Bit of Diy advice needed please (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Daz

A tile in our bathroom is pretty loose there's a slight gap in which I could probably put some sealant or adhesive in
Would this be the right thing to do
If so which sealant or adhesive would you recommend? Please be aware I'm shite at this sort of thing
Much obligied

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

The least you could be doing was digging a cellar or something.

Sticking a tile back on...? Even I can manage that! Tile adhesive, push into place.

If that doesn't work take the tile off, get rid of the old adhesive behind it, and then add new.

skybluetony176

Take it off. There's almost certainly moisture trapped behind it and this is most likely the reason it became loose in the first place. Don't be surprised if some more come of too but the trapped moisture is likely to be the root cause of the problem and will spread. Clean the old tile adhesive of the wall and tiles and get an hair dryer on the wall for a bit. Get a good quality tile adhesive and spread it on the back of the tiles with a 6mm notched trowel, it's better to spread the wall rather than the tiles but if your only replacing a couple of tiles you probably won't be able to get the trowel in the gap. Give it a good hour or so before grouting, get a decent sponge to wash off as it puts a much better finish on the grout lines and as soon as it's dry (maybe half an hour later) make sure you polish off with a dry cloth. This will take all the dried residue of the face of the tiles. Don't be tempted to leave it thinking you can wash it of later because you won't be able to.

Definitely don't just silicone around it leaving it in situ. All you'll do is trap the moisture and it will spread loosening even more tile's. You need to take the tile of and any subsequent tiles that come loose to find out what is going on behind them so you can nip the cause in the bud.

My guess is that there are cracks in the grout (especially common on stud walls) and that is letting moisture get behind the tiles.

mrtrench

I always take the same action for all DIY jobs - I hit it with a hammer.

Johnnythespider

Take it off. There's almost certainly moisture trapped behind it and this is most likely the reason it became loose in the first place. Don't be surprised if some more come of too but the trapped moisture is likely to be the root cause of the problem and will spread. Clean the old tile adhesive of the wall and tiles and get an hair dryer on the wall for a bit. Get a good quality tile adhesive and spread it on the back of the tiles with a 6mm notched trowel, it's better to spread the wall rather than the tiles but if your only replacing a couple of tiles you probably won't be able to get the trowel in the gap. Give it a good hour or so before grouting, get a decent sponge to wash off as it puts a much better finish on the grout lines and as soon as it's dry (maybe half an hour later) make sure you polish off with a dry cloth. This will take all the dried residue of the face of the tiles. Don't be tempted to leave it thinking you can wash it of later because you won't be able to.

Definitely don't just silicone around it leaving it in situ. All you'll do is trap the moisture and it will spread loosening even more tile's. You need to take the tile of and any subsequent tiles that come loose to find out what is going on behind them so you can nip the cause in the bud.

My guess is that there are cracks in the grout (especially common on stud walls) and that is letting moisture get behind the tiles.
I bet you iron your pants

Users who are viewing this thread