a good read (1 Viewer)

Sub

After sorry saga of infighting, moment of truth arrives for Coventry City

In the high court on Friday Coventry could be put into administration, which would result in a 10-point deduction and the end of the team's promotion dream
Ricoh-Arena-Coventry-City-008.jpg
Coventry moved to the Ricoh Arena in 2005 but unpaid rent on the stadium of £1.3m has led to a high court hearing. Photograph: Tony Marshall/Empics Sport

"Coventry was alive when the team paraded through the city after we won the FA Cup and Coventry was alive today," said the former Sky Blues defender Kirk Stephens in 2007, after the official opening of the Ricoh Arena. "I arranged for a meeting of 60 former Coventry City players last week and saw two 70-year-old men cry because they are so pleased with the changes they've seen."

Those comments came a year after Coventry had been playing in their new home, but one wonders what Stephens thinks now, six years on, with City due to appear at the high court on Friday when a judge will decide whether to place the club into administration, resulting in the deduction of 10 points and an end to the team's hopes of promotion from League One this season. A penny also for the thoughts of Steven Pressley, the manager appointed only two weeks ago who has guided his new side to two wins from three and within grasp of a play-off spot.

For those unfamiliar with City's plight, it is a sorry tale that is sure to depress any football fan who believes the game has lost touch with reality. This sepulchral saga has been driven to the brink of implosion by two parties that have endured a bitter relationship over the past six years. Inevitably, something has had to give.

Coventry city council and the Higgs Trust both hold a 50% stake in Arena Coventry Ltd, the company that owns the Ricoh Arena. ACL have been at odds with the club's owners since 2007, when the Mayfair-based hedge-fund Sisu, run by the American-Scandinavian Joy Seppala, took control of Coventry with the help of Ray Ranson. The outgoing chairman, Joe Elliott, said at the time: "I am sure that Ray Ranson and Sisu Capital will help drive Coventry City forward into a brand new era for the club."

It has certainly been a new era, but perhaps not the one that Elliott would have expected.
Previous mismanagement meant the club was forced into renting the stadium instead of owning it, despite Sisu's attempts since to purchase a stake in ACL, with the stadium owners last week issuing an administration order to the high court over £1.3m in unpaid rent since April last year. ACL, which issued third party debt orders against the club in February having previously issued a statutory demand, offered to reduce that annual rent to £400,000. The club agreed to that offer but a row over who would retain matchday revenue at the stadium led to a breakdown in negotiations and a stand-off.

The club's chief executive, Tim Fisher, told the Guardian last week that unless the negotiations recommenced there would be "no option" but to file for administration. "The only thing I will say at this stage is that ACL and the council have got their own purpose and their own agenda for putting us into administration," Fisher said on Wednesday. It remains to be seen how Sisu responds to the administration order in court, although it could still pay the £1.3m before a hearing and potentially avoid a doomsday scenario. It could also make its own representations in court and an adjournment is another possibility
James Powell, a partner for Walker Morris, who will represent ACL, said: "Based on experience, the business and assets of the club are more valuable if there is certainty to what has happened with the points, that's why if unfortunately there was to be a deduction we would prefer that to happen this season so that a potential purchaser has the certainty of knowing it's happened.

"I think you've got to look at the facts the best you can. Action had to be taken because the danger of going into liquidation was so high that we had to act. The Guardian's article of Monday last week was supportive of the decision to go down this route. The opposition's interest may be to fight but is that in the best interest of the club?"
Preston Haskell, a potential new owner, has been lined up by ACL for a future takeover should the club enter administration and Brendan Guilfoyle is ACL's choice to be the administrator. Haskell, an American property tycoon who was interested in a deal with Leeds United last year, has reportedly been shown around the Ricoh Arena by ACL's interim chief executive, Jacky Isaac, and has an estimated worth of $250m (£157m).
Fisher and club director Mark Labovitch, told the Guardian last week that they did not expect a wealthy backer to come in for the club and that alternative arrangements for playing away from the Ricoh Arena were already in place. They had been in lengthy discussions with the Football League about building a new stadium nearer to Coventry's city centre and in the meantime planned to ground-share with a League club in the west Midlands.

"The council seem to be quite naively hopeful that there is a Russian oligarch or a sheikh waiting to take over," Labovitch said. "I think that's unrealistic. I do a lot of work in the Gulf and know a lot of the sheikhs who are interested in football quite well, they want trophies. They don't talk to another Gulf royal and say 'I've bought Coventry City'.
"I was staggered when they first mentioned building a new stadium but when you look at the way we are denied revenues that we used to have at Highfield Road, that were given away and had nothing return, it is strange that the economics of building a new stadium actually stack up. It is ridiculous and wasteful because what would happen to the Ricoh Arena is that weeds would come up through the cracks in the concrete and it would become a white elephant."

