Aaron Martin (1 Viewer)

steve82

Interesting piece in the telegraph and a interesting quote to read back from TM

I didn't realise Aaron Martin has snapped his Achilles' tendon last December and in now returning to fitness. Anyway the main interesting bit was TMs reason for releasing him. It still amazes me now

Mowbray told the Telegraph: “It was a tough decision – probably the toughest decision of them all I’d have to say because he has done everything I have asked of him.

“I have a photofit of how I see central defenders – I want them to come in and be aggressive and, at times, go to war and be leaders and men.

“Listen, he’s a fantastic lad and I haven’t got anything negative to say about him but he just falls a bit short of the central defender that I want for this football club, to be the man who can dominate the back line."

So he goes and signed for a fee Jordan Turnbull. A like for like in character and similar in abilities.

The most bizarre decision of the whole summer 2016.

Ex-City defender bravely battling his way back from horror injury

Grendel

Mowbray turned about to be a bit of a lemon really didn't he

He couldn't adjust to being a league one manager. Trying to shop in waitrose on an aldi budget couldn't work and he wouldn't budge. He will be the big spender at Blackburn in this league.

His decline here and refusal to adapt was unacceptable.

coop

Maybe he should of kept Reda as he was the player he was looking although he was out injured for most of our season and has green piss.

Hobo

Interesting piece in the telegraph and a interesting quote to read back from TM

I didn't realise Aaron Martin has snapped his Achilles' tendon last December and in now returning to fitness. Anyway the main interesting bit was TMs reason for releasing him. It still amazes me now

Mowbray told the Telegraph: “It was a tough decision – probably the toughest decision of them all I’d have to say because he has done everything I have asked of him.

“I have a photofit of how I see central defenders – I want them to come in and be aggressive and, at times, go to war and be leaders and men.

“Listen, he’s a fantastic lad and I haven’t got anything negative to say about him but he just falls a bit short of the central defender that I want for this football club, to be the man who can dominate the back line."

So he goes and signed for a fee Jordan Turnbull. A like for like in character and similar in abilities.

The most bizarre decision of the whole summer 2016.

Ex-City defender bravely battling his way back from horror injury

Yet when Mowbray arrived, he got Martin to concentrate on the basics and simple side of defending. It was under Mowbray that Martin started to look half decent. Before Mowbray arrived Martin was on most City fans lists to be binned at the end of the season.

Gazolba

This all just goes to prove that Mowbray is not the great manager most of us thought he was.
Those blank looks in most of the photos of him should have told us something.

martcov

This all just goes to prove that Mowbray is not the great manager most of us thought he was.
Those blank looks in most of the photos of him should have told us something.

A bit like Venus' post Sheffield match interview look which showed he was not the man to succeed TM...

steve82

Yet when Mowbray arrived, he got Martin to concentrate on the basics and simple side of defending. It was under Mowbray that Martin started to look half decent. Before Mowbray arrived Martin was on most City fans lists to be binned at the end of the season.

Yeah, all true. Mowbray got him playing, but then binned him off at the end of his contract while paying a fee for a like for like replacement on a already tight budget.

That's what don't make sense.

Hobo

Yeah, all true. Mowbray got him playing, but then binned him off at the end of his contract while paying a fee for a like for like replacement on a already tight budget.

That's what don't make sense.

I thought Martin had perhaps done enough to earn another contract. However Mowbray deciding he perhaps didn't quite have enough and releasing him wasn't necessarily a wrong decision.

Turnbull I think had more potential and a better ball playing centre half, when playing with confidence. I personally don't see Turnbull as a like for like replacement. I think it is evident Mowbray was still looking for his dominant centre half, which never materialised.

Sometimes you have to let players go before the replacement is across the line. Signing players isn't easy and sometimes funds need to be freed up. We don't know what the targets were and why we missed out. Football clubs don't tend to say oh we went for him and him and didn't get him. Because that would relegate a future signing to a third choice signing.

Mowbray tried to be patient but it backfired because he didn't get enough quality across the line. Possibly because he was setting his sights too high for our budget.

