Anyone else ever get fleeting moments of glory? (1 Viewer)

Otis

But you are then very quickly deflated again within seconds.

Double whammy for me today.

My parents are both 86 and my dad insists on buying lottery tickets for all the family, nieces, granddaughters and me.

Sometimes he gives me the tickets, but usually he retains them himself for us all and he checks the results. He always makes a note and writes all the numbers down for each ticket for everyone on a little scrap of paper too.

Anyway, my mum and dad are always in bed by about 9.30 and they never, ever ring me past 8 pm.

Tonight I get a phone call at 9.50 from my mum. Has to be either really bad news, or really good news. They would never ring so late unless it was either. Never, ever would.

So, mum rings, I answer and I ask what the matter is and she says, 'you've won the lottery!'

'What?!!?' says I. 'How much?'

'£25!' she says proud as punch. :( I know we never usually win anything anyway, but 9.50 pm and me expecting a death or a jackpot. :(

Just a few seconds there with a fleeting moment of glory.

Trouble is, this is the second time in two days, though I did clock the first one yesterday pretty niftyish.

My dad gave me a Euro millions lucky dip yesterday, as I actually physically met my parents in town.

When I got home though I couldn't find the ticket he gave. This morning therefore, I rang my parents to ask if my dad could give me the numbers for my ticket.

Spoke to my mum and I heard Dad reeling off the numbers in the background. Wrote them all down, including the two millionaire raffle thingy, two one million prizes each.

Anyway, armed with the numbers I immediately go on the lottery website to check the winning numbers. I check them one by one against the numbers my dad gave and I had every number, the jackpot! £136m! (Well the thought entered my head for a second or two anyway).

I thought to myself 'this can't be right. ' I checked again and I had all the numbers. I then quickly checked the two raffle prizes too.

Lo and behold I had also 'won' a million on each ticket there too. The Euro Millions jackpot AND two millionaire raffle jackpots as well!!

My dad had only given me the winning lottery numbers, rather than my own lucky dip numbers. :(

Only a fleeting second, but I hate those moments.

Anyone else had that few seconds of glory or euphoria, before being brought down to earth with a bump?

Otis

It's like the gorgeous girl staring at you across the nightclub dancefloor, before you then realising 10 seconds later she is actually giving the eye to the bloke behind.

Otis

I remember our next door neighbours winning the Pools.

It was something like £50,000, but that was a hell of a lot of money back then. Am talking about 40 years ago or more.

They danced around the tables and hugged and gave out a yelp of joy, before then glancing across to find they had left the coupon by the clock on the mantelpiece and had never submitted it.

Talk about joy to despair in an instant!! From thoughts of caviar and sipping cocktails in the Caribbean, to the reality of beans on toast and a mug of tea back in the real world just seconds later.

Ranjit Bhurpa

But you are then very quickly deflated again within seconds.

Double whammy for me today.

My parents are both 86 and my dad insists on buying lottery tickets for all the family, nieces, granddaughters and me.

Sometimes he gives me the tickets, but usually he retains them himself for us all and he checks the results. He always makes a note and writes all the numbers down for each ticket for everyone on a little scrap of paper too.

Anyway, my mum and dad are always in bed by about 9.30 and they never, ever ring me past 8 pm.

Tonight I get a phone call at 9.50 from my mum. Has to be either really bad news, or really good news. They would never ring so late unless it was either. Never, ever would.

So, mum rings, I answer and I ask what the matter is and she says, 'you've won the lottery!'

'What?!!?' says I. 'How much?'

'£25!' she says proud as punch. :( I know we never usually win anything anyway, but 9.50 pm and me expecting a death or a jackpot. :(

Just a few seconds there with a fleeting moment of glory.

Trouble is, this is the second time in two days, though I did clock the first one yesterday pretty niftyish.

My dad gave me a Euro millions lucky dip yesterday, as I actually physically met my parents in town.

