the target from there!

If we ever lose Jones to injury or a January bid, we're buggered.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That Nazon miss is abysmal, he's missed a couple of 90/10 in his favour this season!

I get it's L2 but it is a concern the amount being missed!

Tommo72

Safe journey back! To be honest, Exeter were extremely poor today but we played well and if we finished our chances it could have been a lot more. Good luck against county during the week!

It could have been 3 or 4 so yes spot on

Otis

Biamou's miss isn't quite the open goal we thought at the time. How did Nazon not hit the target from there!

If we ever lose Jones to injury or a January bid, we're buggered.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yeah, at the time the Biamou one looked like he couldn't miss.

Users who are viewing this thread