best games (1 Viewer)

Rodders1

Was that a midweek game during Black's time? If so I remember the west terrace being a great atmosphere and their keeper got really wound up he was challenging people about how much they earned.

In a similar vein I found the 1-0 win at HR against WBA that season really satisfying. We were struggling, as usual, and they were top of the league around christmas time and we won in the last minute with Johnnie Jackson's exquisite chip over the keeper.
Yes I enjoyed both of those games. The Preston game especially- we were on fire and Black would have got us back to the prem I'm sure of it.

Rodders1

The season we got relegated from the prem we beat Leicester 3-1 away. Absolutely loved it. Filbert street, Carsley bullet header, Hartson playing really well also. Away end had about 6 inches of water under foot also.

B-Ban-Boogie

I didn't get ticket for the 87 cup final but the semi-final 3-2 win over Leeds will stay with me forever!!
What a day that was!

Also, Coventry 3 v 4 Middlesbrough at Highfield Rd in the 88/89 season where Bernie Slaven AND David Speedie both grabbed hat-tricks.

Edit : Found it.

And most recently the whole experience of flying back from America for 3 days to watch the Checktrade final at Wembley.
Another amazing day!

Kingokings204

3-2 at home to man city in 2001 I think it was? Last minute winner was amazing. David Thompson what a player btw.

Checkatrade final win was a bit surreal but up there and man united away 2-0 in the league cup was just amazing. It was a strong team not matter how you dress it up and even it was he united under 11 I would of gone bat shit crazy.

PNE Clarke winner was just brilliant also.

Good memories.

Moff

Particular favourites are,

Cov 4 Liverpool 0 - Terry Gibson Hatrick and Nicky Platnauer
Cov 4 Spurs 3 - Regis scoring the winner in the last minute. Great header from Houchen for the first
Sheff Wed 1 Cov 3 - FA Cup Quarter final, great game, great atmosphere and great result
Cov 5 Liverpool 1- Bugsy and Micky Quinn double
Cov 3 Man Utd 2 - Huckerby's excellent winner
Villa 1 Cov 4 - Aloisi and Boateng doubles

Obviously the Cup Final as well and then finally for smug satisfaction our biggest top league win Cov 6 Sunderland 1 in April 1982

hopesprings

Ccfc 4 Spurs 3 1986-87 is a great shout-Cyrillie in the last minute.

Ccfc 5 Notts Forest 4 league cup from 1989? Steve Livingstone et al.

One from the more recent Ccfc 2 PNE 1 from the Johnstons paint trophy. Leon Clarke with the last kick off the game.
Loved the one against Forest great game Another favourite was league cup away at tottenham when they were top of league 2 and we won 3-2 I think Tommy Hutch !! fantastic

the rumpo kid

Liverpool 1 city 3 in the cup. also nuddy hat trick at anfield won 2_3.
Sheffield Wednesday 1 city 3 . (F.A. cup) I was in the leppings lane end that day on the left hand side looking at the pitch. God knows how I managed to get in that day, it was a disaster waiting to happen ( and we know it did) got to the top of the terrace just as we scored about 5 seconds later I was 2/3 down the terrace on the deck with what felt like the world standing on me. Scary but I wouldn't change a thing.

B-Ban-Boogie

Wow! You flew all the way from the States and I couldn't even get a train from Coventry.
haha.. due to budget, i had to do some serious travelling\changes though.

I started work at 5am on the Friday and the wife picked me up at 4pm that afternoon and we drove 2 hours to Orlando.
The overnight 9 hour flight landed at Gatwick Saturday morning.
Train to Cov with stops at Clapham Junction AND Watford.. get to Cov... on the lash all day Saturday
Woke at 6am Sunday, my cousin drives to a friends house in Ruislip (which was 5 stops east of Wembley)
We are on the ale from 10am and basically stay in the Fan park bit before the game.
My only regret was that I missed the Thomas goal as i was in the line for a beer when he scored..............dammit! lol.

Back to my mates house after, few beers and a quiet drive home.

