Cotterill slam's ref (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

cotterill-872728602.jpg

Portsmouth boss Steve Cotterill was highly critical of referee Dean Whitestone for his part in Pompey's 3-0 home defeat to Coventry City

Speaking to the Press Association, Cotterill said his side would be appealing the decision which saw Hayden Mullins sent off in the 68th minute of the game. A decision which did look harsh from our viewpoint from behind the goal as he was not the last man.

"There was no way we should have lost that game 3-0. But there was one obstacle we couldn't overcome, and it wasn't Coventry City," Cotterill said.

"It's very difficult. It's bad enough when you don't get one or two decisions, but when they come as thick and fast as that, it's very, very difficult for players not to get frustrated."

"(The Mullins incident) was not a penalty. It hit Hayden Mullins absolutely square on the thigh.

"It was belted at him, it hit him on the thigh and then it hit him on the hand. There is no way that is a penalty and a sending off.

"We will be appealing that very strongly with, I think, a rock-solid case. If anyone gets an opportunity, look at it on slow-mo or on Sky and you will see that should never have been a penalty."
He went on to say:

"Unfortunately it will say in tomorrow's papers Portsmouth 0 Coventry 3 and that's all anyone will be interested in.

I would be absolutely delighted and rubbing my hands if I was Andy Thorn on the way home. He will be loving it because he knows 3-0 flatters them."

rob9872

So pleased we didn't get this idiot. I had preferred him originally to AB and I know AB turned out not as we had all hoped but everytime I hear this troll speak I like him less.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
from what i heard on the radio the ref seemed to be even handed to both teams, didnt get everything right but neither did the players. Commentary thought sending off was harsh but I think Mr Cottrill is forgetting they were 2 nil down at that stage. Yes Pompey came into it later but CCFC relaxed a bit and Pompey upped their game because they felt hard done by.

Dont have a lot of sympathy because we have had enough bad luck with refs this season but overall it tends to even out over the campaign. Not complaining about such decisions was a trait i liked in AB, despite his football style

PUSB

Il Pirata

Ignore the fact his team was 2-0 down at that point and their strikers misfiring, must be the ref's fault.

rob9872

Heather Mills thinks so too

BenInTurin

Facebook User
another manager who always likes to blame the ref for his team's bad performances. Glad he's not att the city, it's what I liked about AB, always honest.

skybluetom

Has anybody seen the sending off on the telly? I've heard it was a stonewall penalty and red card and I've also heard it wasn't a pen (largely from Steve Cotterill and Pompey fans) and the lad shouldn't have gone off.

Nick

Administrator
I haven't seen it yet.

I hope he gets a fine though for his actions :)

I doubt it changed the game much as we were 2-0 up anyway!

Frostie

Seem to remember he claimed they bossed the game @ the Ricoh on opening day too despite it being arguably the easiest 3 points we have had all season!

Has moaned all season about his player shortage too despite signing Kitson & Lawrence on 20k per week each. How many players could they have signed with that? Anywhere between 6-10!

Delusional fool! :jerkit:

Macca

don't moan when we get bad decisions and happy to take it when we get them go our way. Cotterill ,its just the way it goes get over it

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Seem to remember he claimed they bossed the game @ the Ricoh on opening day too despite it being arguably the easiest 3 points we have had all season!

Has moaned all season about his player shortage too despite signing Kitson & Lawrence on 20k per week each. How many players could they have signed with that? Anywhere between 6-10!

Delusional fool! :jerkit:

Exactly my thoughts, well said that man! :claping hands:

Nonleagueherewecome

I've seen the incidents on telly twice now. Both were blatant pens and when you intentionaly handball like that on the line, you have to go. Blimey, what an idiot he is! Just making excuses. To his credit, Aidy was much more dignified when he had much, much greater cause for complaint.

TheRoyalScam

Stonewall penalty - Mullins sticks out his left arm to stop a certain goal - the ref had to give him a red card. Cotterill's talking bollocks - I hope they appeal and he gets an extended ban for 'frivolity'!

Nick

Administrator
Just seen it on the BBC, blatent handball on the line!

What a prick Cotterill is! Bad Loser!

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Seen highlights tonight and both were clear pens! Wonder if he would have said this if the decisions were the other way! This guy has proven in both interviews after playing us (amongst other im guessing too) that we were right to choose against getting him in as manager. He comes accross as a prized Prick IMO! And his voice would annoy me if I had to listen to it every pre / post match! I can just about tolerate Cockney so Thorn is OK for now! :D Atleast until we go on a dire run that is.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Just watched the match highlights.

Both were clear penalties. Mullins was standing on the line, the ball was hit from a good 6 yards away if it hit his thigh i would be surprised but in any case he made a clear movement with his arm which stopped the ball crossing the line. The ref got it spot on, no grounds for appeal (if they do it will get increased as it would be frivolous) and i can only assume Cottrill has eyesight problems !!!

Team well beaten on the night and Cottrill is a pathetically bad loser

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I really feel sorry for Steve Cotterill. I think he has a valid case and Portsmouth should win their appeal and ......... hang on ...... sorry lads .... gotta go - my nurse is coming around to give me my medication. If I don't take it I start talking gibberish.....

Coventry La La La

I really feel sorry for Steve Cotterill. I think he has a valid case and Portsmouth should win their appeal and ......... hang on ...... sorry lads .... gotta go - my nurse is coming around to give me my medication. If I don't take it I start talking gibberish.....

:laugh: Cotterill is such a :jerkit: I'm so glad we didn't appoint him.

AngryAnt

Can't see how they'd appeal that card.. He was on the line and made a clear movement to get the ball with his hand.
Sorry but thats a red card.. Ref got it spot on (makes a change us saying that).
They weren't 'coming back into the game', we'd just taken our foot off the gas since we were TWO NIL up at that point..

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I stand corrected! Im obviously not as educated as you! :D Well, I am now!

I can't believe you've never heard the word Frivolity! Also, did you know the word "gullible" has now been taken out of the English Dictionary?

Last edited:

TheRoyalScam

I stand corrected! Im obviously not as educated as you! :D Well, I am now!

No apology needed, sw88, it's a footie board - I see Cotterill's actually made a frivolous appeal which I hope he loses!

Users who are viewing this thread