When I got home though I couldn't find the ticket he gave. This morning therefore, I rang my parents to ask if my dad could give me the numbers for my ticket.

Spoke to my mum and I heard Dad reeling off the numbers in the background. Wrote them all down, including the two millionaire raffle thingy, two one million prizes each.

Anyway, armed with the numbers I immediately go on the lottery website to check the winning numbers. I check them one by one against the numbers my dad gave and I had every number, the jackpot! £136m! (Well the thought entered my head for a second or two anyway).

I thought to myself 'this can't be right. ' I checked again and I had all the numbers. I then quickly checked the two raffle prizes too.

Lo and behold I had also 'won' a million on each ticket there too. The Euro Millions jackpot AND two millionaire raffle jackpots as well!!

My dad had only given me the winning lottery numbers, rather than my own lucky dip numbers. :(

Only a fleeting second, but I hate those moments.

Anyone else had that few seconds of glory or euphoria, before being brought down to earth with a bump?
Mine is money related too Otis......having joined BL in the late seventies as an improverished teenager, I started buying tickets at 25p I think for the monthly employee prize draw. There were 10 prizes each month ranging from £1,000 to £50. Every quarter they put a BL car up for top prize so you can imagine each draw was well subscribed and the chances of winning were next to chuff all.

Anyway, I got an internal call from Personnel Dept informing me I hadn't claimed my prize from the draw one particular month. When I asked how much, she put me on hold to go and find out. Thinking that they would only ring up the top prize winners, I was already thinking of how to spend a serious amount of money or ponce around in a brand new Mini 1000.

After a couple of minutes hanging on for her, imagine the let down when she told me it was fifty quid. Still a tidy sum back then but not quite what I had in mind.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Yes
I ask the lady in the newsagents to check my euromillions ticket a while back she got dead excited saying"oh my god your a winner, your a winner"
I had my resignation letter sorted already bought the house in Spain and my country retreat in the highlands of Scotland for winter with a massive open fire and well stocked wine cellar

I won £7

I was gonna give it to the woman

Ranjit Bhurpa

Last one from me tonight.... about 30 years ago we were round the mother in laws one Saturday for tea. She did the Pools week in week out without winning so much as a brass farthing. She starts getting excited as she has 7 draws up and is waiting on a late kick off to finish.
The late kick off involved Notts County and the last score we had heard was 1-1. With the mother in law originating from Nottingham, we thought it was destiny. Ten to five, then five to five and still no result. Bearing in mind there was only Final Score and World of Sport back then, she was switching between the two every 10 seconds or so and chain smoking Players Navy Cut. Finally as the programme was going off air, Des Lynam told us that County had scored a last minute goal to win 2-1.

Talk about a stunned silence. She still won a few quid bless her but nowhere near the fortune a draw would have paid out.

Gazolba

I don't know if this qualifies but years ago I had this girlfriend who liked to cook and considered herself a bit of a gourmet chef. One weekend, I thought I would surprise her by baking some special cakes. I bought all the ingredients and followed the recipe exactly and they turned out great. I took them over to her house and she was pleasantly surprised when I presented them to her. I was filled with euphoria as this was the first time I had made anyone anything and now I was going to show her she was not the only one with talents in the kitchen. However, when she tried the first cake, one look at her anguished expression told me they were not a success. It turned out I had used baking soda instead of baking powder, thinking they were the same thing. They were completely and utterly inedible. I never dared make her anything again.

Otis

I was crazy about a girl once. First time I met her I was immediately enchanted by her, but I was going out with someone else at the time.

We became very, very good friends though, but all the time I still remained crazy about her.

After three years I finally got her to go out with me. We had one date and spent a wonderful evening together. We kissed at the end of the night and as she pulled away, the last thing she said to me following the kiss was 'Well that felt right!' We hugged and she drive off home.

Was over the moon and so thrilled and full of amour, like a lovesick puppy.