Whether we would have been more robust retaining Martin we will never know.

Ricketts

I was chatting to TM at one of the sponsors training day things and he was saying how skilful and excellent some of the players are, Cian Harries and that kid I cant remember his name, funny hairband, went to Norwich reserves.

As an example of how unskilful players are, he used Aaaaron Martin.

skyblue025

Mowbray had his targets lined up then his budget was slashed. He went from his first or second choices to his last choices which as we know weren't up to it. Turnbull was a disappointment, but Southampton fans were unhappy he was released as they thought he would be pushing for the first team.

Mowbray gave us six months of hope and excellent football. If he had been given a bit more support maybe we would of signed a better calibre of player than Henderson, Damage and Hunt. He was also incredibly unlucky in that every centre half we had got a long term injury.

Grendel

Mowbray had his targets lined up then his budget was slashed. He went from his first or second choices to his last choices which as we know weren't up to it. Turnbull was a disappointment, but Southampton fans were unhappy he was released as they thought he would be pushing for the first team.

Mowbray gave us six months of hope and excellent football. If he had been given a bit more support maybe we would of signed a better calibre of player than Henderson, Damage and Hunt. He was also incredibly unlucky in that every centre half we had got a long term injury.

His slashed budget? So signing Turnbull on a fee and not resigning Martin was a sign of that? Resigning Ricketts and Tudgay? Embarrassing decisions really.

skyblue025

His slashed budget? So signing Turnbull on a fee and not resigning Martin was a sign of that? Resigning Ricketts and Tudgay? Embarrassing decisions really.

If you have any evidence we paid a fee for Turnbull I wouldn't mind seeing it. I was told he was free with Saints getting 50% sell on. Agree on Ricketts and Tudgay though, were past it.

Nick

Administrator
If you have any evidence we paid a fee for Turnbull I wouldn't mind seeing it. I was told he was free with Saints getting 50% sell on. Agree on Ricketts and Tudgay though, were past it.
I think that it wasn't a free transfer and it was a fee says that?

Brylowes

TM was a seasoned professional CB, he'd played at a certain level for many years and always
Had the respect of fellow professionals and Managers alike.
Being his own position CB plays on his mind to much, if he needs a RB or a LM, or any other
Position you like, he's willing to compromise on A players strengths and weaknesses.
He wants to build a team in front of his CBs and they have to fit his profile "very closely"

Brylowes

Or desperate decisions,,,,,By a demoralised man,,,,,,,,Chasing a Lost Cause.

CJ_covblaze

Releasing Martin and selling Vincelot so we could buy Turnbull is incompetence at the highest order. Turnbull took several months to adjust and even then only had a couple of half decent games. Martin wasn't brilliant but 9/10 times he did what was asked of him. Vincelot was probably our best player. It was a ludicrous decision and one that is partly to blame for our relegation.

Fergusons_Beard

Honestly don't understand what the obsession with Martin is.

Bloody useless when he was here and bloody useless since!

I saw him at Oxford and he couldn't even get a game for them in Div 4.

Lots of ifs, buts and maybes.

But then that's always the case with anyone who leaves our club.

Interestingly no one saying the same thing about Kyle Reid and he arguably the better player....

PUSB SOTV IMCH NOAM (Not One Acronym More)

Joy Division

Honestly don't understand what the obsession with Martin is.

Bloody useless when he was here and bloody useless since!

I saw him at Oxford and he couldn't even get a game for them in Div 4.

Lots of ifs, buts and maybes.

But then that's always the case with anyone who leaves our club.

Interestingly no one saying the same thing about Kyle Reid and he arguably the better player....

PUSB SOTV IMCH NOAM (Not One Acronym More)

Not sure everyone is saying he was brilliant, just why a manager would release a player that doesnt fit his style of play then replace him with a similar style defender yet pay a fee for him.

Liquid Gold

Giving Tudgay a contract after not playing him in favour of MAF for a season is where we should have seen it all start to come down.

Users who are viewing this thread