Ben Stevenson - Brentford (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

I know. We should have hung on for that £35 million for Bigi

So because one poster once overrated a player we should sell everyone for any price?

What? Do you even logic?

robbiekeane

Big difference between choosing from all possible players and picking from a selection given by a particular team though.

Frankly Id rather the cash and we spent it on another Jones or Lamerias who might come good than loaning some kid who is no better than what we've got because we are desperate to get the sale done.
Bahaha pleaassseee give us another Lameiras

torchomatic

I'm still stunned only Brentford have shown interest!

Really? I'm surprised anyone has. I know he's a good player but he has years in his development to go yet.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I agree, I'm not surprised there hasn't been a massive amount of interest but that's also why I think selling him at the moment is madness.
I real feel his value is going to increase over the next season or two.

This is what I don't get is the end for sisu approaching or am I being too hopeful!?

higgs

Maddison should have stayed with us for another season he could of been a legend

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Grendel

So because one poster once overrated a player we should sell everyone for any price?

What? Do you even logic?

No the point is we made a killing on a player worth nothing, so great business.

higgs

Hope we get one or two man mountains from Brentford in return. We tried playing youngsters in this league and it backfired time to get some brutes in now and battle our way out of league one

chiefdave

How many of our academy graduates who have left have 'made it'? Struggling to think of anyone apart from Wilson.

Covstu

Hope we get one or two man mountains from Brentford in return. We tried playing youngsters in this league and it backfired time to get some brutes in now and battle our way out of league one

Agree we need some bigger stronger centre halves but some decent wingers would be great

Great_Expectations

It definitely seems too early in this career, both from a personal perspective and, from a club angle, a selling value.

Saying that, if he is going to go at this stage, he could do a lot worse than Dean Smith who has a great reputation for developing youngsters and is well liked for it.

I hope SISU don't cave and at least try to get the best deal they can. I appreciate we are a selling club, but it would make it an easier pill to swallow if we at least get good value for the player we are losing.

Equally the whole sarcasm around "mighty Brentford" is annoying, they are in a higher division than us with a larger budget. In a players (or agents) mind it is a progressive step.

dongonzalos

How many of our academy graduates who have left have 'made it'? Struggling to think of anyone apart from Wilson.

Depends what you define as made it?
Cyrus isn't doing too bad for himself.
Ben Turner and Davenport didn't do too bad originally.
Maddison was signed by Norwich for the future so I wouldn't judge him just yet.
Who else moved on to bigger things who came out if our academy?
Mcsheffry did alright for himself as well?

Last edited:

chiefdave

Christie has done well.
So Wilson who made 55 appearances before leaving and Christie who made 119. Just adds to the argument that they are better off staying and getting games under their belt.

Edit: same again isn't it. The players who have gone n and made a career at Championship / PL level playing a decent amount of games (50+) before leaving.

Happy_Martian

Didn't Chris Kirkland come from the academy ? He's still playing in and around the Championship

Chipfat

Soon as the player hears from his agent that interest is being shown they are off, these are younger players that want the bright lights and money before thinking of developing a career. Agents are master manipulates and will fill the players heads with all sorts of promises of what is to come. They will talk to each other and get deals done that helps everyone get paid. Stevenson, Maddison and Harries will all tell you they want to stay and develop at the club but in reality the pull and money is too strong. The agent then does not care about a career path, he is worried about the next transfer or deal he can create and his clients next contract.

Agents take 20% of most players earnings so its a decent living and will have worked on these kids for a long time never mind the kids parents. Its sad most kids don't spend the time to develop at a club they have been at, but business dictates a different path for a lot of them. Just look at us we have seen more than a few go and earn great money and play at a higher level and for this reason alone, making it has already been accomplished.

joemercersaces

It definitely seems too early in this career, both from a personal perspective and, from a club angle, a selling value.

Saying that, if he is going to go at this stage, he could do a lot worse than Dean Smith who has a great reputation for developing youngsters and is well liked for it.

I hope SISU don't cave and at least try to get the best deal they can. I appreciate we are a selling club, but it would make it an easier pill to swallow if we at least get good value for the player we are losing.

Equally the whole sarcasm around "mighty Brentford" is annoying, they are in a higher division than us with a larger budget. In a players (or agents) mind it is a progressive step.

How annoying that someone who supported this club since 1969 in the top flight, saw European football once (would have been twice but for Heysel), saw us win the FA Cup, saw us signing Robbie Keane, Dion Dublin, Gary McAllister, Craig Bellamy and Mustapha Hadji, stood in crowds over 30,000 regularly, finds it annoying that we now get picked over by the mighty Brentford. I'll take note and try not to annoy you again.

fernandopartridge

How annoying that someone who supported this club since 1969 in the top flight, saw European football once (would have been twice but for Heysel), saw us win the FA Cup, saw us signing Robbie Keane, Dion Dublin, Gary McAllister, Craig Bellamy and Mustapha Hadji, stood in crowds over 30,000 regularly, finds it annoying that we now get picked over by the mighty Brentford. I'll take note and try not to annoy you again.
Yes but things change. Somebody who watched football in 1950 may have found Coventry City winning the cup in 1987 unbelievable.
The game doesn't stand still and while we're in decline Brentford are in the best spell of their history, aided by a wealthy backer of course.

Brylowes

Yes but things change. Somebody who watched football in 1950 may have found Coventry City winning the cup in 1987 unbelievable.
The game doesn't stand still and while we're in decline Brentford are in the best spell of their history, aided by a wealthy backer of course.
That's very true, it's still annoying though.

Gazolba

There's really not much future for British players at all. Just look at the Premier League, hardly any British players. When the entire rest of the World can be poached for players, what chance do players from a tiny Island like ours have? I see Callum Wilson can hardly get a game now and has scored just 3 goals all season.

Brylowes

There's really not much future for British players at all. Just look at the Premier League, hardly any British players. When the entire rest of the World can be poached for players, what chance do players from a tiny Island like ours have? I see Callum Wilson can hardly get a game now and has scored just 3 goals all season.
He's been injured though hasn't he ?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Wilson has appeared in 17 out of 20 premier league matches this season. 15 of them have been starts.

He's also scored 6 goals.

So he plays on a regular basis and has twice the number of goals.

Paul O Donoghue

Wilson notched his sixth of the season tonight..penalties most of them and he is struggling to be honest. Cut your teeth in lower leagues first before being sold on. Agents are destroying football to be honest. No real need for them. Players being sold like racehorses and greyhounds.

Astute

Anyone watching us now will find it unbelievable.

ecky

Sisu don't want to get out of this league

ecky

Chippo Noel whelan huckerby etc etc

Sky Blue Kid

Big difference between choosing from all possible players and picking from a selection given by a particular team though.

Frankly Id rather the cash and we spent it on another Jones or Lamerias who might come good than loaning some kid who is no better than what we've got because we are desperate to get the sale done.
And look where that has got us Martha!

Users who are viewing this thread