Fisher said: "What I've found, whether I'm in Tesco car park holding two bags of shopping on a Friday night or walking around in the city centre on a Thursday morning, is supporters stopping you and saying 'just pay the rent, Tim, just pay it and we can all move on'. Then, when I unravel the argument in front of them, they then say 'for god's sake, you've got to get the right deal for the club, we've got to think long-term, Tim'."
The question of which side is in the right has been much debated by frustrated supporters, who have seen their team slide deeper into a gaping abyss since relegation from the Premier League in 2001, after 34 years in the top flight.

Jan Mokrzycki, spokesman for the Sky Blues Supporters Trust, believes the club had to move from their old stadium. He said: "People say 'we should never have moved', but we had to move. Highfield Road needed so much money spending on it, there was no room to expand because it was surrounded by housing and it only held 20,000 people. Looking back on it that's all we need now but had we stayed in the Premiership or Championship we would have been at capacity sometimes. The reasons for moving at the time were extremely valid." He continued: The whole thing has got so stupid, it's now no longer about contracts, finance or anything else – it's just personal."
Stephens may argue that, at Coventry City, that used to be a good thing.

SkyBlueRabb5

Good article but certainly don't agree with the final bit... SBST saying the move from HR was for the best. I'm a massive HR fan & not so much of the Ricoh. Partly sentimental yes but logically as well. We didn't & still don't need more than 23k capacity. Not looking forward to the court appearance but would it offer a clean slate???

torchomatic

Yes, interesting stuff. I don't agree with the bit about leaving HR either, we didn't need to leave and we shouldn't have left.

ryb1983ccfc

The move from highffield road was for the best but the move was mismanaged from the start! The idea of building another stadium is absolute tripe! Lets make the amazing ground we have now work!

H

Harry Grout

And the big plus with staying at HR?? There would have been no SISU, ACL or Council pulling CCFC apart like a rag doll. And as fans, perhaps we could be spending our time discussing footy.

SkyBlueRabb5

Why was the move from HR for the best (just out of interest, I'm not being provocative!) The way I see it, capacity wasn't an issue (when was the last time we were selling out regularly enough to warrant a larger ground?), location wasn't an issue & at the time (2001-05) we weren't making any serious bid for promotion. Yes the stadium could've done with a little TLC but I've certainly been away to a lot worse over past 12 years!

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Since when did HR only hold 20,000? And compared to some of the grounds we've visited in our time away from the Premiership, it really wasnt that bad a ground.

Without meaning to sound like im making a dig at the SBTrust, but who do they convas opinions from in order to speak on behalf of the fans?

H

Harry Grout

Highfield road move in hindsight will always look like a bad move when compared to where we find ourselves today.

Yes and in hindsight, moving from HR to the Ricoh was like leaving the Jolly Roger for the Titanic.

Monkeyface

Yes but Jan has spoken for us all again.

Look if you don't want Jan being the only voice heard, join the Trust and put yourself forward. I certainly don't agree with him on his position with regards to HR, I think it was a bloody disaster for the club. But I do agree with him on many other points and I've not got the nuts to stand up and be counted in the way he is.

At a time like this journalists are going to be looking for fans points of view and the Trust are out there and willing to talk. To quote an all to well used phrase 'there's no alternative!'

cloughie

look forward to you explaining where they spent the 45 mil

Not on management fees or interest accrued on loans to CCFC then :whistle:

And before anyone says the accounts show they haven't taken any money you are right they just stack it up as a debt

AFCCOVENTRY

Interesting that a proper paper like the guardian actually saying Haskell in the wings.

Have a feeling that Sisu will scupper every move by acl and wiggle their way out of court on friday

SBS

I also disagree with the SBT views in this article. It was more than adequate and I don't see how things could be any worse if we were still there compared to now.

I would also love to hear from someone who's has a chat with Mr Fisher in Coventry town centre. I'm a bit skeptical that he's ever been to Cov town centre, let alone openly debated the rent issue there.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I also disagree with the SBT views in this article. It was more than adequate and I don't see how things could be any worse if we were still there compared to now.

I would also love to hear from someone who's has a chat with Mr Fisher in Coventry town centre. I'm a bit skeptical that he's ever been to Cov town centre, let alone openly debated the rent issue there.

What about the Tesco story. Surely hes convinced you with that........ :whistle:

SkyBlueRabb5

I actually bumped into TF & SW in a pub in Victoria station after Spurs game in Jan! TF was well rehearsed with PR answers & was generally sketchy about the Ricoh. He was quick to jump on the HR saga being poorly managed by predecessors as a scapegoat for our recent predicament (a bit like the Tories keep doing with the national debt & previous govmt!). However, he didn't have any Tesco bags that I could see, nor did I lecture him on securing the long term future of our club... on the grounds that I thought this was a given...! He did offer to buy me a beer tho so for that I was grateful!