Monday morning train back to London... stay the day to sight see and then down to Gatwick and flew back Tuesday morning with a long layover in Charlotte, NC.
Arrive in Orlando at 11pm Tuesday night, 2 hour drive home and i was sitting at my desk at 5am on Wednesday morning absolutely buzzing from Wembley.

Brilliant few days and i'd do it all again in a heartbeat if they got back to Wembley.
(I'm really hoping we get through to the 3rd round of the F.A Cup and get Tottenham for being at Wembley and because my mate in Ruislip is a Spurs fan.
Now that WOULD be a great day.).

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Huckerby again.........good tight control ....he's going all the way.......... is he going to finish.........he is .........a magnificent goal from Darren Huckerby
Cov 3 Man U 2 .

Last edited:

Cov kid 55

Sorry to be a bore, my top 10 games ( been thinking of posting these for a while), with some explanations.

1. Cov v Wolves 1967. 3-1 to City in the 'Midlands match of the century'. Who wouldn't feel privileged to have been there?
2. Wembley 1987. At the final whistle, I said to my wife 'I could die tonight a happy man'. Fortunately, I didn't!
3. Sunderland v Cov 1963. My first game, taken by my Sunderland supporting Grandad. A 2-1 win in the FA Cup 5th round. Massive crowd, great atmosphere.
4. Cov v Hartlepool April 1963. 5-4 to City. My first league game, with my dad, Main stand. My friend BBR's tells me that George Hudson made his debut in this game, and scored a hat trick. I can't remember much, apart from the score.
5. Cov v Everton 1985. Won 4-1 against the Champions, to stay in Division 1. Couldn't get into the home end, so sat with the scousers ( a few of us!) Oh, and my wife's first game!
6. Cov v Leeds 1987. 3-2 to City, FA Cup semi final. I didn't have a ticket, was living near Nottingham at the time, and drove up on spec. Went into the ticket office and a Cov fan sold me a spare ticket at face value. I repaid the favour by finding him a ticket for the final. This was almost as good a feeling as winning the final. At the final whistle, I felt really emotional - we were going to Wembley!
7. Cov v Ipswich 1969. Won 3-1, Boxing Day. My last game as a kid living in Coventry, as we moved two days later to rural South Norfolk, with my Dad's job. A week later, I started school in Suffolk, at Bungay Grammar, and walked into a load of Ipswich fans! Got some grief from a couple of Skinheads, told them that Hatchet was a mate, and they backed off!! I didn't know Hatchett, but I'd seen him in action!
8. Tottenham v Cov 1997. Won 2-1. Drove down from Northumberland on the day, and witnessed another great escape. Oggy brilliant, great goal from Dion. Spurs fans very gracious after the game. Drove back up the A1 and suffered horrendous abuse from Sunderland fans driving home from Wimbledon. Wonder why??
9. Sheffield Wednesday v Cov 1987. Won 3-1 quarter final FA Cup. A great performance, tremendous atmosphere, 15,000 Cov fans, standing in the Leppings Lane End, I guess we all thought back to the crush that day, a couple of years later.
10. Cov v Ipswich 1966. Won 5-0, a freezing cold Friday evening standing on the West End, and a first half hat trick for Bobby Gould. We had a new electronic score board, and the next morning the Daily Mirror showed a photograph of the 999 on the scoreboard, with the headline ' 999 but no help for Ipswich'.

Oh, and finally, I didn't go to Wembley this year, watched the final on an iPad in deepest darkest Wales! Felt so proud to see 43,000 Sky Blues fans enjoying themselves at Wembley. Could just a third of them turn up tomorrow, please?!

Thank you everyone, for allowing me to indulge myself!!

Sick Boy

What about that game against Preston, first half anyway, when we won 4-1. We were 4 nil up at half time and absolutely tore them apart.

Pretty sure that was the game where we played a long ball and their defender had about a 10 yard start on Julian Joachim and Joachim completely burned him. Think that was Bjarni Gudjonsson's best ever game for us too.

The Gillingham game a couple of years back was very similar too, but I just remember us being absolutely sensational in that Preston first half. Really had everyone out of their seat.

Yea I remember that, we did the same to Burnley a few days before that as well. I think we were 3.0 up within 10 mins. A young woman also flashed the west terrace.

