Coventry City - Best player ever (1 Viewer)

P

patsy123ccfc

I am relatively new to this forum and I can only assume this has been a hot topic of interest before. Me and my buddy at work were in a heated debate. He seemed to think Oggy was the best player for Coventry. I said it has to be Micky Quinn or Gary McAllister.

Thoughts?

rob9872

Hutch usually comes out on top in these kind of things, but sadly just before my time really. For me it has to be Dion (despite the exit) he was immense not only as a goalscorer, but as captain, leader, all round game, effort and even at centre-half. I know he's tainted for some, but absolutely loved the guy whilst he was here. Most of my favourites are forwards as loved Speedie and Kevin Gallacher too, probably only Peake or Oggy would come close for me defensively. Keane could have threatened all of these if he'd stayed for longer.

Otis

Used to say Steve Hunt or Glazier, but now have changed my mind and would like to offer up Andre Wright.

pastythegreat

Wouldn't even have Oggy down as best keeper for city, Let alone best player! It's one of those age old questions I think nobody will ever be able to truly answer, it's down to personal opinion and preference! In my lifetime I never got to see the wonder years of the Jimmy Hill 60s, was only 2 when we won the FA cup and wasn't really old enough to remember/fully understand/appreciate the premier league years. So my best player(s) will be completely different to yours! And it also consider on what people class as 'best'? Most goals scored? Most clean sheets? Best all round player?
In my eyes (and I fully agree he never played for us in the prem) but for me the most exciting player I remember, could make a goal from nothing, so my vote would go for David Mcgoldrick.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Gazolba

In terns of cost: Robbie Keane.
But I'd have to say in my lifetime it was George Curtis. He was the stalwart defender who captained us for both of Jimmy Hill's promotions.
Truly an 'iron man' if ever there was one.
He played nearly 500 games for us, then co-managed us to the 1987 FA Cup.

CJ_covblaze

Peter Ndlovu or Roland Nilsson.

Nick

Administrator
Ask me as a kid and it was ndlovu or chippo / hadji. All about the step overs and skills.

Still thinking about best ever player though, it will be one that's not as noticed and got the job done.

A boateng type.

ddsdube

Dion was immense over several seasons, however best player I've (briefly) seen in a cov shirt was Robbie Keane.

That or Robert Jarni

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

Wouldn't even have Oggy down as best keeper for city, Let alone best player! It's one of those age old questions I think nobody will ever be able to truly answer, it's down to personal opinion and preference! In my lifetime I never got to see the wonder years of the Jimmy Hill 60s, was only 2 when we won the FA cup and wasn't really old enough to remember/fully understand/appreciate the premier league years. So my best player(s) will be completely different to yours! And it also consider on what people class as 'best'? Most goals scored? Most clean sheets? Best all round player?
In my eyes (and I fully agree he never played for us in the prem) but for me the most exciting player I remember, could make a goal from nothing, so my vote would go for David Mcgoldrick.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Yep, Oggy not even City's best keeper, though do accept many posters on here won't have been around for Glazier and Blyth.

trevelfarandwide

Peter Ndlovu or Roland Nilsson.

Nilsson is my personal choice for most gifted City player ever.

Favourites tend to get melded with all-time bests, I find, it's difficult to narrow one player down from 1000's because of fans ages, which era of CCFC they were 'in' etc.

I find it's easier to pick a best all-time 11 for CCFC, myself.

vow

Dion Dublin fo sho! kept us up many a year with his goals.

lifeskyblue

Tommy Hutchinson for me. Followed by Curtis. I always had a soft spot for willie carr and Gibson and hunt. Of the keepers I have to go with glazier

PUSB

Otis

Tommy Hutchinson for me. Followed by Curtis. I always had a soft spot for willie carr and Gibson and hunt. Of the keepers I have to go with glazier

PUSB
Yep. Glazier the best.

My favourite player was Steve Hunt, but the best player we have ever had I would say has to be Dion Dublin.

bringbackrattles

George Hudson. Complete centre forward as he got all sorts of goals,headed goals and with his feet.And was tough and gave centre half's a battle if they wanted one. Should have played at a higher level.

Gazolba

Obviously this thread should have been titled "Best player ever that I remember". Some incredible omissions here, no doubt because the posters never saw them.

trevelfarandwide

Obviously this thread should have been titled "Best player ever that I remember". Some incredible omissions here, no doubt because the posters never saw them.
Considering the absolute dross we have nowadays, I'm even looking at season reviews and saying things like: ''God, Ally Pickering wasn't that bad at all..." and "At least David Rennie could pass the fecking ball..."

Dark, dark days.

CJ_covblaze

Considering the absolute dross we have nowadays, I'm even looking at season reviews and saying things like: ''God, Ally Pickering wasn't that bad at all..." and "At least David Rennie could pass the fecking ball..."

Dark, dark days.

Oh how the memories of Kyle Lightbourne and Simon Haworth leaves me drooling. Honestly I'd take them now. Even though they're 48 and 39.

trevelfarandwide

Oh how the memories of Kyle Lightbourne and Simon Haworth leaves me drooling. Honestly I'd take them now. Even though they're 48 and 39.

Even Nigel Jemson would do, and he's probably 55 by now...

skybluejelly

David speedie for me .. the way he used to chip the goalie on what seemed like a regular basis

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Don Nardiello (I only say him, coz I used to deliver his milk!)

Users who are viewing this thread