H

Harry Grout

I actually bumped into TF & SW in a pub in Victoria station after Spurs game in Jan! TF was well rehearsed with PR answers & was generally sketchy about the Ricoh. He was quick to jump on the HR saga being poorly managed by predecessors as a scapegoat for our recent predicament (a bit like the Tories keep doing with the national debt & previous govmt!). However, he didn't have any Tesco bags that I could see, nor did I lecture him on securing the long term future of our club... on the grounds that I thought this was a given...! He did offer to buy me a beer tho so for that I was grateful!

'Generally sketchy about the Ricoh'?? Hope you told him it's a bloody big white elephant close to Jct 3 of the M6, you can't miss it. ;)

Skybluecj

The Ricoh has Bn great for what it has brought to the city in regards off Olympics, Rugby, Concerts, etc but for the club it has been a little disastrous.

Personally, love the Ricoh, love the city and club, and just wish things would get sorted and people of Coventry had something to cheer about.

Hopefully a new owner can bring stability to the club because that's all we need right now

italiahorse

When we moved from HR we all said it was the best thing since sliced bread.
Dated stadium with the exception of the East stand. No parking, particularly for residents.
The Ricoh was fantastic, all ready for our expansion and Premier League expectations.
We were loving it and we didn't care that CCFC management had miscalculated and welcomed CCC when they stepped in to save the day.
Now we are in trouble everybody is blaming both sides depending on whether you like SISU or not and ridiculously blaming the stadium for all our poor performances.
CCFC at the Ricoh is the only way forward and we all need to work towards that. Anything else is not going to happen while CCFC exists.

rob9872

Not just jan once again "spokesman for the trust" ... is that the view of you all? This is why I would be a hypocrite to join when I share so few of their views and they would insist on representing me.

And whoever said that he puts himself out there, I like many others would happily portray my views to the media, but they didn't contact me, because I'm not in the trust - can you see how circular this becomes?

rob9872

When we moved from HR we all said it was the best thing since sliced bread.
Dated stadium with the exception of the East stand. No parking, particularly for residents.
The Ricoh was fantastic, all ready for our expansion and Premier League expectations.
We were loving it and we didn't care that CCFC management had miscalculated and welcomed CCC when they stepped in to save the day.
Now we are in trouble everybody is blaming both sides depending on whether you like SISU or not and ridiculously blaming the stadium for all our poor performances.
CCFC at the Ricoh is the only way forward and we all need to work towards that. Anything else is not going to happen while CCFC exists.

If you thought it was dated you could go to the newer east stand. The main was the only shabby ine really, but I loved the west end and that will always be my spiritual home.

georgehudson

so let's cut to the quick,
sisu, let all have a detailed, realistic, reasoned, honest, open, & transparent breakdown of this £45m

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Highfield Road would not have got a safety certificate and needed 10 million pounds spending on it. I loved the place but some on here are forgetting what it was like the West End smelly dirty toilets cramped seats small bar crap view unless it was full atmosphere
none. As a matter of interest what was the average attendance last year HR first year Ricoh?

rob9872

Highfield Road would not have got a safety certificate and needed 10 million pounds spending on it. I loved the place but some on here are forgetting what it was like the West End smelly dirty toilets cramped seats small bar crap view unless it was full atmosphere
none. As a matter of interest what was the average attendance last year HR first year Ricoh?

Where on earth did you magic up the £10m figure for a safety certificate from? It may have required some updating but notging to that magnitude, particularly if you vear in mind some of the places that we have been to since then.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

West Stand steel had corroded so therefore had to be replaced and how much do you think it would have cost? But more importantly we had already bsold the ground and why do you think we did that?

rob9872

We sold the grund because of greed. It was supposed to be a bid fir the national stadium originally.

coundonskyblue

<p>
Highfield Road would not have got a safety certificate and needed 10 million pounds spending on it. I loved the place but some on here are forgetting what it was like the West End smelly dirty toilets cramped seats small bar crap view unless it was full atmosphere </p>
<p>none. As a matter of interest what was the average attendance last year HR first year Ricoh?
<

16k at HR

21k at RA

Also its worth pointing out that last season, despite being in the bottom 3 all year, the average was still higher than most of the championship years at HR.

Skybluefaz

a big if, but if we were in the premier league we'd be selling the ricoh out on a regular basis. look at Crewe this season. A sniff of success and the place was packed.

marcusCCFCjones

Maybe it's time to move on from HR. it's in the past, it's gone, what is the point talking about it? We can't change history. Maybe it's time to look forward to either another year in league 1 and if that means SISU out and a new owner, maybe it would be worth it. No one knows where we would be if we stayed at HR, it's gone, move on. PUSB

Users who are viewing this thread