Gazolba

April 1967, when we won the second division championship
Coventry 3 Wolves 1
(Gibson, Machin, Rees)
Attendance 51,452 (official)

CJ_covblaze

Beating Villa due to Keane and Roussel along with a Chippo masterclass. 2-4 win at the Hawthorns with 2 from Mifsud in his first game back following a suspension due to a red he got against them a few weeks before. 0-1 win at Cardiff where they battered us and Purse missed a last minute pen. The 3-2 and 0-2 v United. 4-0 v Forest with one of Huckerby’s two hatricks that week.

LastGarrison

Yea I remember that, we did the same to Burnley a few days before that as well. I think we were 3.0 up within 10 mins. A young woman also flashed the west terrace.
Was it Burnley I always thought it was Millwall then Preston we demolished?

Seem to remember it felt like Gudjonsson hung in the air for about 30 seconds before firing in a bullet header in front of the West Terrace.

I know there is a lot of misty eyedness about Blacks time in charge but those couple of games were some of the best football I had ever seen us play.

And then we got Peter Reid.

Otis

Was it Burnley I always thought it was Millwall then Preston we demolished?

Seem to remember it felt like Gudjonsson hung in the air for about 30 seconds before firing in a bullet header in front of the West Terrace.

I know there is a lot of misty eyedness about Blacks time in charge but those couple of games were some of the best football I had ever seen us play.

And then we got Peter Reid.
Yeah. One minute we were dancing and had champagne and oysters at the Ritz and the next we were scratting round the back of McDonald's bins searching for half-eaten chicken nuggets scraps and one last dribble of strawberry thick shake from crushed drinks cartons.

Polar

It was 3-2 not 2-1 but definitely one of the best games at the Ricoh

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ah yes, i remember now, it featured Murphy being wrong footed and the ball trickling in, then a rare Jennings goal, then didn't Beavon score for them?

Then it all went blurry and the Robins time game mechanics kicked in.

Seriously someone should do a stat on how many goals 90th minute plus goals we score under him. It's like every Fifa since 2009 sometimes, with landslide last minute goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJ_covblaze

Surprised the 4-3 against Man City hasn’t been mentioned. The team they had was ridiculous. Along with the Baggies in 07-08 they’re the best side we’ve faced in the league since PL relegation.

clint van damme

Sorry to be a bore, my top 10 games ( been thinking of posting these for a while), with some explanations.

1. Cov v Wolves 1967. 3-1 to City in the 'Midlands match of the century'. Who wouldn't feel privileged to have been there?
2. Wembley 1987. At the final whistle, I said to my wife 'I could die tonight a happy man'. Fortunately, I didn't!
3. Sunderland v Cov 1963. My first game, taken by my Sunderland supporting Grandad. A 2-1 win in the FA Cup 5th round. Massive crowd, great atmosphere.
4. Cov v Hartlepool April 1963. 5-4 to City. My first league game, with my dad, Main stand. My friend BBR's tells me that George Hudson made his debut in this game, and scored a hat trick. I can't remember much, apart from the score.
5. Cov v Everton 1985. Won 4-1 against the Champions, to stay in Division 1. Couldn't get into the home end, so sat with the scousers ( a few of us!) Oh, and my wife's first game!
6. Cov v Leeds 1987. 3-2 to City, FA Cup semi final. I didn't have a ticket, was living near Nottingham at the time, and drove up on spec. Went into the ticket office and a Cov fan sold me a spare ticket at face value. I repaid the favour by finding him a ticket for the final. This was almost as good a feeling as winning the final. At the final whistle, I felt really emotional - we were going to Wembley!
7. Cov v Ipswich 1969. Won 3-1, Boxing Day. My last game as a kid living in Coventry, as we moved two days later to rural South Norfolk, with my Dad's job. A week later, I started school in Suffolk, at Bungay Grammar, and walked into a load of Ipswich fans! Got some grief from a couple of Skinheads, told them that Hatchet was a mate, and they backed off!! I didn't know Hatchett, but I'd seen him in action!
8. Tottenham v Cov 1997. Won 2-1. Drove down from Northumberland on the day, and witnessed another great escape. Oggy brilliant, great goal from Dion. Spurs fans very gracious after the game. Drove back up the A1 and suffered horrendous abuse from Sunderland fans driving home from Wimbledon. Wonder why??
9. Sheffield Wednesday v Cov 1987. Won 3-1 quarter final FA Cup. A great performance, tremendous atmosphere, 15,000 Cov fans, standing in the Leppings Lane End, I guess we all thought back to the crush that day, a couple of years later.
10. Cov v Ipswich 1966. Won 5-0, a freezing cold Friday evening standing on the West End, and a first half hat trick for Bobby Gould. We had a new electronic score board, and the next morning the Daily Mirror showed a photograph of the 999 on the scoreboard, with the headline ' 999 but no help for Ipswich'.

