Transfer Rumour Alan Browne (85 Viewers)

Saddlebrains

Back to Alan Browne. I saw somewhere on here that he was reputedly on £15k per week at Preston but is supposed t have been offered more to stay. Is it not feasible for us to compete with that? It would cost us more than that to keep COH

If we cant compete with 15k a week yet Dougs wanting play offs minimum we should give up now

Mucca Mad Boys

Back to Alan Browne. I saw somewhere on here that he was reputedly on £15k per week at Preston but is supposed t have been offered more to stay. Is it not feasible for us to compete with that? It would cost us more than that to keep COH

It’s not just wages though, there’s things like contract length to address. In the short term, Browne would be a fantastic signing over the next 1-3 seasons. If we want to be in the Prem in the next few years a longer term contract might make more sense for PNE to offer rather than ourselves.

Again, we’re not flush with money so if a target is outside our price range, we just need to move on.

Overpaying on just a few thousand here on wages, or hundreds of thousands/millions there on transfer fees is a sure way to end up like Derby, Blues or teams that have overspent in recent years.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

If we cant compete with 15k a week yet Dougs wanting play offs minimum we should give up now
If he’s on 15k per week now and has been offered a ‘record contract’, we’re not competing with 15k per week, are we?

He’ll be a good signing if we get it over the line, but if PNE want to desperately keep him and throw money at him, leave them to it.

Grendel

It’s not just wages though, there’s things like contract length to address. In the short term, Browne would be a fantastic signing over the next 1-3 seasons. If we want to be in the Prem in the next few years a longer term contract might make more sense for PNE to offer rather than ourselves.

Again, we’re not flush with money so if a target is outside our price range, we just need to move on.

Overpaying on just a few thousand here on wages, or bunds of thousands/millions there on transfer fees is a sure way to end up like Derby, Blues or teams that have overspent in recent years.

How on earth would offering a player wages on a 3 year deal mean we end up like Derby or Birmingham?

Mucca Mad Boys

How on earth would offering a player wages on a 3 year deal mean we end up like Derby or Birmingham?

That’s not what I said. The point is around overpaying players on our internal valuation. You had Blues and Derby signing players for overinflated transfer fees and wages. Ivan Sunjic cost £6.3 million, for example.

Skyblue Bangkok

If he’s on 15k per week now and has been offered a ‘record contract’, we’re not competing with 15k per week, are we?

He’ll be a good signing if we get it over the line, but if PNE want to desperately keep him and throw money at him, leave them to it.
Preston have a much smaller fan base too, let them throw their money away , 15k in the Championship is a lot.

Sky Blue Pete

Think saddle makes a good point
Expectations need to match budget and investment
Robins and adi will of course continue to get more out than is expected and we clearly have far far more playing staff assets than we have had for many years and our wage bill is higher than for years

but …. If it’s top 10 then we have to manage our hopes
We’ll see - still lots to be excited about

Mucca Mad Boys

That’s not what is on offer though, is it? If PNE are outbidding Sheffield United for Browne, does it not tell you that they’re perhaps overpaying him?

You’d think they’re offering close to 22-25k per week to keep their talisman. I’m not sure he’s worth that to us.

fernandopartridge

Bunch of moaning bastards

COH is going and has been for ages because we can’t match premier league wages - that’s fine and that’s appropriate

If we miss out on this guy because Preston offer more money than we think he’s worth then again, disappointing but glad we aren’t being reckless with contracts etc.
Indeed, as decent a player as he may be, do you really want to make a 29 year old your highest paid player

I really doubt he's gonna stay at Preston, no matter what the offer is.

Been there for most of his career and I think he is more than capable of playing in a team that actually pushes for promotion. Will be unreal for us and I do believe he is the exact piece of the puzzle we are missing. Wages he's on is all spec but has probably been offered their highest wage, but does he wanna be the talisman of the mid-table maestro's? Pay him the money, get him to sure up our midfield and go from there...

Mucca Mad Boys

Indeed, as decent a player as he may be, do you really want to make a 29 year old your highest paid player
Players like Simms and Wright are our highest paid players because they’re strikers and the club believe they are players who can compete in the Prem if we got there.

Browne is a top end Championship player and would be a good signing, is he someone to compete in the Prem? Probably not. At 29, a large, multi-year contract is riskier for us than PNE.

SkyBlueMatt

We're always going to live within our means (within reason as there is always going to be a loss).

If the 25k pw limit is true, then good. If we go up 2.5k for a player, then another player we want, asks for 2.5k more. We'll get into a situation where we can't manage/control the wage bill.

Doug putting pressure on MR, the coaches, recruitment, etc saying he wants this or that, is a good thing. We should always try to overachieve but I'm sure he is realistic underneath.

Him coming out and saying he wants playoffs is surely better than saying "due to our finances, we're aiming for midtable, don't get too excited".

Marty

We've lost Kelly, who signed his last contract as club captain in the Championship, he would have been on 10k+ a week I would have thought. So when you look at players like that who produce next to nothing for us and replacing him with a top end player like Browne, for a few grand more, it's worth the money imo, most likely he would be coming in as club captain with a proven pedigree in this division, and we wouldn't need to wait 6 months for him to get upto speed either. Brings with him some much needed bite and leadership to our midfield.

junglej13

That’s not what is on offer though, is it? If PNE are outbidding Sheffield United for Browne, does it not tell you that they’re perhaps overpaying him?

You’d think they’re offering close to 22-25k per week to keep their talisman. I’m not sure he’s worth that to us.
Friend of mine is a PNE fan. He reckons Brown is on £20k a week already and they are offering him more.

The Nixon story is classic agent stuff just trying to drive offers off. Shouldn't see Doug or the club coming in for criticism for not putting their money where their mouth is. Browne fits the profile of someone I think we need at the minute but I couldn't tell you too much about him and have never noticed him against us. He's got to want to come to play for us not simply be touting himself to the highest bidder.

Last edited:

Saddlebrains

We've lost Kelly, who signed his last contract as club captain in the Championship, he would have been on 10k+ a week I would have thought. So when you look at players like that who produce next to nothing for us and replacing him with a top end player like Browne, for a few grand more, it's worth the money imo, most likely he would be coming in as club captain with a proven pedigree in this division, and we wouldn't need to wait 6 months for him to get upto speed either. Brings with him some much needed bite and leadership to our midfield.

Stop talking sense

Users who are viewing this thread