Next morning she sent me a message 'this isn't going to work.'

:(

trevelfarandwide

Nothing like the Lottery to send you into a spiral of gloom...

About 10 years ago, my dad was a regular lottery player, but he's not the brightest spark it must be said - so, Saturday night, he phones me up: 'Marc, Marc, holy fookin' sheet, I've won the bleedin' jackpotttttt!!'' So, the usual whooping and celebrating ensued, with him promising me a cool £1 mil of the £5 mil win, oooh I was spending it in my head within seconds...so the call ends, and I'm on cloud 9.

5 minutes later the phone goes again...''Hang on lad, nope, uhhh, only got 4 numbers...shit...yeah, 4 numbers, but y'can still have a bit.'' Ugggh, ok, never mind, I thought. Still a few hundred quid maybe.

2 minutes later...''Uhhh, fook, dahhh...2 numbers, lad. Fook it. Was looking at the wrong results. Bastard Ceefax.''

Turns out he hadn't actually got a single number, three calls later.

So yeah, deflate-city. Bollocks.

Otis

I remember a lad I used to work with doing a Daily Mirror competition.

It was a simple question and you had to phone your answer through. They then picked one random right answer out of a hat.

Anyway, this guy came to me to check he had got the answer right (it was a completely obviously dumb question). I confirmed he got it right and he then suddenly started doing a jig in my office believing he had won the competition because he had phoned in and he had got the answer right.

He was an idiot.

Johnnythespider

I remember getting a letter from the pools once, my heart was beating a little faster as I opened it to see I'd won the princely sum of £25.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Otis

I won a prize in the Today newspaper's competition.

First prize was £20,000 and a luxury holiday.

When I opened the letter to say I won though, it was just a satellite dish as a consolation prize.

Gazolba

I was crazy about a girl once. First time I met her I was immediately enchanted by her, but I was going out with someone else at the time.

We became very, very good friends though, but all the time I still remained crazy about her.

After three years I finally got her to go out with me. We had one date and spent a wonderful evening together. We kissed at the end of the night and as she pulled away, the last thing she said to me following the kiss was 'Well that felt right!' We hugged and she drive off home.

Was over the moon and so thrilled and full of amour, like a lovesick puppy.

Next morning she sent me a message 'this isn't going to work.'

:(
You should have taken the cigar out of your mouth before you kissed her.

dancers lance

I had a early 60's Mark 1 mini van in the late 90's (number 128 off the production line) it was mint and had only done 24k from new, it even had a metal badge inside from Gosford Motors where it was bought new. It had the number plate TVR 69 and I used to get loads of offers for it, anyway, I accepted a great offer from a guy I new (thinking I was well in the cash) but when I spoke to the DVLA I was told it was non transferable and had to stay on the car. About 2 weeks later it was stolen buy a scrap dealer, weighed in and crushed (he got £30.00 for it from a well known local scrap merchants), they are selling for about £40k now.

Gazolba

At Caludon, I won a school prize for French. We picked out our own prizes, mine was a book. But you had to wait for the presentation ceremony to actually receive it. They called your name and then you went on the stage to be presented with the prize. This was the first and only thing I ever won at school so I was pretty proud. They glued a sticker inside the first page with what the prize was for, your name, and the date. After I got back to my seat, I opened the book and saw that they had spelt my name wrong. It totally ruined the experience.

vow

Dunno about a fleeting moment and i'm not complaining too much.......but, we got 5 numbers on the Lottery....£2100....about 12 years ago.
The first number on the next line was the bonus ball, 6, would have netted us £81,000.
So close yet so far! :D

Bumberclart

I remember in my early 30's being in a club, and a stunning girl in her early 20's kept staring at me and smiling.
After a while I plucked up the courage to ask her if she wanted a drink. She replied, 'oh I'm sorry, I was only staring at you because you look just like my dad'!
Bubble burst!

Users who are viewing this thread