Anyone who drives down to London, but parks outside and gets a tube in? (1 Viewer)

Otis

We always go on the train, but on Sunday we have to probably be in London for around 7 a.m. and there's no trains then.

Does anyone drive down and park on the outskirts and then get a tube in? And if so, where do you park?

We have to go to Lambeth Bridge.

Nick

Administrator
I went to Edgware and got the tube in, there was a bit ASDA or something for £5 a day. Straight down M1

J

Jack Griffin

I've done it b4, but ISTR it was hard to find a parking place even on the outskirts, I'd say you need to research a destination car park (and a fall back in case) before setting off!

Sick Boy

Meant to say that Finchley tube/station has got a car park that is cheap as well; it may even have been free when I did it.

chiefdave

Where do you need to get to in London? Hillingdon is normally pretty easy to park at. Straight down the M40. Or Barnet if you need to be on the Northern Line

stupot07

We usually drive down, park and get the tube into London from Stanmore. Decent size car park and relatively cheap IIRC. It's literally just off the m1 near the junction to the m25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

Houdi

Stanmore, just of the M1,then tube straight into central London. Big car park at tube station, or you can often park nearby for free on a Sunday I believe.

Terry Gibson's perm

Stanmore but I used Edgware for the cup game at Aresnal a couple of years ago

Otis

Where do you need to get to in London? Hillingdon is normally pretty easy to park at. Straight down the M40. Or Barnet if you need to be on the Northern Line
Lambeth Bridge. The clue was in the OP. ;)

Actually have to be on Lambeth Bridge.

Otis

Yeah, cheers. It's all part buses or tubes that might not get me there in time though unfortunately.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Otis

No tube til 7 am unfortunately. Before that it is two buses and an hour 5 mins journey, which is ridiculous.

Might have to drive all the way in.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Otis

Can't get a tube early enough though.

Might have to be on Lambeth Bridge at 7am.

NorthernWisdom

Other option is get a train from Leamington or Warwick(?) to Reading, then one to Waterloo?

Seems direct trains from Reading to Waterloo are sporadic!

Might be worth seeing if a mainline train would get you anywhere close though.

Otis

Other option is get a train from Leamington or Warwick(?) to Reading, then one to Waterloo?
No trains either though from I can see. Crazily enough, first train from Coventry is 8.43.

Sometimes I wonder if this is the 21st century.

Otis

First train from Reading is at 6 and doesn't get into Waterloo until 8.05.

Sunday in the UK is closed!!!

Will have to drive all the way. Only trouble is I don't know how long you can park for, on street.

Otis

I will need to park for 9 and half hours. Not sure if meter parking won't have a maximum duration.

I looked at Lambeth borough council's website and it says look at the display disc on the meter to see time restrictions!

How good is that if you're not going down until the day!

NorthernWisdom

Ah, hadn't noticed the *Sunday* at 7am!

Drive man, drive. It's the one chance you'll ever have to do that run relatively stress free!

FWIW when I lived in London a friend of mine said walk around the city Sunday morning to get your bearings. She was right, it was the ideal time to see things you never get to see when everyone's hurrying by.

Otis

Ah, hadn't noticed the *Sunday* at 7am!

Drive man, drive. It's the one chance you'll ever have to do that run relatively stress free!

FWIW when I lived in London a friend of mine said walk around the city Sunday morning to get your bearings. She was right, it was the ideal time to see things you never get to see when everyone's hurrying by.
True. I will have 9 and half hours to kill while my daughter is filming, so plenty of time to see and do things.

Guessing we might just be able to park on the street close by.

The galling thing is, we were in London yesterday. Right by Lambeth Bridge!! Could have checked it out if we had known.

Otis

Plenty of time to move your car somewhere else if you have to, as well.
True, but wanted to go wandering off all over the place and maybe do the museums again.

Looks like play it by ear! I am just very much an organisational type and I like to know exactly where I am going in advance.

It's an age thing, cos I used to be very spontaneous.

Will just see how close I can park!

chiefdave

You might be better off driving in, dropping off your daughter and then driving back out to park up at the tube. By then the tube should be running and you won't get stuck in London traffic when you leave.

Otis

You might be better off driving in, dropping off your daughter and then driving back out to park up at the tube. By then the tube should be running and you won't get stuck in London traffic when you leave.
Yeah, true. Good call actually.

If I can park on the streets nearby though, I might just go for that.

Otis

The nutty thing is, as I say, we were in Lambeth North yesterday and we actually looked at a meter and saw it was £4.80 and hour and commented on it. This was just a few hundred yards away from Lambeth Bridge!

Wish now I had paid more attention. Think meter spaces are free on Sundays I believe, well some of them at least anyway.

kapowaz

No option of getting the train down the night before and staying over in a cheap B&B / AirBnB / Travelodge?

Users who are viewing this thread