Oh, and finally, I didn't go to Wembley this year, watched the final on an iPad in deepest darkest Wales! Felt so proud to see 43,000 Sky Blues fans enjoying themselves at Wembley. Could just a third of them turn up tomorrow, please?!

Thank you everyone, for allowing me to indulge myself!!

game No 8 against Spurs was probably the most amazing footballing experience I've ever had. The tension was incredible and didn't subside at half time as we kept an eye on the boro and mackems game.
The outpouring of emotion at the end from the players and fans, tears, jubilation, relief!!
However, with hindsight, I think if we'd gone down that day the club would not be in the trouble.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Beating Chelsea 3-2 opening game of the season 97/98

Beating villa in the fa cup, Mmmmmooolllldddaaaaavvvvaaaannnnnnnnn

Beating Arsenal 3-2 on Boxing Day Keane scoring a beautiful goal

skyblue025

Watford at home in the league cup run in 80-81 season saw me go to my first night game aged 10. Dad would never take me due to the amount of trouble back then. Peter Bodak had a great game ripped their left back to pieces time and again. 5:0 win and dad promised to take me too Wembley. Semi final at home to West Ham. Les Sealey let the simplest of saves squirm under his body. Being squashed at the front against the fencing of the the west terrance I remember thinking "lucky no one noticed that" as Sealey pulled it back from 6" over the line. Unfortunately the lino had noticed Gary Thompson scores an own goal and for the first time I got the feeling of dread watching the City. We were 2 nil down after 15 min. My Wembley dream gone and tears streaming down my face, I was inconsolable. My dad was about 10 rows back with his mates but I couldn't get to him. A young lady ( Good looking) of about 17-18 was next to me and tried to cheer me up with a hug and she gave me a Cherry Drop followed by the words " Don't worry we will win" Well she was right, we did win with Gerry Daly scoring and then a brace from Gary Thompson. I pleaded with my dad for him to take me to 2nd leg but wasn't allowed to go, listening to it on my dad's big stereo with his big ear phones on. We got knocked out with a goal 9 seconds from the end by Jimmy Neighbour. I ran upstairs to bed sobbing uncontrollably with my Wembley dream gone. What a team we had then. 6 or 7 of them played international football for the home nations before foreign players became the norm. Every time I see Cherry Drops now I think of that girl.

