Coventry Airport (1 Viewer)

Astute

That's not the point I was making.

The move to the Ricoh should be enough of a bad advertisement for what happens to a club when you move its home away from its heart.
Yea fuck it. Lets go to Northampton instead.

Hobo

The old brickwork Foleshill Road is being cleared and a massive site. I don't know what's going on it...housing I would guess. But more than big enough for a stadium and add on's.

Astute

from the BBC...

.... The urban landscape accounts for 10.6% of England, 1.9% of Scotland, 3.6% of Northern Ireland and 4.1% of Wales.

Put another way, that means almost 93% of the UK is not urban. But even that isn't the end of the story because urban is not the same as built on.
The 2% is to do with one of the lies to do with Brexit. Many believe it to be the truth.

But enough of that. We have a thread for that crap.

Astute

The old brickwork Foleshill Road is being cleared and a massive site. I don't know what's going on it...housing I would guess. But more than big enough for a stadium and add on's.

If it has planning permission for houses the land will be too valuable for a stadium.

Astute

So let's just live in a country as it was in 1950 despite increasing population?

Let's protect the house values of a few retirees so I can raise my kids in overcrowded housing?

How's about no. We are at something like 2% urban development in this country, we can afford to lose a bit more and build decent houses for people and jobs for them to go to. Earlsdon and Foleshill got subsumed into Coventry, that's how growth works.

Maybe if we didn't protect the green belt like we do we wouldn't end up with tiny idyllic villages and shit hole towns, maybe we could build towns people don't immediately want to move out of?

I'm an environmentalist, don't get me wrong, but the green belt is a sledgehammer to crack a nut IMO. You could do the same work with proper planning laws.
Planning laws have been relaxed for years. Villages have been multiplying in size in some places. But building houses in the countryside doesn't suddenly make slum areas nice. They have to be pulled down and then start again.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Yea fuck it. Lets go to Northampton instead.

Ultimately our move to the Ricoh led to our move to Northampton.

Had we never left Highfield Road it would never have happened.

If you want to attract fans back, it would need to be back in the heart of the city. Not that a new stadium will happen...

Astute

If you want to attract fans back, it would need to be back in the heart of the city. Not that a new stadium will happen...
We need a stadium that isn't too big, too small, easy parking without ripoff charges, easy to get to and somewhere within Coventry. And it needs to be ours.

It doesn't have to be in or near the City centre.

Grendel

It was to build on the styrip separating Coventry from baginton, wasn't it?

Guess tbf, we could build between Meriden and Coventry and Birmingham, and merge Coventry into Birmingham. To be expected with them so close to each other, after all...

Happening already - a huge housing development across Pickford green is plamned

Moff

We need a stadium that isn't too big, too small, easy parking without ripoff charges, easy to get to and somewhere within Coventry. And it needs to be ours.

It doesn't have to be in or near the City centre.

Careful you will make Fishers head spin with that wish list. Its taken him years to not find any land let alone plan a new stadium with his crayon set.

Astute

Careful you will make Fishers head spin with that wish list. Its taken him years to not find any land let alone plan a new stadium with his crayon set.
This was supposed to be a serious thread about a new stadium for our football club. Why mention Fisher?

the rumpo kid

If we ever get rid of sisu and if we ever get the council back on side . Morris common would be ideal . well inside the city . plenty of good transport links. Much closer to the city centre . easily big enough for a ground plus parking and maybe some shopping. Plus the old haley roe builders yard across the road (more parking) . if only.

Seamus1

Coventry airport would be a no go. I personally cannot see land on the site that would allow for both airport operations and a football stadium. Furthermore, the height of a stadium would pose problems for the navigation instruments for aircraft to land.

I also cannot see how the land would be suitable for a JLR factory, the way the land tapers at the end would not provide much use for a factory wanting to produce tens of thousands of cars per annum. Residents of baginton would also be in uproar at a factory being built at the baginton end of the site.

Grendel

So let's just live in a country as it was in 1950 despite increasing population?

Let's protect the house values of a few retirees so I can raise my kids in overcrowded housing?

How's about no. We are at something like 2% urban development in this country, we can afford to lose a bit more and build decent houses for people and jobs for them to go to. Earlsdon and Foleshill got subsumed into Coventry, that's how growth works.

Maybe if we didn't protect the green belt like we do we wouldn't end up with tiny idyllic villages and shit hole towns, maybe we could build towns people don't immediately want to move out of?

I'm an environmentalist, don't get me wrong, but the green belt is a sledgehammer to crack a nut IMO. You could do the same work with proper planning laws.

What a jealous little man you are

NortonSkyBlue

Much too simplistic, whether we should have moved can be debated but what can't be denied is that the club/stakeholders/owners have contributed to an absolute clusterfuck.
Anybody who finds the Ricoh an inconvenience should be reminded what the alternative is.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Mind, it would be good for top trumps.
Ricoh Arena Train Station? Pah, we've got our own airport...so stick that up yer pipe!

Otis

Ricoh Arena Train Station? Pah, we've got our own airport...so stick that up yer pipe!
Yeah and no-one will be trying to give Fisher abuse at the airport terminal platform, though some would still argue that he could have got a later plane.

Mcbean

would suit me or you sir but the Bubbenhall massive are slitting their wrists at the thought

Grendel

What a horrible little man you are

So you buy into his rhetoric do you. Screw the retirees who've worked all their lives, often in adversity, and provide handouts and benefits to an expectant generation who can't be bothered to pay their own way.

What a great society that's going to be

torchomatic

Its in Nimbyland Otis.
Warwick District Council would pretty much put a stop to it before plans had been drawn up.
The Airport never expanded due to WDC, and the Gateway project from Sir Peter Rigby was also rejected.
If one of the Midlands best Entrepreneurs cant get the Gateway completed there is no chance for Fisher and Co.

And it never expanded due to the nimbys in Stoneleigh and baginton.

fernandopartridge

If we ever get rid of sisu and if we ever get the council back on side . Morris common would be ideal . well inside the city . plenty of good transport links. Much closer to the city centre . easily big enough for a ground plus parking and maybe some shopping. Plus the old haley roe builders yard across the road (more parking) . if only.
You can't build on common land can you?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hobo

If it has planning permission for houses the land will be too valuable for a stadium.
I am only guessing....does anyone know what is happening on the Foleshill Rd brickworks site it is massive.

Astute

But we wouldn't be allowed to get on a plane until a couple of hours after the game.

Users who are viewing this thread