Irish Sky Blue

Watford at home in the league cup run in 80-81 season saw me go to my first night game aged 10. Dad would never take me due to the amount of trouble back then. Peter Bodak had a great game ripped their left back to pieces time and again. 5:0 win and dad promised to take me too Wembley. Semi final at home to West Ham. Les Sealey let the simplest of saves squirm under his body. Being squashed at the front against the fencing of the the west terrance I remember thinking "lucky no one noticed that" as Sealey pulled it back from 6" over the line. Unfortunately the lino had noticed Gary Thompson scores an own goal and for the first time I got the feeling of dread watching the City. We were 2 nil down after 15 min. My Wembley dream gone and tears streaming down my face, I was inconsolable. My dad was about 10 rows back with his mates but I couldn't get to him. A young lady ( Good looking) of about 17-18 was next to me and tried to cheer me up with a hug and she gave me a Cherry Drop followed by the words " Don't worry we will win" Well she was right, we did win with Gerry Daly scoring and then a brace from Gary Thompson. I pleaded with my dad for him to take me to 2nd leg but wasn't allowed to go, listening to it on my dad's big stereo with his big ear phones on. We got knocked out with a goal 9 seconds from the end by Jimmy Neighbour. I ran upstairs to bed sobbing uncontrollably with my Wembley dream gone. What a team we had then. 6 or 7 of them played international football for the home nations before foreign players became the norm. Every time I see Cherry Drops now I think of that girl.
I was in the West End for that game too. I had got in nice and early to get a good place to stand as being 5' -9" and standing on the shallow West End steps I knew that in a big crowd I would struggle to see. I chose to stand behind a barrier on the part of the terrace that was above the passage between the West End and the Main Stand. I was looking straight across at the goal and as the terrace started to fill up I was feeling pleased with myself as I had a great vantage point. About an hour before kick off several police officers arrived and told us that we would have to move across under the West Stand as they were bringing in some West Ham fans to stand there. I couldn't believe it but had no choice but to be shunted sideways with every other City fan who had chosen to stand there, into the rapidly filling centre part of the West End. The West Ham fans were herded in with a line of police separating them from the City fans on their left. I don't know why this happened, you couldn't see it happening today. Anyway, it was a great game with a great atmosphere but I must admit I saw more action on the telly when I got home that night than I did in the ground.

Johnnythespider

Has anybody mentioned the West ham league cup semi final, what a night that was. Something like 37,000 packed into HR, I was an excited 16 year old on the West terrace. The game had it all, I remember the second leg I was listening on the radio while my girlfriend of the day was pissed off with me because I was ignoring her, that's been the story of my life, gutted with the final 5-4 aggregate loss but the first leg will be with me forever unlike the girl
Edit: 4-3 on aggregate

Last edited:

Hobo

I'm not a very prolific poster but I enjoy reading all the letters on here. I have been watching City for 40 years and thought I would spend a bit of time with pen & paper jotting down my best games. Here they are gents

1. CCFC 4 Tottenham 3 1986/1987
2. CCFC 6 Derby 2 2004/2005
3. Tottenham 2 CCFC 3 1996/1997
4. CCFC 3 Tottenham 2 1986/1987
5. CCFC 5 Norwich 4 1977/1978
6. CCFC 3 West Ham 2 1980/1981

Leeds v CCFC FA Cup Semi
CCFC v Man Utd coming g from behind Huckerby winner (we have had some great results against Man Utd especially at Old Trafford).
CCFC v Ipswich..top team in the day, they wanted to buy Ferguson and he just smashed in the goals.
CCFC v Liverpool 4-0 wasn't it ?

mds

Another one im sure i posted a while back that always sticks with me, remembered the gate (38000) and team but not the competition, CCFC 2 WBA 2 FAcup 3rd round at HR, had to look it up to be sure, as i remembered it we should of won by a fair few they had Tony Godden in goal 5ft nothing and playing out of his skin, pretty sure he made an amazing one handed save from a Wallace bicycle kick that would of been a goal 99 out of 100 at any other time (maybe im mixing games up), one of the best atmospheres against a team in its prime and playing ridiculously well.

CovKid73

Well...... Not sure any mentions for Cov v Villa 88/89 season - 2-1 if I remember correctly, first time since 1937.

And Stockport v Cov 0-2, our first game after the drop - don't think I was alone in thinking we'd walk the division and be back up in time to enjoy the 2002 World Cup with a feeling of satisfaction.....

Bennosdancingfeet

Ccfc 5 -1 Liverpool
Ccfc 5-4 forest league cup
Ccfc 3-0 villa
Wednesday 1-3 ccfc (87 QF)
Ccfc 3-0 Rotherham United, rumbelows cup and my first ever game.

pusbccfc

Haven't seen a lot of good in the decade or so that I have been following city tbh.

But one of my favourite memories weirdly is the 3-1 away victory against Stevenage in our first season in league one. It was really a nothing game.
But the atmosphere that day and the turnaround just one game of the few games I have actually really enjoyed.

One of my favourite away games ever, that. Coventry rarely come from behind to win, so doing it in the way we did was incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread